Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRADE:Vectrex with screen issues & controller

Options
  • 02-08-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I have a Vectrex with some sort of screen issue (the image is skewed up in the right corner)

Now it may be fixable, but a cap kit wont do it (enternow gave this a go) - but on the plus side, if you do fix it, it doesn't need the caps replaced for a good 20-30 years.

The vector CRT itself fires up and works. From what I've read online, I think a chip has gone bad somewhere. Possibly able to replace..but if it's not, it'll be a good unit for replacements parts. I'm sure you could take the vector CRT out of it along with the sound hardware as that still works.

The shell itself is also in good condition.

Coming with it is a Vectrex controller. Buttons all work, but like on most controllers, button 4 needs to be pressed down harder as it's the one that's used all the time.

The analog stick on it is bent a few degrees sideways for some reason. You could probably straighten the shaft out very easily. I never tried it out as I didn't want to risk breaking the controller and the yolks are quite expensive.

Currently it's in Enternow's so I can't trade it tomorrow, but I'll be picking it up soon.

If someone has something good to trade, I can throw in some overlays too. I can't remember how many I had, but I think it was about 5 or 6..or maybe 7!

Heres a few pics from when before the image went screwy

8.jpg

Seems I have 7 overlays

11.jpg

3.jpg

10.jpg

6.jpg

It's absolutely pains me to get rid of this by the way, I love the little machine. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'd be very interested in this, anything in particular you're looking for in trade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just to add to this, when I fit the capkit it did change the screen geometry from what is was beforehand. This means if its ever fixed, the screen geometry will need to be recalibrated by the three internal pots. You need either the Vectrex Test Cart to do this, or run the test cart rom on a Vec Flash...it gives a staged setup & adjustment routine where you adjust each pot one at a time until the geometry is correct.

There's no scorch marks at all on the pcb's, both look fine. I've removed & reseated the socketed roms to eliminate bad contacts. The caps in the kit were replaced, & I resoldered the flyback & yoke wires to rule out a contact issue.

Nothing more I can think of so you'd need to get your hands on the schematics & get down to some component level fault finding. I'm sure its fixable with the right knowledge, but it's like anything with crt fault finding...its all trial & error.

Have the schematics and service manual alright. Knowledge is a different story though :)
    Maybe hit it with a hammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd be very interested in this, anything in particular you're looking for in trade ?

Hey man. Ideally arcade related stuff. Although I'd be interested in hearing about any cool bits you might have about!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hey man. Ideally arcade related stuff. Although I'd be interested in hearing about any cool bits you might have about!

Got a Jaguar + controllers + Iron Man cart.

or

An Ikea Ramvik cabinet. Working but could do with a new core, works grand with Mala but Hyperspin is a bridge too far for it :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oooh, the Ramvik could be interesting.

What you running inside of that as a matter of interest? (Monitor size etc?)

Reckon it'd be possible to have the monitor rotated vertically in it?

The hardware is an old Thinkpad, 17" screen and Ipac for the controller.

Is a square you if you sit to the side its rotated for you :) Ignore the fact the control shelf is it the wrong place.

I'm using Mala on it now so flipping between vertical & horz is easy enough to do and using a USB-PS2 controller or similar would be handier.

This is the first cab I built and if doing it again I'd remake the drawer in a nice box containing a mini-itx or laptop and just use a pair of SNES controller or something like that.

Anyway this is how it looks now.

7716264206_e30eb9fa24_z.jpg

7716263992_608a07b4b3_z.jpg

7716264576_bbc67db5f7_z.jpg

7716264800_75eafacf2d_z.jpg

7716264380_5185f5b142_z.jpg

Master of the Universe

Okay the Raiden screen settles it, you have me sold :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement