Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 16.8m deficit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Proxy wrote: »
    Flashy graphics, ancient familiar show presenters, z-list celebrity fees for pointless US-styled talk shows, buying up popular TV series to stick them on at 2am so TV3/TG4 can't get at them, repeats of shows over the last 50 years because everybody wants to see that...

So that is a policy! I thought it was just something I'd noticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Colmustard wrote: »
    Its an expensive year for them they had to cover the European and the Olympics. But still no excuse, its problem is it is with-in the public sector so it carries all those inefficiencies, it could downsize and get rid of some of its services, like the Iplayer perhaps 1 of its tele and radio stations and cut top salaries.

An expensive year? What the hell does that mean?

The last time I checked Ireland received all the British channels - several of which have extensive coverage of the Olympic games and the Euro's (with more professionalism I might add) - you could be forgiven for assuming that this would probably be news to the RTE people but for the fact that a lot of the criminals get a payday to show up and present, broadcast etc etc also...but sure who the hell cares about budgets..the plebs are sending us in their tax money, we'll just piss it all away while getting our cronies rich and lining our own pockets in the process. Why does RTE have to pay for this? Why not give the extra couple of quid back to the people, god knows they could use it.

The TV license is a scam - if you do not want to watch RTE nor wish/have a desire to prop up this criminal racket or Kenny's second Ferrari, you get send to prison! LMFAO...could anything be more ridiculous and yet it's no more ridiculous than this country we're living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Isn't Finucane on something like 600 grand a year for 4 hours work a week? She regularly takes holidays too if that wasn't enough to rub it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's because Decco in Fair City is computer-generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

token101 wrote: »
    That would be a horrible idea. Look at the state of TV3, it's a joke of a channel. RTE should be looking to be the opposite, cut presenters pay across the board. Where is Pat Kenny/ Marion Finucane going to go? No one else will pay those ridiculous salaries.

I actually agree with this, now don't get me wrong I don't dislike TV3 but they are a commercial station, which means that the will be and should audience driven. I'm fine with that.

But we also need a station that, is owned by the people and discusses issues for Irish people, through non fiction and fictional, programming. Obviously RTE are mismanaged, but there is certain things that RTE do very well, eg sports on a national level, current affairs, documentaries they also did quite a few well thoughtout dramas in their time (recently and in the past). They need to restructure what they are doing, some of us may not like the likes of the Late, Late Show, or Nationwide, but they are important programs to quite a large audience.

RTE mission statement is to be the national station for the people of Ireland and that includes having to program for diversity within our community. It's not geared up to make a profit nor should it be. It is and has always being a National Community Station, and I believe it should remain so, but definitely lose the presenters on €700K, the either except a pay cut, or get poached by the UK, or TV 3, stations that can afford it. We have a lot of talent in this country, and RTE needs to be restructured but have the same mission statement, to ensure that this talent is getting out their as a voice for their communities and for the people in Ireland.

Sorry for this being so long :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

To buy in episodes of Top Gear from 2006.
    Oh and the new Angelus bell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Just a couple of years back I went in to RTE Radio for an interview: a ten-minute chat about an article I'd written that the presenter found interesting. I was happy to do it, as it's great publicity and was a good experience.*

Later that day, apropos of nothing, I get a call from RTE asking for my bank details so they could send on a fee that I hadn't asked for or been offered. Not much - €80 - but that's €80 more than I've gotten from any other radio appearances in the private sector.

Was nice at the time, but I felt it said something about the mentality there, and in the semi-state sector as a whole. They get a big splodge of cash every year, guaranteed, and little or no accountability as to how it's spent. So they find new ways of spending money, which includes doling it out to young journalists who'd be trekking up to Montrose for free.

Semi state companies continually run up these deficits because management know, fundamentally, that the Government is going to pick up the tab. The semi-state model blends the worst traits of both the public and private sector.

* The presenter - who's regularly slagged off here - was really nice and professional. His show isn't my cup of tea, but it's a well-run operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Theres been a 12.4m drop in Licence Revenue this year, to me that points where the real problem is.

I guess not paying your tv licence is a "socially acceptable" form of tax dodging?

geeky wrote: »
    Just a couple of years back I went in to RTE Radio for an interview: a ten-minute chat about an article I'd written that the presenter found interesting. I was happy to do it, as it's great publicity and was a good experience.*

Later that day, apropos of nothing, I get a call from RTE asking for my bank details so they could send on a fee that I hadn't asked for or been offered. Not much - €80 - but that's €80 more than I've gotten from any other radio appearances in the private sector.

Was nice at the time, but I felt it said something about the mentality there, and in the semi-state sector as a whole. They get a big splodge of cash every year, guaranteed, and little or no accountability as to how it's spent. So they find new ways of spending money, which includes doling it out to young journalists who'd be trekking up to Montrose for free.

Semi state companies continually run up these deficits because management know, fundamentally, that the Government is going to pick up the tab. The semi-state model blends the worst traits of both the public and private sector.

* The presenter - who's regularly slagged off here - was really nice and professional. His show isn't my cup of tea, but it's a well-run operation.

It also to do with copyright law, the quickest thing I can do to turn anyone off in RTE to show something, is to "Say Sure it grand, I enjoyed it and payment is not necessary"

It causes a whole world of complications for a production, they need to appear to be fair and above board (don't get me wrong I prity sure Neoptism goes on their, I believe it happens very much so) but I still think RTE has an extremely important place here in our society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anyone wrote: »
    Theres been a 12.4m drop in Licence Revenue this year, to me that points where the real problem is.

I guess not paying your tv licence is a "socially acceptable" form of tax dodging?

Can I ask you if you think somebody who does not have a TV should pay it too? No?

Then what about in a few years when it becomes a "entertainment license" and anybody with a mobile phone or PC has to pay for RTE just because they own a device capable of recieving it in some format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pantsface wrote: »
    don't like soaps either

You're not left with much else to watch on tv3 so,unless rubbish reality tv is your thing.(or maybe Irish Psychics Live:pac: )

I despise the way RTE buy up US shows then show them in the middle of the night.We get a diet of rubbish at primetime yet quality shows are shown at 2am.Thank God for the internet & satellite tv.

Don't get me started on Gaybo,for a man who supposedly retired,he's forever on our screens.

RTE do current affairs pretty well but do we need it every second night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Kirby wrote: »
    Can I ask you if you think somebody who does not have a TV should pay it too? No?

Then what about in a few years when it becomes a "entertainment license" and anybody with a mobile phone or PC has to pay for RTE just because they own a device capable of recieving it in some format.

Whats that got to do with it, or are you trying to say 8,000 people threw out their TV?

Whats that got to do with it, or are you trying to say 8,000 people threw out their TV?

I'm saying the reason it seems socially acceptable is refusing to pay an entertainment licence or similar "taxes" like the household charge is really not tax dodging.

Yep you should actually pay, cause regardless of what you might actually think you are part of this country, and therefore need to pay taxes, you pay how much a year on TV taxes? €100? that is 2 eoros a week to basically a National Community Station, which gives you right now to 5 TV Stations based on national communities, eg basically you or me, I'm not sure how many radio station, but at least 5, I lost count on the digital stations, So the communities should basically, either be profit making, or as long as you don't have an interest in them, let them not have a voice, and I'm not talking about minority communities either, but mayor ones.

So lets cut off Irish speaking channels, Sure I don't speak it, but seemily 25% of my community nationally do, lets cut nationwide but at least 25% of my community likes that program and looks forward to it, (those figures could be proven wrong, and I actually believe they are higher), Lets cut all Irish programming, because you don't watch it, and you feel €2 a week is too much for you to allow someone else have a say.

I really like your style, and if we ever meet up mines a coffee, basic one, and it would cost you €2.50, you loose :D

You didn't ask you implied

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Boombastic wrote: »
    Revenue from the TV licence also declined, falling to €183.6 million for the year.
    Does that mean they managed to spend €200 million in a year?

Phew, at least they are good at something.

Can I ask you if you think somebody who does not have a TV should pay it too? .
    BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Yep you should actually pay, cause regardless of what you might actually think you are part of this country

So people without a tv should pay for the tv license.......okay.

So why not just drop the pretense of naming taxes at all? Just combine everything into an "part of the country" tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If someone gave me an offer of blocking RTE and I wouldn't have to pay a TV license I would gladly take it. RTE 2 is the only one that has something that interests me now and again but it is easily available elsewhere

So people without a tv should pay for the tv license.......okay.

So why not just drop the pretense of naming taxes at all? Just combine everything into an "part of the country" tax.

No if you can receive television or radio signals, you should pay, that means your computer/laptop, which can watch RtE on demand, TV 3 and E3 as well as channel 4, as well as the radio stations, so yes you should be charged €2.00 a week for the right to view them, and to give out about your €2.00 you had no choice in spending. Why because RTE is based apon a National Community Station, the same as the BBC is, unfornately we have only 4 million in our diverse community. The BBC has about at least 40 million, in their diverse community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

?
    50,000 people emigrated in 2011.

• Advertisement

No if you can receive television or radio signals, you should pay, that means your computer/laptop, which can watch RtE on demand, TV 3 and E3 as well as channel 4, as well as the radio stations, so yes you should be charged €2.00 a week for the right to view them, and to give out about your €2.00 you had no choice in spending. Why because RTE is based apon a National Community Station, the same as the BBC is, unfornately we have only 4 million in our diverse community. The BBC has about at least 40 million, in their diverse community.

You keep spouting on about that "2 euro a week" as if it has any bearing on the discussion at all.

Answer me this. How much a week does it take for it to become wrong? A tenner? Fifty? A thousand?

The apathetic attitude in Ireland of "Ah sure, it's only a few quid" is exactly the problem. The same people who paid the household charge because it was only a 100 quid are the same people who will be enraged when it suddenly costs them 1,000 quid. Then it shows them for exactly what they are. The morals or justness of something aren't as important as the amount they have to pay.

The attempt to abolish the tv license and replace it with an entertainment or broadcasting license is transparent in the extreme.

Like I said previously, certain parts of RTE in it's current incarnation are important. The news, primetime, sport,etc. Those are of national importance but the majority of the rubbish that RTE spends countless millions on are not. If it continues to operate at a loss, it should be cut. The taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for crap like "Dermot's secret garden."

You keep spouting on about that "2 euro a week" as if it has any bearing on the discussion at all.

Answer me this. How much a week does it take for it to become wrong? A tenner? Fifty? A thousand?

The apathetic attitude in Ireland of "Ah sure, it's only a few quid" is exactly the problem. The same people who paid the household charge because it was only a 100 quid are the same people who will be enraged when it suddenly costs them 1,000 quid. Then it shows them for exactly what they are. The morals or justness of something aren't as important as the amount they have to pay.

The attempt to abolish the tv license and replace it with an entertainment or broadcasting license is transparent in the extreme.

Like I said previously, certain parts of RTE in it's current incarnation are important. The news, primetime, sport,etc. Those are of national importance but the majority of the rubbish that RTE spends countless millions on are not. If it continues to operate at a loss, it should be cut. The taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for crap like "Dermot's secret garden."

How much does it cost you to, have a National Community Station, €2.00 a week, hence why I go on about it, now if you want to talk about taxes, lets sort out the law here, people are asked to pay a €100, tax on owning their own house.

But I haven't seen a main reason to not to pay, unless it changes

A) assume that would go up

B) that a persons wealth, would be reflected within that Tax

So yes I consider, the TV licence a proper tax, cause it dose do something for us, as I stated before, an example "Why do you hate "Dermots Secret Garden""

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

RTE's biggest mistake was ignoring my email suggesting they make an Irish version of this show to be broadcast every weeknight from 12 to 4 am.

Morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

kincsem wrote: »
    Does that mean they managed to spend €200 million in a year?

Phew, at least they are good at something.
    Don't forget about the revenue from advertisements on top of that, they're experts in their field at spending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

wyndham wrote: »
    ?
    50,000 people emigrated in 2011.

yes and how many immigrated here?

Overall in 2011, approximately 164,000 new applications (i.e. visa, residence, protection and citizenship) were received by Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS)

notnumber wrote: »

Overall in 2011, approximately 164,000 new applications (i.e. visa, residence, protection and citizenship) were received by Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS)

Are you claiming there was net immigration in 2011 in Ireland?

The TV licence is €160 per year.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    RTE's biggest mistake was ignoring my email suggesting they make an Irish version of this show to be broadcast every weeknight from 12 to 4 am.

Morons.

There you go, that sort of proves my point. And so you know what my motivation behide it is, this and this

http://vimeo.com/42755439

Pride 2010 part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2lDpkPV9o

Pride 2010 part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPJURWv1BM

Also a music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ojKvjhQJ8

Please enjoy them, now I don't think I'm clever, but if you take away RTE, you are taking away me as an uneducated film maker, their is more out their better than me, and this is what we should be proud of, and RTE should be allowed broadcast it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

And instead of reform in RTE which is badly needed, the tv license will be replaced with a universal broadcasting charge with the arguement that because you may have a phone or laptop you may have the internet on it in which you may be able to access RTE. Such a rubbish proposal.

RTE is a blackhole that needs to be reformed or scrapped and got rid off but FG will force householders to shovel money into this pit of an organisation.

Are you claiming there was net immigration in 2011 in Ireland?

not claming anything..copied that from here..if emigration was 50k as stated above and immigration was 160k:confused:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Immigration%20in%20Ireland%202011%20%E2%80%93%20a%20year-end%20snapshot%20%E2%80%93%20major%20changes%20and%20more%20to%20follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pantsface wrote: »
    thats a fcuking disgrace.

For doing an 11-1 slot 5 days a week? :confused:

The person who does the contracts need to be punched in the side of the head.

The TV licence is €160 per year.

There you go I'm wrong €2.60 a week then, wash my mouth out, my point still stands

How much does it cost RTE to collect the license money..inspectors etc.
    As mentioned before they should get the cash from general taxation.
    I do like fair city being watching it for years ..Iwould not begrudge the actors on this or some other shows e.g batchelors walk a few quid
    Other crap like paying salaries to kenny and the like needs to stopped asap.

There you go I'm wrong €2.60 a week then, wash my mouth out, my point still stands

Your point that it's okay to rob somebody if you are robbing a low amount is about as ridiculous as it gets.

Your point that it's okay to rob somebody if you are robbing a low amount is about as ridiculous as it gets.

Who said I was robbing anyone, take a look at the thread, and see how people want to be included in their own diversity, this is what RTE should be as a station, diverse in being their, for the Irish people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    For doing an 11-1 slot 5 days a week? :confused:

Ok I'm not saying the lad is not overpaid but people seem to think that radio and tv presenters only work for the time they're on air. If he does 11-1 he probably works 9-5 or 9-4 those days.

Still way too much money. But it irritates me when people think that they just wander in 5 minutes before and as soon as the show is over they're off down the pub.

Who said I was robbing anyone, take a look at the thread, and see how people want to be included in their own diversity, this is what RTE should be as a station, diverse in being their, for the Irish people :D

Jaysus you are some waffler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

They could stop following innocent priests around (africa) and slandering them then they would save a few quid on compensation and barristers! Slimetime and its crew should be first out the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

notnumber wrote: »

Possibly they all live in the one house, therefore only 1 tv licence:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The TV licence will be stuck onto the household charge in a year or 2. That'll be a big boost for RTE. Another reason they go easy on whatever political party is in power, they don't want them to cut the licence fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Just how many of the RTE staff are on a jolly at the moment at the Olympics? I counted on 6 one during the week, that there were at least 6 of them presenting. Not to mention what radio staff are over there.

I reckon as well that they are more than likely staying in some plush hotel. So roll on this years results and they will moan about the cost of their Olympic coverage.

I wonder is it time, now that soon every one will have some sort of a digital receiver, that presenters are payed according to their audience numbers?

Jaysus you are some waffler.

I'm Also a very good Storyteller, eg look at my links, and I pass by RTE all the time, while I trying to get my Mom well (81), as she needs to believe, cause she has server dementia and cancer.

I'm glad it is there, cause it is the only thing she knows, that she can complain about, and believe me you take away that, you are taking away her everything (she has left inside) So yeah I want her community that she fought for and grew up in to pay €2.70 a week, so that she can feel part of it, and something similar in her now short life left. Shoot me if I'm wrong in thinking that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Robbing The Exchequer. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

token101 wrote: »
    That would be a horrible idea. Look at the state of TV3, it's a joke of a channel. RTE should be looking to be the opposite, cut presenters pay across the board. Where is Pat Kenny/ Marion Finucane going to go? No one else will pay those ridiculous salaries.

Tv3 is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Pat Kenny is on around 700k a year (down from 900k). Where on earth would he even get 1/3rd of that at a different station? Who the hell negotiates these contracts?

Do you want to tell him?

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »

Yep I would have no problem in telling him, that he is overpaid by a state run body, €700K ???? I would tell him that I am cutting his wages to €100K like it or lump it, RTE had a deficit, of small change 16.8 Million, very much turned a figure I would expect for a television station, with 5 national station, and at least 5 radio stations, if they restructured and started commission, Irish interest Programs, as their mission Statement imply s, I would be happy with that.

Really not happy with the likes of Pat Kenney earning €700K p.a. or anyone else on similar wages, sure cutting their wages will actually solve their deficit. And oddly enough as A National Community Station, they need to do as I suggested (or other measures), to just break even, after all its a non profit identity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The problem with RTE salaries is that they are not being paid the market rate, Being realistic, pat kenny has only two options, UK or tv3 or on radio uk and todayfm, personally i dont think he would cut it in the uk and tv3 has few programmes that would suit.

TV3 and 2dayfm couldnt afford to pay half of what hes on so whay pay him so much?

The big players need to be paid just enough to keep them, their options are limited and there is plenty of talent willing and able to take thir place.

Having kenny , finuchane and others on the crazy money they are on is terrible management. You cant blame the presenters for pushing for big money , its the management for giving it to them.

The main problem is Management dont care how much money they spend, it clearly makes no difference to their pay packet.

The managers cant seem to do their job, yet no one ever seems to get the sack, no one is held accountable or responible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Barack Obama earns $400,000/ €322,000 per year as US President. I bet he's looking at Marian Finucane's €500k a year and wonders where he went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

step one:cancel craig doyle live

Barack Obama earns $400,000/ €322,000 per year as US President. I bet he's looking at Marian Finucane's €500k a year and wonders where he went wrong.

She's not wrong, as was posted in others post, the whole thing about RTE needs to be regigged, either take pay cut, or find a place on TV3, or BBC, Sorry their is no reason in the world that they shouldn't get €100K a year,(€700K is just mad money) they need to deal with that as a fact

• Advertisement
Advertisement