Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Spain/Biarrritz

Options
  • 02-08-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Howdee all,

any of ye wandered down the San Sebastian/Biarritz direction? Would appreciate tips on accomodation and things to do if the surf is flat.
    Heading in September so fingers crossed will get a day or two of waves.
    No doubt it'll be pumping here once I leave...!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was in Biarritz a couple of years ago. Like anywhere bring your snorkel, mask and fins for the flat days, but you should be ok in September for surf. Are you bringing your own boards? I will pm you some tips if you are. (I didn't bring boards, I hired a foamy, grand for my level of surfing!) Some great restaurants in Biarritz, if your on a budget there's a street of pizza places and all you can eat paella places, good for loading up on carbs after all day surfing sessions, and it's good food, lots of squid, chicken and mussels. It's a small town, you will orient yourself pretty quickly and find all you can in a few hours. Accommodation prices in Biarritz is pretty averagely priced... if your lucky you will get a local hiring out a small studio €300 - €350 for a week.

Edit.. you won't need a winter suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Lots of stuff to see on flat days.

Try catch a game of Jal Alia or go wine tasting.

St Jean de Luz is a gorgeous town to wander around, has a good wave as well on big swells.

Accommodation wise there are plenty of campsites where you can rent small mobile homes/plastic chalet things which are perfect.

You're going to have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Sound lads, great info.

(Not bringing the boards.
    Don't trust ryanair with boards.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You should be fine if the board & bag are well padded but there are plenty of places that hire out good boards over there so you'd be stuck for choice, cheaper to hire to

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I was in San Sebastian in June and it was excellent, Surfed in shorts & rashvest and just got a loaner which was nicer than my own board. Lovely waves and even though the water was busy it was very friendly in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gralus

I was in San Sebastian last September - great place to eat, drink and surf. Heading again this September to Biarritz and San Seb again - Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Been to both Biarritz and San Sebastian on holidays. If you like nightlife, SS is by far the better option. When we were there in 2008 Biarritz had the grand total of one club which was both crap and extremely expensive (though there's usually some fun to be found on the beach if you wander down with a few beers).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Hey Noserider how was the trip? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Great trip lads, well worth it.
    Surfed Grand Plage in Biarritz, lovely mellow waves, 3-4ft each day. More of a longboard wave but perfect for us. Biarrittz is beautifull, just walking around is a buzz in itself. Didn't part-take in anything major on the night-life scene. Waited for San Sebastian for that!!
    It is party central there, we arrived on the Monday nite and the place was hopping. Great feel to this place,especially the old historic part. There is loads to see and do, all centred around the port/harbour. The surf was pumping too. Zurriola was 4ft mellow one day and 6-8ft the next. The standard of surfing is high over there but there is plenty of room to take all standards. Never really surfed waves so close tothe beach though. There is feck all of a paddle out compared to some of the beach breaks here. When tide is higher you are almost surfing the shore break. Great fun!!
    All in all great trip. Would bring my boards next time.
    Didn't bring a board but plenty of rentals available. but v expensive for food especially.Have a bit of French is well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nickbok

Hey ya,

Anyone have any recommendations for accommodation close to surf. Thinking bout flying in to bordeaux. Something family orientated too so no surf camps or hostels. Any help appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Launcher

I stayed at this campsite in Hourtin just north of Lacanau, very family orientated and the beach is about a 5/10 minute walk away. Great spot!

http://www.camping-cote-dargent.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

i went last august september just as the summer season was finished, great weather and great waves. I stayed in http://www.surfhostelbiarritz.com/ for 30 quid a night, that includes a decent board, bike and breakfast. Only option IMO

Launcher wrote: »
    I stayed at this campsite in Hourtin just north of Lacanau, very family orientated and the beach is about a 5/10 minute walk away. Great spot!

http://www.camping-cote-dargent.co.uk/

Wow! Thanks very much Launcher! This place looks epic!!! Hope to be staying here sometime in June :)

Looks the bees knees for everyone.

Can ya rent a board near here too? Don't think i'd fancy Ryanair with it!

Nice lookin hostel too. Great deal price for everything, Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Launcher

I had my own board with me and can't remember if board rental is available in Hourtin but if not it is definitely available in Lacanau which is approx 20 mins drive south.

The campsite is slightly more expensive then other campsites in the Gironde but its worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi guys unt gals.

I'm heading to Biarritz the end of May for a few days. Anyone stayed somewhere cheap? I'm not going to be camping, and would like to stay out of a hostel dorm room if possible, but imagine anything else could be pricey?
    A basic hotel or summit would do. 3 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Hi

Some great advice here

I'm looking for a place to stay in San Sebastian, flying into Biarritz but thinking San Sebastian might be nicer to see.

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay, not looking for anything too expensive or flash. The idea of that Biarritz surf hostel sounds great, is there a similar option in San Sebastian.

I want to see a bit of the culture and obviously get some board short surfs in lol

Any help is appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

nickbok wrote: »
    Hey ya,

Anyone have any recommendations for accommodation close to surf. Thinking bout flying in to bordeaux. Something family orientated too so no surf camps or hostels. Any help appreciated :)

Any luck in the end?
    Really cheap flights from cork to bordeaux mid june. Thinking about just packing a tent and sleeping bag and busing it down the south of france, surfing and camping for 10 days...

Any1 any advice? I would be just about intermediate in terms of surfing ability and would like to heqd out with a surf school most days if possible...

Advertisement