Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill brambles?

Options
  • 02-08-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to kill those pesky wild blackberry brambles?

they seem to pop up everywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was another thread on this recently. Don't just cut them back, that will encourage them. They are growing vigorously at the moment (I have some amazing specimens in my front garden!). It is not a quick job getting rid of them, you need patience!

I have doused them with systemic weedkiller, then when they show signs of dying back I will give them a couple of weeks, then cut them down just to tidy them. They will probably come back next year, but not as vigorous. Repeat the douse and leave procedure. After a couple of years all the root will have been treated and they will stop growing.

It is most important to leave them after they have been treated for the weedkiller to get down into the roots, it needs at least a couple of weeks. If they are not looking sick at that stage you could give them another go, but do it before the end of the summer, once they start to go dormant they will not carry the weedkiller back to the roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Try a chemical called Altix 240 or Tricle.

Follow the instructions on the label and wear the appropriate gloves spray mask and chemical suit.

Sprayfast is good to mix with herbicides as it enables the chemical to stick to it intended target.
    It's a sticky substance which is great for this kind of weather :)

I don't condone the use of Chemicals but these two will kill the brambles.
    After the first day you will notice the wilt...

Advertisement