Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More nationalistic under the influence?

• 02-08-2012 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Is it just me, or am I wrong in suggesting that nationalistic songs from the Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones etc. sound more appealing under the influence and sing-a-long-worthy than what one would nearly feel in a sober condition. Correct if I'm wrong but a lot of our national psyche and sense of pride seems to revolve around and consist of mindellsey chanting patriotic songs while under the influence of the old drink.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

You're correct. Its the same in every country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Bit the same with the Sash.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Nah, I'd often have Luke Kelly on in the car. And I drive sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hell yeah. After a few scoops "Long Kesh" sounds even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think the Wolfe Tones are crap troublemaking cowards every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

dttq wrote: »
    Is it just me, or am I wrong in suggesting that nationalistic songs from the Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones etc. sound more appealing under the influence and sing-a-long-worthy than what one would nearly feel in a sober condition.
    No, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Where To wrote: »
    I think the Wolfe Tones are crap troublemaking cowards every day of the week.

wha?? Care to explain yourself?

wha?? Care to explain yourself?
    Easy to sing about incidents happening in Derry when you are in Kerry isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...so nobody should ever hum the galway races unless they're there. Ok.

Rather fucks up "hotel california" and "American pie" too....

Nodin wrote: »
    ...so nobody should ever hum the galway races unless they're there. Ok.

Rather fucks up "hotel california" and "American pie" too....
    The Eagles or Don McLean weren't asked to play in Derry in 1969.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Under the influence?Try abroad...found myself whistling the tune to Raglan Road as I strolled around St. Malo in France and sneering at the shop fronts with the British flags which are in style over there at the moment...being away from the Irish makes you more Irish:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Under the influence?Try abroad...found myself whistling the tune to Raglan Road as I strolled around St. Malo in France and sneering at the shop fronts with the British flags which are in style over there at the moment...being away from the Irish makes you more Irish:) Oirish
    Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

The Dubliners stopped singing overly nationalistic songs early on in their career after the outbreak of the troubles in the north, afaik.

Also the Dubliners are musically far superior to the Wolf Tones.

The Wolf Tones seem to have their own following. I doubt if many followers of Irish trad (whether drunk or sober) listen to them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I subscribe to the Nationalist narrative drunk or sober. I'm not into 'rebel' music but think it's fairly harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

So what are you saying? They should have ditched the instruments and armed themselves? They're a band, give over.
    The Wolfe Tones are a bit of craic, that's all. And contrary to Mishhasta's sneering condescension they actually have some excellent songs.

Advertisement