Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What method is the best way of studying?

• 02-08-2012 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So yeah as you guys may know I have my end of the year exams coming up in June 2013 so worried about it already. Anyways I keep telling myself I'm gonna study I'm gonna study today. But I don't start and keep on playing video games or searching the web etc.... Anyone know what I can do and also a good method of studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

procrastination.

nah but really personally i wouldn't advise studying over the summer holidays because you don't want to burn out.
    i found it really hard to concentrate so what i did was write notes. like i'd write big long ones first then make smaller versions and make them into colourful mind maps and stuff, so i was writing out stuff 3/4/5 times and it was eventually going in because i said it when i wrote it, i looked at it, i heard it, so i was using all my senses if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

GET OFF BOARDS AND STUDY is a method I found good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The more you go over the material the more you will retain, its that simple.

I used to highlight important parts in notes and books, write it all out short hand, go over the stuff in short hand, practice equations and/or sample questions.
    When that was complete, i practiced past exam questions with notes handy. Made note of the topics i had to go to my notes for the most . Review the material again with an emphasis on the parts im most unfamiliar with.

Did this as much as possible and as regular as possible in the run up to the exams. The information stayed fresh in my mind that way.

Aural and oral exams, well i made sh*t of those

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

The more you go over the material the more you will retain, its that simple.

I used to highlight important parts in notes and books, write it all out short hand, go over the stuff in short hand, practice equations and/or sample questions.
    When that was complete, i practiced past exam questions with notes handy. Made note of the topics i had to go to my notes for the most . Review the material again with an emphasis on the parts im most unfamiliar with.

Did this as much as possible and as regular as possible in the run up to the exams. The information stayed fresh in my mind that way.

Aural and oral exams, well i made sh*t of those

Thank You for your answers also thanks to everyone else for taking their time to answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I did my leaving cert back in 2009, got a little over 500 points which I was pretty happy with considering the amount of work I put in, the points I needed and my own (rather limited) level of smarts. What worked for me and what continued to work for the last 3 years of college, was being relaxed.

I did a few hours every weekday evening after school all through leaving cert year (and slightly less stringently throughout fifth year). At no point did I allow myself to get stressed or take on too much work at once. I've never stayed up all night studying for an exam and I hope I never will. In fact, I pretty much stopped studying a week or two before the leaving cert (just did enough flicking through my notes to make sure I didn't forget what I'd already learnt).

I used to cycle the 16km to and from school every day and always allow myself an hour after school to mess around with the lads before heading home to the books and at least another hour to chill out before bed. Relaxation is key, as is a good night sleep every night, regular exercise and a decent diet. All these will help you concentrate and prevent you from getting over-stressed.
    Obviously, following a systematic study planning and actually getting your work done is what's going to get you the marks but you have to keep yourself in a condition to make use of your study time and that means not being consumed by worry about how you're going to do, what you've done so far and all that you've left to do.

In my year about 10 of us got 500 points or more. One guy took the super serious, study all summer, shut down the social life, concentrate solely on the exams, he got 600 points. The rest of us refused the take the whole thing too seriously, did a level of work that was commensurate with our academic needs and accepted the fact that if you do a moderate amount of work and are of average or above intelligence then the leaving cert is not going to be the end of your academic career unless you want it to.

Personally, I'd rather get 500 odd points and enjoy my final year in school than 600 points and not see sunlight for 9 months. So no, you shouldn't be studying over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I did my leaving cert back in 2009, got a little over 500 points which I was pretty happy with considering the amount of work I put in, the points I needed and my own (rather limited) level of smarts. What worked for me and what continued to work for the last 3 years of college, was being relaxed.

I did a few hours every weekday evening after school all through leaving cert year (and slightly less stringently throughout fifth year). At no point did I allow myself to get stressed or take on too much work at once. I've never stayed up all night studying for an exam and I hope I never will. In fact, I pretty much stopped studying a week or two before the leaving cert (just did enough flicking through my notes to make sure I didn't forget what I'd already learnt).

I used to cycle the 16km to and from school every day and always allow myself an hour after school to mess around with the lads before heading home to the books and at least another hour to chill out before bed. Relaxation is key, as is a good night sleep every night, regular exercise and a decent diet. All these will help you concentrate and prevent you from getting over-stressed.
    Obviously, following a systematic study planning and actually getting your work done is what's going to get you the marks but you have to keep yourself in a condition to make use of your study time and that means not being consumed by worry about how you're going to do, what you've done so far and all that you've left to do.

In my year about 10 of us got 500 points or more. One guy took the super serious, study all summer, shut down the social life, concentrate solely on the exams, he got 600 points. The rest of us refused the take the whole thing too seriously, did a level of work that was commensurate with our academic needs and accepted the fact that if you do a moderate amount of work and are of average or above intelligence then the leaving cert is not going to be the end of your academic career unless you want it to.

Personally, I'd rather get 500 odd points and enjoy my final year in school than 600 points and not see sunlight for 9 months. So no, you shouldn't be studying over the summer.

Wow great Job! And thank you for the great answer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no one size fits all for studying. You need to find a method that suits you.

For some people it will be summarising notes on to cards, for some listening to information on an mp3. Others will prefer mind maps. Everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

as spurious said everyone is different and has different study methods :) for me I made rhymes or I read more on topics or I just kept writing things down. for my music friends they would make up songs, for my arty friends they would draw pics and stuff and mind maps. it just all depends on yourself tbh :)
    look stop worrying bout 6th year now, you still have a month left of summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

I always wrote loads notes and then just went over them.At the start of 6th year these notes were a couple of A4 pages long but by the time June came I had more concise notes, or just key things on flash cards!

But seriously, stop giving yourself such a hard time over not studying, you'll do enough of that during the year!Chill out, relax and enjoy your summer.Then start 6th year feeling refreshed and ready to work hard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Im a repeat student and i found the best way was to if at all possible dont fall behind on your study. Id agree with above posters not to study over summer but its entirely your own decision. In my first year doing the leaving i was lazy and like you put almost everything before study and lacked motivation. But this year i actually got on top of my work from the beginning and actually enjoyed studying. If you find your own way of studying and work constantly throughout the year you will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I always just read over the material over and over again and then looked away and said it out in my head to test myself. I never wrote anything out or spoke anything aloud.

Advertisement