Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you swim?

• 02-08-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

I can't remember not being able to swim. My Dad took us to the pool regularly as kids. In a family of 7 all but two can swim well. As a kid I even used to go swimming in the local river with my friends - used to jump off this bridge actually (brag).

I'm not really into the swimming pool any more because you're not allowed to dive or jump in (yes, I'm a big child). Anyway, enough waffle. Do you like swimming? Can you swim?

Can you swim. 277 votes

I'm a fairly decent swimmer.
    0% 0 votes
    I can swim but not very well.
    55% 154 votes
    I can't swim.
    24% 67 votes
    Atari amphibian.
    20% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I go every week, twice if I can.

Absolutely love swimming!

My parents used to call me a mermaid because I love water so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Of course!
    I grew up in Germany and spent most of my summers in rivers and lakes.
    I still absolutely love swimming, I'll be in the pool at least once a week, twice if I can manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Yes, was dropped in the pool at six months old.

I'm not a strong swimmer though, and panic when my feet aren't touching the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I drop the kids off at the pool every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I can fail to drown but I wouldn't quite call it swimming. It's something I plan on working into my routine whenever I get involved in a decent gym in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

No I can't. Something I'd love to learn to do thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Only just swam properly for the first time last summer. I was 40 then!!It was a fantastic sensation,really enjoyed it. Got so excited that I'd laugh mid stroke and swallow loads of water. I was always the one sitting on the beach minding the gear but not anymore.I got lessons as a child but I must not have kept them up and never really went to the local pool or the beach very often. When I had children of my own I made sure they took lessons at an early age and kept them up for a few years. They are both great swimmers,very confident in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Every day!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Yes. I learned to swim when I was seven. I learned to dive when I was eleven. I still swim, but I have lost my nerve for diving boards...

Every day!? :eek:

Usually in the morning at about 8.45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The last time I swam was going up the fallopian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I never learned because I was sh*t scared of the water!!

My mate's uncle brought us swimming once and I wouldn't get in! He said I was an "idiot" and laughed at me for thinking the water was dangerous.

2 years later he drowned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Grew up ten minutes from the beach but no. I intend to do some lessons though when I can afford it. Feel like I'm missing out. Strangely despite not being able to swim I have no fear of the water and have nearly drowned a few times as a result. Bit more cop on these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I can swim half or maybe 3/4 a length on my back before my legs give in.. Any other type of swimming is beyond me... I will learn though at some stage in my life.. Do wish my parents had just fecked me in a pool to make me learn when I was younger :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I can swim half or maybe 3/4 a length on my back before my legs give in.. Any other type of swimming is beyond me... I will learn though at some stage in my life.. Do wish my parents had just fecked me in a pool to make me learn when I was younger :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I got a fifty meter badge sewed onto the front of me budgie smugglers. ;)

MrStuffins wrote: »

OMG! Poor guy.

OMG! Poor guy.

I know! I was only 8! He shouldn't have been calling me an idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

I can swim but I was lucky that my school had a swimming pool (25+ years ago). I think it depends/depended on where you live/lived. One of the men who managed the pool couldn't swim...

25+ years ago, our parents tried to set up a competitive swimming club but the school authorities (Christian Brothers) wouldn't allow it because they didn't want girls to be members. There's a bad taste joke there somewhere but I'm not going make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My mate's uncle brought us swimming once and I wouldn't get in! He said I was an "idiot" and laughed at me for thinking the water was dangerous.

I laughed. I'm going to hell. :(

• Advertisement

I had an uncle who used to take the piss out of me because - at the time - I didn't know how to drive.

He used to bomb around the place in a souped-up Subaru, doing crazy overtakes & flying around bends at breakneck speeds.

A few years ago he spontaneously combusted.

I know! I was only 8! He shouldn't have been calling me an idiot!

Because you went all 'Damien Omen' on him and made him drown while you watched dispassionately from the river bank? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Never learned, because my Mother was afraid of water. Went to lessons once, but that didn't last long. Annoyingly, i have lived literally a stones throw away from the sea my whole life.
    I used to jump in, where it was shallow enough, or if i knew i could reach the steps/ladder.

Still couldn't tread water if my life depended on it. I remember a friend trying to teach me, and i went under for a sec, that was enough lessons that day..

To answer the OP, yes I can swim.
    At the moment I can go for 10-15 lengths without stopping and then I feel like I'm running out of breath.

We were taught in primary school but it took me a lot longer than anyone else to grasp it (about 3 years longer). Once it clicked, you couldn't stop me. I joined the swimming club and was eventually doing 60 lengths in a session.
    Would love to get back to that level of fitness and was nearly there about 4 months ago until I got an injury and didn't commit myself to swimming in the meantime. Missed opportunity really.

Because you went all 'Damien Omen' on him and made him drown while you watched dispassionately from the river bank? :eek:

Evidently from your link, Damien was played by Kirsten Dunst!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I joined the swimming club and was eventually doing 60 lengths in a session.

Wow. Impressive. That's just shy of a mile.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think it's very irresponsible for parents these days not to give their children some sort of swimming lessons. They don't have to be olympians, but should be able to hold their own until they can be helped.

Re. the op, I'm a fairly decent swimmer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Wow. Impressive. That's just shy of a mile.

Thanks
    Did it on Mondays and Tuesdays. Always wonder how Mam managed to have the togs dry and ready to go on Tuesday morning after Monday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah I am a pretty good swimmer, a great exercise.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Thanks
    Did it on Mondays and Tuesdays. Always wonder how Mam managed to have the togs dry and ready to go on Tuesday morning after Monday...

Mums have special powers that they don't tell anyone about. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Love that phrase. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Used to be good enough when I was younger. I'm lucky to manage a doggy paddle these days, I'm cometely out of practise.
    It's one of the things I want to improve on in the next few months though. Even though I know how to swim I just don't seem to be able so I'm going to go to swimming lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Nope, never learnt, I seem to have spent my swimming lessons blowing up my armbands by the side of the pool. I was a bit nervous of water as well and once I was in the pool I became as buoyant as a brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Yes i can swim and used to be fairly good doing 60ish lenghts in sesion. Then life hit me and havent been swiming in over a year :eek: will have to get back into it.

First learned on holidays as a kid. My brother who is 3 years younger than me learned the second day of holidays. I threw a jealous fit and spent the next 4 days constantly in the pool until i got it. Nearly drowned a cuple of times when i though it would be a good idea to jump straight into the deep end to try and force myself into swiming. The lifegards were not impressed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I could not even float 2 years ago. Really put the effort in and learned. Im up to 50 lengths/1km now. Try go 3 times a week if i can. Really wish there was more importance put on swimming in primary and secondary school in this country. There are plenty of good facilities in most towns. Its a much more enjoyable excercise than running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I would put Michael Phelps to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Love to swim but I don't do it enough these days. I've always loved the water and actually don't remember not knowing how to swim. Apparently we went on holidays when I was a toddler I was constantly running away from my parents and jumping into the pool forcing them or my older brothers to jump in after me. They decided the simplest solution was to just teach me to swim straight away and I picked it up in an afternoon.

After that I started lessons and actually swam competitively for a while. I really wish I'd kept it up but I got sick of swimming six days a week and having no life outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Few bad experiences as a kid I and from there although I would get in a pool I was one of those holding onto the bar with white knuckles and fear in my eyes :eek:. Panic really sets in when I can't feel the end of the pool. So no I can't swim even though I am nearly 30. Feel like such an idiot when I am in a position of having to admit that. I am determined to learn and its one of those things on my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Can't swim, won't swim, terrified to swim.....

Not going on any bucket list.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

yep good confident swimmer and saved two lives over the years in non lifeguard attended pools and in the sea. was up to 60 lengths in 45 minutes when I was fit but then got really bored....now up to 20 lengths over 30 minutes lately and loving the swimming again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Few bad experiences as a kid I and from there although I would get in a pool I was one of those holding onto the bar with white knuckles and fear in my eyes :eek:. Panic really sets in when I can't feel the end of the pool. So no I can't swim even though I am nearly 30. Feel like such an idiot when I am in a position of having to admit that. I am determined to learn and its one of those things on my bucket list.

I learned to swim when I was 22. I really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There's bound to be adult classes somewhere that you can go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

swimming was one of the required physical education classes but I learned to swim before that. Enjoy it very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm a fúckin fish!
    Come at me bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I've been swimming since I was 4. Love the pool and love the sea too!

Swimming is a great way to exercise. You use most of your muscles at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

sis was leinster champion, I swam at national level - was a sporty family, mine was the backstroke. I can still do it like a turbine,.... for about 50m. Damn smokes.. gotta quit. Or stop exerting myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I love swimming I can't remember what age I learnt it was young. I was told I started copying a woman swimming in a pool. Then a bit later I did swimming lessons for a while. I can do all the swimming styles. I have a good technique well my family are always saying it. I really enjoy swimming and still do. I'd never joined competitive swimming. I was worried the water would be really deep. Now I'm not too bothered. I really want to join a swimming club now. I love swimming by myself I can really focus on swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like swimming. I can't swim.

The last time I tried to swim was when I was in primary school. The teacher would bring the class to an indoor swimming pool every week where two or three qualified instructors would give us swimming lessons. It's not easy to learn how to do something when you're worried about thirty or so children laughing at you.

I got an award when we were finished with the lessons. My friend pointed out that it was only because they felt sorry for me and I was still a crap swimmer. Screw you Brian you miserable prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Love swimming, best form of exercise. Now jog more than swim and regret that every time I get into the pool, still rather swim a mile than jog it and find it easier. I was lucky, could swim before I went to Aus as a child and then M&D paid for good lessons with a former Olympic swimming coach and then former Olympic water polo coach, still have a recognisable aussie crawl. Can do all four strokes (butterfly is a bit iffy, but can just about manage 25m), my favourite event was the IM and can still just about manage a 4x25m IM on a good day (I'm a tad over weight and closer to 50 than 45).
    Been teaching swimming for over 30 years. Also got into lifesaving/water safety, scuba and tried water skiing, canoeing and wind surfacing probably as a direct of being so comfortable in the water. It's a great gateway sport.

I find that swimming alone is great thinking time. Sometimes I forget what length I'm on coz I've just been going through the motions while my mind wandered off.

I'm not very good at the whole swimming thing. If I was thrown off a boat I'd probably die within minutes. I can do a few lengths of the pool though but that's about it. Doesn't really bother me, wasn't something I ever wanted to do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement