Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Gay Pride

Options
  • 02-08-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Exciting stuff happening...
    Well not really, it's pretty mediocre BUT
    2 Shoes from the X-Factor are playing, nothing says gay pride more like a washed up ex-X-Factor act.
    Anyways, I'm excited. :D

http://waterfordpride.com/#/event-guide-001/4567097173

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's pretty mediocre...there's a washed up ex-factor act...your words. And you're pretty excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Yeah why not.
    More for the parade. Nothing like writing QUEER on your forehead and holding up a middle finger to bigots.
    The LAWLs and bants.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Yeah why not.
    More for the parade. Nothing like writing QUEER on your forehead and holding up a middle finger to bigots.
    The LAWLs and bants.

My brother is gay and he hates these gay pride parades. He just wants to be gay and get on with his life without having to shout about it.
    Can we have a straight pride march?
    Nah but seriously, if people wanna shout it from the rooftops then leave em off. Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Yeah why not.
    The LAWLs and bants.

WTF?:eek: And if someone actually called you a queer youd be up in arms. Takes all sorts I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

7upfree wrote: »
    WTF?:eek: And if someone actually called you a queer youd be up in arms. Takes all sorts I suppose.

it begins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

7upfree wrote: »

it begins

What begins?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

im gay an i wouldnt want to go around with queer written on my head prancing round the town, if you wouldnt like to be called it why write in on yourself?

I have it tattooed on my forearm, I have no problem with the word.
    It's a glorious word.
    A word that dreams were made of.
    Or some other bullshi.

Anyways, where do people think would be the best spot to watch the parade from?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I have it tattooed on my forearm, I have no problem with the word.
    It's a glorious word.
    A word that dreams were made of.
    Or some other bullshi.

Anyways, where do people think would be the best spot to watch the parade from?

Behind someone hahaha . Nah no idea man . Just join in with it sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In a country that still discriminates against people based on their sexual orientation, I say - long may these parades continue until discrimination is gone from this island.

• Advertisement

Parades aint gonna rid the country of discrimination. Nothing will. If they wanna have a parade, then fair play to them for making the effort. Us straight people are too damn lazy to do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Parades aint gonna rid the country of discrimination. Nothing will. If they wanna have a parade, then fair play to them for making the effort. Us straight people are too damn lazy to do something like that.

Exactly! Whatever about people's opinions on the acts performing or whatever, but a lot of effort is going into staging this by a lot of people, it's bringing something 'more' into Waterford City so fair play to Waterford Pride for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Behind someone hahaha . Nah no idea man . Just join in with it sure.

HAHA ah yeah that was asked for:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Waterford needs the pink pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

dlofnep wrote: »
    In a country that still discriminates against people based on their sexual orientation, I say - long may these parades continue until discrimination is gone from this island.

In fairness I have seen some of the marches from around the world on television and I am not someone who is homophobic one bit but they way some of them parade around half naked is not going to do them one bit of a favour. Hopefully one day there will be no discrimination in this country but I think the parades are not going to help in the least probably even hinder progress but thats just my 2cent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

There will always be discrimination in Ireland. When your son goes for a job in a few years and they decide to give a % of jobs to gays or women that's discrimination!

FishBowel wrote: »
    There will always be discrimination in Ireland. When your son goes for a job in a few years and they decide to give a % of jobs to gays or women that's discrimination!

Well then *fingers crossed* your son turns out to be gay or a woman or both.
    Or that he's just so effortlessly impressive it won't matter what gender or orientation he is.
    Wouldn't that be nice. Getting a job based solely on your merits.
    What a world that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

a lot of people hate the parades I dont have anything against gay people but them parades are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

FishBowel wrote: »
    Waterford needs the pink pound.
    a place to lock up stray gays?

Well played Tobey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

tankbarry wrote: »
    a lot of people hate the parades I dont have anything against gay people but them parades are a joke.

The parades serve a purpose though. For example, I was friends with two lads years ago, everyone knew they were gay but they'd never tell anyone. Probably not even each other. After school, one went to Dublin and the other to Galway. They both 'found' themselves, came 'out', but never returned home. They felt people in Waterford were far more close-minded then Galway or Dublin. In fairness they probably had a point then.

Things like Dignity Bar and Waterford Pride give the kids in the closet these days a sense of place and IMO that's a good thing, it saves the heartache of not being able to be yourself around family and friends, or having to leave to feel comfortable somewhere else. Waterford has come on leaps and bounds for the gay community in the last few years, the parade is just another thing to keep the momentum going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I've been living in Waterford for the last 15 years and I genuinely have never encountered any kind of homophobia, at any level, in my time here. Everyone that knows me, knows that I'm gay and 90% of my mates are straight and I've never had anyone say anything, in any way, negative or berating towards me or gay people in general. I think thats why I love Waterford soo much! I dunno, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or as from where I see it, Waterford people are just damn decent people!

I don't feel the need to involve myself and enjoy a parade just to let everyone know what I am, but we live in rapidly changing times and my hat goes off to the guys & girls organising, and the people involved with the Pride parade. It does what it says on the tin, Pride and long may it continue. Being proud of something that was only decriminalised in 1993.

Me being Irish, I take pride in being Irish, simply because I acknowledge and deeply respect and for whom I am possibly forever in their debt, the men and women who fought to obtain the rights that we have as a Republic today. It seems to be life in general, if you don't stand up, and voice your feelings, nothing may ever come of it.

Where would anyone be if they didn't stand up and be counted?

Advertisement