Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooks Racer ST5

• 02-08-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of the Brooks ST5 Orange and Blue (UK 11) to try out in preparation for the Dublin City Marathon.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these in the Dublin area?

Has anyone any first hand experience of these running shoes?

I'm currently using Asics Hyper 33, but looking towards this shoe for the longer runs....

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Amphibian King in Base2Race Ballymount. Can't swear to the colour or the size they'll have in stock, but I'm pretty sure they had the ST5s yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Amphibian King in Base2Race Ballymount. Can't swear to the colour or the size they'll have in stock, but I'm pretty sure they had the ST5s yesterday

I got mine there a few weeks ago. They are red and white now i think! Never pay much attention to the colors as usually the dirt takes over after a while!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

The ST5's have made an appearance from time to time on the what you wearing now and next thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056465649

I bought mine in Amphibian King in Bray, I think (but am not sure!) that the orange and blue were colours for the previous model, mine are red and white and don't have the usual flash colours for a racer.

More importantly though, these are fast becoming my favourite shoe (maybe ever) they felt comfortable from the first step and have felt great ever since. I thought they are really good value too, especially compared to some of the more cushioned shoes - A definite recommendation from me! ;)

Stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great shoe, i have 3 pairs in rotation now and use them for all my running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What type of gait does this shoe suit? Read great things about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 eleechio24

Thanks for the replies, great responses ...... looking forward to getting my hands on them now.

What are gaits when they're at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

eleechio24 wrote: »
    What are gaits when they're at home?

Your gait is effectively the way you run.
    Everyone runs in a slightly different way - compare someone like Michael Johnson with his upright running style & Paula Radcliffe with her head bobbing.
    Gait is probably more a focus on the legs & foot strike pattern on every stride, whereas running form would be more a focus on the overall body shape and position as you run (though this will affect you foot strike).

Some people will heel strike (heel hits ground first), others have a midfoot strike & some have a forefoot strike. Then there's pronation & suppination - the roll of the foot from outside to inside or vice-versa.
    Running Shoe manufacturers have recognised this & traditionally have different types of shoes to suit various types and levels of these gait patterns.

Gait analysis is an attempt to match a pair of running shoes to your particular running style.

To add to all this, the latest kid on the block is minimal runners, which are basically an attempt to use a reduced amount of support in the shoe to encourage a more natural & more efficient gait.
    It's a whole other ball game, and would need to be planned out & undertaken carefully, as you've likely spent a lifetime in shoes that work against this ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    What type of gait does this shoe suit? Read great things about it

Neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 14 333joemc

These are my favorite running shoe, I've done two Marathons in them, I used to use Brooks Adrenaline but they were a bit heavy and unwieldy for me and I was getting injury niggles in my calves etc, moved down a weight division to the Brooks ST5 and haven't looked back.

I have a gait that would be described as a mild overpronation, these shoes are quite light (9oz) but do offer some stability at the same time. I got mine in Amphibian King Ballymount with a loyalty discount for return customers (-€10) for €70, great value!

I do all my running in them from 20milers to tempo runs and races although this year i'm considering something flatter and lighter for my fast running, its good to try different things.

Advertisement