Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To stay with higher level English or not

• 02-08-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm going into 6th year next year and I need to decide whether if I'm going to drop back to ordinary level or stay in higher level English. I really hate the subject, I don't like languages, I find it quite hard, and I have no interest in it.i don't need English or Irish for points, I have 6 other subjects,and lcvp as a backup.my potential courses are all engineering,maths or physics based. Is there any reasons I should stay with honours English or should I drop back? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

This is a tough decision.If you're ok at English you could just stay as a D1 in higher is the same points as an A2 in ordinary.But if you're really as bad as you think and are sure you don't need it then maybe you should drop bevause at least then you can devote more time to your other subjects.

I'd say before you make any decision you should wait to speak with your teachers because hopefully they'll know what standard you are and will give you their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BTDOD95

Is there a huge difference in workload because thats how I was looking at it, being able to devote more time to my points subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

BTDOD95 wrote: »
    Is there a huge difference in workload because thats how I was looking at it, being able to devote more time to my points subjects?

theres a huge difference in particular all the poetry is printed on the page for you in comparison to higher where you have to learn 5 poets with 5 poems from each.

the single text questions are broken down rather than writing a big long essay at higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

BTDOD95 wrote: »

To be honest I'm not sure about the difference in workload.I did higher level but I'd imagine that as with any subject there must be a big difference between the two levels. I dropped to ordinary level Irish and I did regret it at times because I actually really like the language, but since doing the leaving cert I've realised that if I hadn't dropped to ordinary Irish I would have definitely gotten lower grades in my other subjects. Dropping meant I (hopefully) will get high grades in all my higher level subjects as I could devote a lot more time to studying these subjects.
    Ultimately, the decision is up to you but Good Luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DavidDaly

I though the same and hated English and only got a D (I would have guessed barely) in the junior Cert higher level but you can improve easily I think by simply reading a lot and paying attention sounds simple but often the solution is. I think you should read more and you sort of understand the subject more and find it easier. That's how I got better anyway and started getting A's and B's

• Advertisement
Advertisement