Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimax Fair Useage Notice!

• 02-08-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Seriously whats this all about, told the rep on the phone that I could be maxing up to 200GB per month when I was signing up with them and was told not a problem its unlimited there is no fair usage! According to my bandwidth monitor I have only reached under 23GB as most of the month I was on holidays. Don't fancy ringing them again as it cost me a arm and a leg, anyone ever get this notice before with them nearly a year all smooth sailing till now. Actually afraid to use my broadband now in the event of them slowing me down :mad:

34g1yci.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

IMO, it's getting ridiculous what sales reps are telling clients. I was told my own (non Wimax) broadband had zero contention (very unlikely) and unlimited downloads (there is a limit, though it's pretty generous).

They'll say anything to make a sale, and it seems they're rarely called up on it. In future I think I'll require all the details of a package in writing before I'll ever change/upgrade service.

I'd definitely chase it up. If you don't do it this month, you're unlikely to do it next month... you'll end up using a fraction of the service for which you've paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

stevek93 wrote: »
    Seriously whats this all about, told the rep on the phone that I could be maxing up to 200GB per month when I was signing up with them and was told not a problem its unlimited there is no fair usage! According to my bandwidth monitor I have only reached under 23GB as most of the month I was on holidays. Don't fancy ringing them again as it cost me a arm and a leg, anyone ever get this notice before with them nearly a year all smooth sailing till now. Actually afraid to use my broadband now in the event of them slowing me down :mad:

I have had my speed restricted for the past week with wimax, was also told that it was unlimited internet, The restriction ends tomorrow so hopefully will have kinda usable internet then.

2097247232.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That's pretty poor. I wouldn't trust a sales agent as far as I could throw them!
    I wouldn't chance going by the word of any salesperson, would much prefer to do my own research.

OP, definitely get in contact with Imagine, advise them what you were told at the point of sale. If they can't provide what the salesperson promised, you should be able to get out of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I have had my speed restricted for the past week with wimax, was also told that it was unlimited internet, The restriction ends tomorrow so hopefully will have kinda usable internet then.

2097247232.png

F**k that blood is a actually boiling now! Going to give them a ring now, ill post back the outcome.

Right according to imagine I have uploaded over a gig in the past day they were right! :eek: Still this wouldn't have bothered as I was told there is no cap/fair usage but they wouldn't comment on this issue, say the rep would i was speaking to used that line before "no cap/fair usage"

What is annoying me now is Id normally download about 2-3GBs a day and they pull me over the upload :confused:

seoxzo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

Right according to imagine I have uploaded over a gig in the past day they were right! :eek: Still this wouldn't have bothered as I was told there is no cap/fair usage but they wouldn't comment on this issue, say the rep would i was speaking to used that line before "no cap/fair usage"

What is annoying me now is Id normally download about 2-3GBs a day and they pull me over the upload :confused:

Screenshot_from_2012_08_03_212810.png

Screenshot_from_2012_08_03_212810.png

It seems to me there focusing more more on upload than download :confused:

Seriously though, they are not implying that you watch nexflix between the hours of 3-6am :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did you order over the phone? And did the sales agent actually say the words "no fair usage policy"?

If so, I'd be calling them and demanding a refund of all costs incurred. They record the calls so you can ask for a copy.

Did you order over the phone? And did the sales agent actually say the words "no fair usage policy"?

If so, I'd be calling them and demanding a refund of all costs incurred. They record the calls so you can ask for a copy.

Yes and yes. No point i don't think unless i had the date and time and the agents name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes and yes. No point i don't think unless i had the date and time and the agents name.
    They'll know the date and time and agents name from when the sale was entered, which will be recorded on your account.

• Advertisement

They'll know the date and time and agents name from when the sale was entered, which will be recorded on your account.

Might give them a ring so Monday if i think of it :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marrossko

Every ISP has Fair Usage Policy now. It is writen in T&C...Funny thing is that even I have doenloaded around 20GB on one month and din't received any warning, following mont I have uploaded 1.5GB and they cut me down. :mad: So ebven they offer unlimited download but you still limited.

marrossko wrote: »
    Every ISP has Fair Usage Policy now. It is writen in T&C...Funny thing is that even I have doenloaded around 20GB on one month and din't received any warning, following mont I have uploaded 1.5GB and they cut me down. :mad: So ebven they offer unlimited download but you still limited.

Its seems you can download as much as you want without going mad but when you start uploading thats when there on to you. Mad :confused:

Just to bump this thread back up. Speed was limited today unsurprisingly! After 2 fair usage warnings from Imagine and 2 online chats which both agents could not tell me a fixed limited on a cap just talking in circles like a politician. Where do I go from here? They seriously can't just keep limiting my speed and get away with it. Unfortunately I am stuck with Imagine unless a better fixed wireless ISP comes along. Hopefully we will see something good with the launch of 4G. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Never mind that singing bollox on the telly I have nothing but bad experience with wimax. With their broadcast tower in view outside the window we only ever got about 2mbps and were paying for 8. What sent me over the edge was the fair usage policy and them throttling our speed for internet I had certainly not used.

Now my flatmates are much heavier users than me and they are convinced we didnt use the 200 or so gb they were on about us using, but I'm more skeptical. Remember every ISP has a usage policy on the bandwidth you are using, so it's a given that that's the sum of all uploads + downloads. They would torrent til the cows came home, and watch endless shows on the internet before netflix arrived. I would be inclined to believe wimax on this one.

UPC now they don't seem to give a crap :D

Never mind that singing bollox on the telly I have nothing but bad experience with wimax. With their broadcast tower in view outside the window we only ever got about 2mbps and were paying for 8. What sent me over the edge was the fair usage policy and them throttling our speed for internet I had certainly not used.

Now my flatmates are much heavier users than me and they are convinced we didnt use the 200 or so gb they were on about us using, but I'm more skeptical. Remember every ISP has a usage policy on the bandwidth you are using, so it's a given that that's the sum of all uploads + downloads. They would torrent til the cows came home, and watch endless shows on the internet before netflix arrived. I would be inclined to believe wimax on this one.

As for the speeds if you are using the Motorola modem and not the thingy they stick on the wall outside, try logging into the modems web interface typing 192.168.15.1:2000 into your browser click on Status now have a look at the WiMAX CINR if its anything below 18 try moving your router the slightest inch and see does it go up assuming you have it beside a window and set to Auto Refresh, the thing with this is it can be a hit and miss but you will get it in the end.

Now as for the fair usage, it should be a actual figure instead of just words that really just mean nothing at the end of the day. I keep being told I am effecting other users on the network how am I suppose to know this?! Should be some what of a law on what ISP's can demand as fair usage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Go over their FUP cap twice and come back here and say that.

Nody wrote: »
    Go over their FUP cap twice and come back here and say that.

How could you download 500gb twice for that matter. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So far our busiest month was 425, you'd want to really be battering it to surpass 500GB.

Whats your speeds? I suppose if you have the 50mb it wouldn't be to hard to reach that with a few people on the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, we're only on 30Mb, but even with 150Mb it'd only take a small bit of management not to go over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Was looking for a new ISP recently, and was glad to find this thread. Salesperson on the phone admitted to 'throttling speeds' and the 'fair usage policy' upon being questioned, seconds after telling me about their wonderful unlimited broadband.

Another weird thing about wimax/ imagine. I have been applying for jobs recently, and yesterday got a call from a guy talking about imagine / wimax sales.
    I was told if i got 1 business ('you must have family member or friend who owns a business'?) to purchase wimax from me, and got 5 friends to do the same (get 1 business to purchase broadband from them), i would recieve 2,200e per month! Bloody pyramid scheme.

So glad i didn't sign up to a years contract with them!

Advertisement