Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for video editing with Ubuntu

Options
  • 02-08-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello,

7 months ago Iwas in the way to build a new PC. Unfortunately I had to stop because I moved.
    Now I will build it within few weeks.
    So, my needs:

1. What is your budget? €500 - €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video transfer from S-VHS, editing, authoring, watching HD video + day-to-day

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I use Ubuntu

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have 1 hard drive 2TB and more small + monitors + keyboard, mouse
    I have a DAZZLE DVC100 USB2.0 video capture.

I bought a new video card

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I have 1 x wide 22" and 2 x 4/3 19"

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 and 1280x1024 no upgrade planed.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no need for Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers but I want a SSD HD.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Within 3 weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Galway area

As I don't need high-end CPU but the best Performance/Price and according to this link I'll go for AMD.
    I just ordered the graphic card ZOTAC GeForce GT 520 ZONE Edition with 2 DVI-I connectors.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8120 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€148.92
    ASRock 970 Extreme4, AM3+, ATX|€87.14
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€45.27
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€102.51
    NZXT Tempest 410 Midi-Tower - black, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€50.72
    be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER BQT E9-450W 80+Gold|€68.74
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€556.18
    Are the different components compatible?
    What do you think about this config?

Please let me know you thought.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Wow those FX CPUs have come down by quite a bit! I normally just ignore them as the Intel ones have been so powerful. I must double check them again against current offerings by Intel at that price. As you said though, you probably don't need a very powerful CPU, depending on how much video editing you're doing - a fast CPU would make life easier when converting between different formats.
    Also, I wouldn't put too much faith in charts that rely on synthetic benchmarks.

The superflower gold is a bit cheaper:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/400+-+500+Watts/41092/Super-Flower+SF450P14XE+Golden+Green+Pro+80plus+gold.article
    However, you'd want to have it on most of the day for the gold to be worthwhile. The bronze is €20 cheaper.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/400+-+500+Watts/30074/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+450W.article

Do you need a DVD drive?
    Also, I assume that you've tested that the card works fine with 64-bit versions of Ubuntu?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Out of interest, what is the Linux editing scene like? Are there suites available to the level of PPro or FCP?

Yeah, with nVidia and Linux not always getting along I'd have gone for ATI(You're probably fine though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

lol given Linus's F-bomb I think that's an understatement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

Thanks Monotype for your help.
    In the super-flower web site, I can't get the cables' lengths config but would guess it's ok. Characteristics are the same, I go for it.

The cpu/mobo should work under Linux according to OpenBenchmarking.org.
    See this link and for a comparison Intel/AMD this link.

@ ED E
    I'll install Ubuntu studio and add Kdenlive for editing and/or mencoder (command line) for capture from S-VHS tapes. I have to do more tests.
    See this link for FREE editing app under Ubuntu.

I have another questions:
    Do you think the cooler with 140 mm fan will fit inside the case? I think at the memories and the side panel.

Regarding the cooling in the case (2 x 120mm include), what is the better cooling set-up? Do I need to buy more fan(s)?
    I'd prefer to set the power supply as outtake to avoid dust inside.
    2 x 120 mm at the front, intake.
    140 mm fan at the bottom of the cpu cooler with a kind of chimney from the top of the cooler to the top side of the case.
    No fan at the back.
    I think the sum of the intake should be equal or a little bit bigger than the sum of the outtake.
    What do you think? What is your config?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

nVidia produces it's own Linux drivers for it's GPU's, the drivers are pretty good and kept up-to-date. Where as AMD's proprietary drivers are poor, hence nVidia is generally the recommend solution when using Linux.

Where we see the problems between nVidia and Linux is supporting Open Source drivers. nVidia basically ignore any attempt to make open source drivers for their cards and don't help out the developers at all so the any open drivers for Linux are usually not great and don't have support for all the latest features since the devs are working in the dark. AMD on the other hand do try to help the open source driver devs for their cards. Hence the hatred for nVidia from Linux, even though nVidia does actually do a good job of supporting Linux with it's GPUs :)

This is basically a summary of: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9553/how-do-i-choose-a-graphics-card-for-linux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Two fans is enough. It's usually suggested to have out-take as slightly greater than intake so that hot air is removed completely. Most cases have quite a few holes in them so there's not really any difference in air pressure for this to be of full value. One in, one out and PSU out should do it. Not sure how the fans on the Superflower PSUs are oriented, maybe you can get someone else to help you out here.

Advertisement