Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage Problem

Options
  • 02-08-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hello All

I am moving into a new house. It is 7 years old. It has a one acre garden. The lawn is very wet. Behind the garden is a field that slopes down towards our garden.

Any ideas on how I go about draining the lawn. I am a complete novice.

I was thinking of digging a 3 foot trench along the boundary where the field meets my lawn and filling it with gravel?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you have to divert the runoff from the field. a one foot wide open drain about a foot deep is easy to clean out and probably the best you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fearsneachta in Poland

Thanks for that. Sounds very easy, maybe too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Open drains all over the place here and its amazing when a few leaves block the drain it backs up and raises the ground water level all the way back up the system. You need to maintain the open drain at least twice a year esp after leaf fall and clear it out, mid summer too. As long as the water has somewhere lower to go to then there it goes. Give this a go and give it a bit of time to see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fearsneachta in Poland

Oldtree wrote: »
    Open drains all over the place here and its amazing when a few leaves block the drain it backs up and raises the ground water level all the way back up the system. You need to maintain the open drain at least twice a year esp after leaf fall and clear it out, mid summer too. As long as the water has somewhere lower to go to then there it goes. Give this a go and give it a bit of time to see if it works.

Thanks for this. Where should you direct the water to finish up? Would a soak pit work on al alrge lawn with a big sloping field behind?

Advertisement