Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten banged his head.

• 02-08-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

My own fault completely, I was messing this morning before I went to work, chasing the kitten around the kitchen. (He's about 3 months old ish) Anyway, I don't know how he managed it, but he ran straight into the leg of the chair. He gave himself a good bang. He immediately lay on his side with all four legs kicking like mad, like he was having a fit. It was quite scary looking. He stopped after a couple of minutes, got up and went over to his bed. He lay there quiet (unusual for him) for a couple of hours, went to his food bowls, had some food and water, then into the sitting room and climbed up onto the couch and lay down again.

He's done NO running around today (he's usually hyper!) and he looks sleepy. Could he have really hurt himself? Any ideas what it might be or am I over-reacting and worrying about nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Could be concussion, hopefully not permanet damage. To the vet if he's not improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

The fact that he might have have a seizure after the knock would having me thinking a trip to the vet, just to be sure. I hope the little fella is feeling better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought concussion too but was hoping it wasn't. I so wanted to stick him in my pocket and bring him to work, he's so tiny. :( I'll see how he is later and if he's still lethargic, I'll have to get herself to try the vet tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought concussion too but was hoping it wasn't. I so wanted to stick him in my pocket and bring him to work, he's so tiny. :( I'll see how he is later and if he's still lethargic, I'll have to get herself to try the vet tomorrow.

Is there no vet open later today? You mentioned too many 'unusual' things about the kitten. I would go now, if I was you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone I sold a kitten to many years ago lost it like that; it was racing round the garden and straight into a tree trunk and died instantly. No one's fault. Not your's either. They are crazy at times, and short of crating them?

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Is there no vet open later today? You mentioned too many 'unusual' things about the kitten. I would go now, if I was you :)

I'm in work at the minute, won't get home til 6. I'll see what's open then. Herself can't bring him as we have a baby at home who's not well, so she can't move. I'll check the local place later. Thanks man.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone I sold a kitten to many years ago lost it like that; it was racing round the garden and straight into a tree trunk and died instantly. No one's fault. Not your's either. They are crazy at times, and short of crating them?

Thanks G. I still feel sh!t though. If I had just left him alone, he'd be grand. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Yep, I don't want to worry you too much OP, but with concussions it's best to get them treated as soon as possible, best of luck with the little guy :)

Edit: just saw your post there OP, you poor thing it's tricky juggling work a baby and a sick kitty and don't blame yourself for the type of accident that happens everyday.

Lollers wrote: »
    Yep, I don't want to worry you too much OP, but with concussions it's best to get them treated as soon as possible, best of luck with the little guy :)

Thanks Lollers. Can't help but be worried.

Just look how cute he is!!!....

215564.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thanks Lollers. Can't help but be worried.

Just look how cute he is!!!....

215564.jpg

What a cutie, hope she's well soon :)

Anyway, some vets have opening hours from 7-10 in the evening (at least Amy Lara Vets have in Artane). Or maybe the blue cross is around.

• Advertisement

Thanks G. I still feel sh!t though. If I had just left him alone, he'd be grand. :o

I know and that is why I posted that...

It was an accident not deliberate. No guilt, no blame.

NB what does a vet or dr do re concussion? Mostly rest and observation which is what you are doing.. bad day there for thee!

Blessings and peace...

What a cutie, hope she's well soon :)

Anyway, some vets have opening hours from 7-10 in the evening (at least Amy Lara Vets have in Artane). Or maybe the blue cross is around.

Thanks Lars. I had a look and the Pet Hospital in Mullingar is open til 7pm so I should be able to make it.

Praying here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Please Kill Me, our now 10 year old knocked himself out cold on sliding doors as a kitten; he spent the day with a headache too, feeling a little sorry for himself. I imagine you'll go home and the kitten will be fine. Don't blame yourself, cats play fight, chase things, dive bomb mirror and glass, they are hardy little buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

One of my cats has the habit of running full speed into a paper bag and sliding it as fast as he can along the floor. Since he can't see where he is going he usually ends up getting himself a whack in the head, he had a nose bleed from it once. He's usually wobbly for 10 minutes and then is back to his normal self, waiting for his next opportunity to try kill himself :rolleyes: The seizure you described would set off alarm bells for me though. Check on the kitty when you get home, if he's still acting odd ring your vets, they'll have a number to contact them on out of hours, they won't charge for a phone call :) So just ring them and explain what happened and how the kitten was acting and they'll be able to advise you on whether to bring him in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That is seriously one of the cutest kittens I have ever seen! He has the most adorable little face. Saying a prayer he’ll be ok OP, I’m sure he will be, but I think you’re right to bring him to the vet. Even just for your own piece of mind.

Keep us updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I imagine you'll go home and the kitten will be fine. Don't blame yourself, cats play fight, chase things, dive bomb mirror and glass, they are hardy little buggers.
    +1 Kittens are always running head first into things and chances are he'll be fine. But, if he's still lethargic when you get home id bring him to the vet though. The fact he was struggling seizure like for minutes rather than seconds would have me concerned. Its probably concussion but if theres any eye rolling or hopping and hes still out of sorts hours later id be safe rather than sorry if it was me and im not one for running to the vet with every little thing.

Thanks all for your concern and advice. :) I came home to find him wandering around the kitchen as he normally would. I put down a plate of chicken for the bigger cat and the little guy just skulked into the corner. I lifted him out and put him in front of the plate and he munched away. When I sat down he jumped up onto my lap and just lay there purring. He's focusing ok and jumping up and down off the couch, so he seems ok. I'll keep an eye on him for the evening now anyway. Herself is gone off to work and I'm here with a sick 17 month old so I can't do a whole lot about it anyway. If he's any worse or not back 100% tomorrow, I'll finish work early and get him looked at!

Thanks again.

@ncmc - yeah he's cute as a button alright. He's a bit of a nutjob though! LOL

Just one more thing you could check to be absolutely certain, get a torch and shine it in his eyes one at a time to see if his pupils dilate and contract. Make sure they are both moving to the same distance as each other, if they aren't call the vet right away, if they are, happy days :)

Just one more thing you could check to be absolutely certain, get a torch and shine it in his eyes one at a time to see if his pupils dilate and contract. Make sure they are both moving to the same distance as each other, if they aren't call the vet right away, if they are, happy days :)

Ah, good stuff. I'll do that.

EDIT: Just did that now. His pupils got smaller with the light and bigger when I took it away. He's quieter than normal but he seems fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Hope he'll be fine, and the baby too.

Ah, good stuff. I'll do that.

EDIT: Just did that now. His pupils got smaller with the light and bigger when I took it away. He's quieter than normal but he seems fine.

Perfect response, he should be fine but if you are in any doubt a phone call to your vet should put your mind at ease.

Well I'm happy to report that Simo is back to his mischievous self!! He was stealthily going around the living room this morning hunting and attacking everything that was a danger to him....the couch, the TV remote, the baby's toys, my foot!! :D

Thanks again everyone. :)

Oh - and the baby (Alice Rose) is making a full recovery too, thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

That's great news. He probably had a headache.

Advertisement