Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Restaurant

Options
  • 02-08-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

So what's the best strictly Chinese restaurant in Athlone? Understandably the answers will be subjective but I want opinions please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭glen25

Double Y down near Apple Green gets my vote. Never really ate Chinese in Athlone before that as most places were fairly below par. Plus the couple that run it are really nice which always makes a difference! Meal for two is great value IMO

Double Y down near Apple Green gets my vote. Never really ate Chinese in Athlone before that as most places were fairly below par. Plus the couple that run it are really nice which always makes a difference! Meal for two is great value IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

glen25 wrote: »
    Not a restaurant ...more of a take away / fast food place.
    jia jia or kens get my vote.

Well actually... If we're gonna be pedantic, Double Y has tables and chairs so..

Kens is over rated I think. Jia Jia wasn't too bad.

There's actually no proper Chinese restaurant in Athlone. Lived in Mullingar for a while and there's one there called Lotus Garden, across the road from where Texas is/used to be, and it had great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I agree that Athlone has no top chinese to eat from, every town has some place that is the best but a lot of average ones in Athlone, an open gap in the market!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

glen25 wrote: »
    Well actually... If we're gonna be pedantic, Double Y has tables and chairs so..

Kens is over rated I think. Jia Jia wasn't too bad.

There's actually no proper Chinese restaurant in Athlone. Lived in Mullingar for a while and there's one there called Lotus Garden, across the road from where Texas is/used to be, and it had great food.

Yeah most of the ones in Athlone are ok...there's one out in monksland that ain't half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks for the replies! Dissapointed to hear that there isn't really a 'proper' Chinese in town. Don't fancy venturing to Mullingar for dinner.
    Looking forward to trying Double Y so - where is the Applegreen's again? By B & Q?

Yeah, Double Y is down there by B&Q. Try out the noodle box, ask for the chicken to be cooked with the noodles - yummmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Kin Khao (thai - I know!!!) is the best asian restaurant in Athlone. Service can a bit on the slow side sometimes but food is always excellent.

I've some people saying that the Imperial on Northgate St is going through a mini revival. The spicy ribs there are great!!

Jia Jia is far better than Kens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Yep LOVE King Khao - just wanted to try a Chinese. King Khao is the best Thai food I've had in Ireland (with the exception of Camille in Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Yeah most of the ones in Athlone are ok...there's one out in monksland that ain't half bad.

Got a flyer for that today, looks quite nice inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Is Inniu Kung Fu gone from Church Street, it was up over that men's clothes shop, McGorisks or something? That was a 'proper' restaurant, the head chef was a former head chef in Jasmine Palace in Limerick. I think it closed down though, but not sure, maybe location was not the best or they didn't market it too well.

Advertisement