Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The striker situation!

• 02-08-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Thought id start a thread before the season kicks off about who exactly people think are the essential forwards for the start of the season.

Im going with Torres, Pog and Aguero with a view to getting Cisse in for Torres after the double gameweek or possibly after gameweek 2 against Newcastle if he produces the goods!

Anyway Ive noticed that most people are keeping money in the bank to bring Rooney in straight away, does everybody reckon he's going to do that well from the begining when theres surely cheaper options who will score goals and allow for the extra cash to strengthen other areas.

Rooney IMO looked tired at the end of last season and wasnt great(albeit probably not fully fit) in the euros, so just thinking there might be better, cheaper options but i dont want to be left with egg on my face if the majority are thinking Rooney is a must!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Torres,Auguero and Graham are my chosen trio..........all likely to stay if as expected Torres gets a goal rush this season.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Id happily keep Torres if hes going to find his form and start banging them in again! Its a shame whats happend to him over the last few seasons! And thats coming from a liverpool fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spokes

Jelavic had a good end of season and will have bedded in well now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It could easily come back to bite me in the ass but I've absolutely no faith in Rooney. Aguero is the striker I'm expecting to deliver this season. Torres will also start in my team but I'm keeping an eye on Jelavic and Cisse.

Undecided on my third striker yet. Think I read Reading didn't score too many last season so the Pog mighn't be the bargain everyone thinks he is. Have to look into it though.

Lemlin wrote: »
    It could easily come back to bite me in the ass but I've absolutely no faith in Rooney. Aguero is the striker I'm expecting to deliver this season. Torres will also start in my team but I'm keeping an eye on Jelavic and Cisse.

Undecided on my third striker yet. Think I read Reading didn't score too many last season so the Pog mighn't be the bargain everyone thinks he is. Have to look into it though.

Yeah I had both Jelavic and Cisse at the end of last season, Everton usually start off slow enough though so wasn't thinking of getting him in any time soon but will definitely keep an eye on him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My 3 are the same as the OP's. Unless torres scores in the first gameweek, im getting rooney instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I keep changing mine but it's between these two options:

Torres, Bent, Tevez
    or
    Torres, Aguero, Graham

Both options have 2.0m in the bank to get Rooney for GW2/3 (depending on price rises/falls.

Ideal scenario would be for Rooney to drop in price if he doesn't score in the opening GW.

Think what you want about Torres but he's the main striker for one of the best team in the league. The top three strikers to have this year will be Aguero, Rooney and Torres.

RVP (remember him?) is still in my thoughts. If he stays and is scoring well, I'll consider him around GW6/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

anyone going for podolski? with rvp expected to move on he could get a few goals assists? not a bad price either.

I keep changing mine but it's between these two options:

Torres, Bent, Tevez
    or
    Torres, Aguero, Graham

Both options have 2.0m in the bank to get Rooney for GW2/3 (depending on price rises/falls.

Ideal scenario would be for Rooney to drop in price if he doesn't score in the opening GW.

Think what you want about Torres but he's the main striker for one of the best team in the league. The top three strikers to have this year will be Aguero, Rooney and Torres.

RVP (remember him?) is still in my thoughts. If he stays and is scoring well, I'll consider him around GW6/7.

This is exactly the thing i was talking about, nearly everybody is keeping the extra 2mil in the bank to bring Rooney in but i honestly dont see the point, surely theres cheaper options? Is everybody really banking on Rooney going on a goal rush?? Im not convinced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

This is bothering me too i've been wondering if its worth the extra €1m spend to go

Aguero/Cisse/Jelly

v

Aguero/Rooney/Pog

or maybe downgrade aguero to Tevez in 1) above and still have a stronger midfield.

Of course there is the option in 2) of Torres instead of rooney and then a super midfield.

So many combinations - so much fun/head wreck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hogey007 wrote: »
    anyone going for podolski? with rvp expected to move on he could get a few goals assists? not a bad price either.

Wenger has said he wont be fit for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hogey007 wrote: »

Not sure on fitness,but will say he'll miss a game or 2 at start. Hard to tell also if RVP will still be there etc...so far too early to be making calls like that. Its 2 weeks away yet, so relax and look at it again in a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I personally don't think Podolski was a good buy. And by that I mean he won't do well this season. A few goals and assists is all he will get in my opinion and that's with RVP out of the team. There's no value in him if RVP stays I think.

My strikers are Aguero/Rooney/Pog. But like most I will probably remove Rooney for Torres with 2 in the bank for the first GW just to see how he does and replace him with Rooney afterwards if he doesn't provide. BUT If I had an extra .5 to spare I'd have Vaz Te in instead of Pog in a heartbeat. Vaz Te is the definition of goal-scoring consistency, I'm surprised very few have him at 5.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

FatRat wrote: »
    I personally don't think Podolski was a good buy. And by that I mean he won't do well this season. A few goals and assists is all he will get in my opinion and that's with RVP out of the team. There's no value in him if RVP stays I think.

My strikers are Aguero/Rooney/Pog. But like most I will probably remove Rooney for Torres with 2 in the bank for the first GW just to see how he does and replace him with Rooney afterwards if he doesn't provide. BUT If I had an extra .5 to spare I'd have Vaz Te in instead of Pog in a heartbeat. Vaz Te is the definition of goal-scoring consistency, I'm surprised very few have him at 5.5.

would you go with Vaz Te or graham if you had 6m for a 3rd striker? looking at grahams opening fixtures i think he will do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

didn't realise podolski wouldn't be fit for the start. ta, for the heads up.

FatRat wrote: »
    If I had an extra .5 to spare I'd have Vaz Te in instead of Pog in a heartbeat. Vaz Te is the definition of goal-scoring consistency, I'm surprised very few have him at 5.5.[/B]

Vaz Te is a good shout! 22 goals last season between Barnsley and West Ham, but do you reckon he will be able to reproduce the goods in the Premiership?? I will have him on my watchlist for a while and see how he goes before bringing him in! Could be a potential bandwagon player if he can keep that kind of form up but wouldn't risk it from the begining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

If I had 5.5 for a striker I'd go for Vaz Te. If I had 6 I'd go for Petric. Graham would be tempting but not as tempting Petric. My reason for it is that Petric has had a great pre-season and I don't trust Swansea's goal-scoring abilities. If you think back to last year Swansea had possibly the lowest amount of goals scored of any team. Sigurdsson helped their goal-scoring tremendously. I think Fulham are in good shape and will score plenty this season. They have a new young lad Kakaniklic who I think is a great prospect.

What do people think of Bent for this season?
    I have 8.5 for a striker, but don't know whether to splash out on Bent or go with Petric/Pog/Vaz Te/Graham and spend the savings somewhere else.

I think Villa will do well under Lambert and once Bent stays fit he will score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What do people think of Bent for this season?
    I have 8.5 for a striker, but don't know whether to splash out on Bent or go with Petric/Pog/Vaz Te/Graham and spend the savings somewhere else.

I think Villa will do well under Lambert and once Bent stays fit he will score goals.

On my agenda after the Chelsea DGW,he is a decnet price at 8.5

Not many people have Wellbeck in their temas either. He's set to have a good season imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Welbeck is competing with Hernandez, Kagawa, Young, Nani, and Valencia to play in the front 4 alongside, off, or wide of Rooney.

If he's playing, he's a great price. But that's a long-shot.

And while they're still probably just rumours, RVP and Lucas are still being reported as options for United. Fergie himself did say he wants one more, after all... so we'll just have to wait and see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement