Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benq MS513 Projector

Options
  • 02-08-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Benq MS513

Video Modes 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 480i, 576i, 576p
    Resolution SVGA (800 x 600)
    Native Aspect Ratio 4:3
    Colour Support 1.07 billion colours
    Bulb type 190 Watt
    Bulb life cycle 4500 hour(s) / 6500 hour(s) (economic mode)
    Microsoft Certification Compatible with Windows 7

Just want to know what people think of this as a projector? The price looks very good but I'm concerned about a few things. Firstly, the native aspect ration is 4:3 yet the projector is said to support 1080p. Would this resolution be supported in a different aspect ratio do you think? Because if it's just 4:3 then there isn't much point in getting this.

Also the resolution is stated as being SVGA 800:600 - a 4:3 aspect ratio. Is this just a factory default and when I change video mode, the projector will then project at the determined resolution of say full HD if I choose? Or is it just a case that the projector can read a 1080p file and project it but solely in a 800 x 600 res 4:3 final image?

I'm extremely clueless when it comes to projectors so if someone could help me, that would be great. Or if you could offer an alternative project for around the same price.

Finally, I've noticed on the above site that they have different types of projectors: DLP, LED, LCD. Which would be the better of the three?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Howdy,

The projector you've linked to will take a 1080 signal and re-size it to display it at a lower resolution - as you've pointed out, it is a 800x600 4:3 native resolution, it might have a "widescreen"setting and would display the incoming signal using 800x480 of its pixels, with dark borders at the top and bottom.

You haven't given any indication of you want to use the projector for - movies in a darkened room, or gaming/tv in a room with some/lots of ambient lighting for instance - the projector you've linked to appears to be an office-type projector with lots of brightness used for displaying powerpoint presentations and the like. This would not be an ideal choice for a home cinema projector, but it is bright and comparatively cheap. It really depends on your budget and what you are trying to achieve.

Given that you are new to the topic, I suggest that you do some reading here http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/home-cinema-projectors-advice.htm - ProjectorPoint are a reputable outfit and the advice given on the page I've linked to should answer most of your questions and save me the effort of typing it out in my own words !

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Thanks for that mate. That's an excellent link. Think I've another bit of researching and saving to do.

Advertisement