Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you swim?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Only just swam properly for the first time last summer. I was 40 then!!It was a fantastic sensation,really enjoyed it. Got so excited that I'd laugh mid stroke and swallow loads of water. I was always the one sitting on the beach minding the gear but not anymore.I got lessons as a child but I must not have kept them up and never really went to the local pool or the beach very often. When I had children of my own I made sure they took lessons at an early age and kept them up for a few years. They are both great swimmers,very confident in the water.

Sounds exactly like me, I've only started learning to swim (40 as well). I have a 4 year old daughter learning to swim and felt that I should make the effort. It's not coming easy to me, haven't gone to lessons in a few weeks now (for money reasons) but going to go back and give it another shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Learnt to swim a few years back, but haven't kept at it like I should due to not being able to go at my own pace in the local pool. Get in the way of people who do lengths etc. Like learning to drive in a Micra during an F1 race. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pretty much done every swimming award going up until the age of 16, done my Bronze Medallion for Life Guarding at 17, swam anyday I was working for the next 18 months when working as one.

Since that, the nearly only times I have swam is during odd trips to the gym or when on holiday.

Really must get back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I done my pool lifeguard exam just over two years ago, so decent enough I suppose. Havent swam in a while though, must do that again sometime :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I very nearly drowned when i was a kid - twice!! Taught myself to swim when I was 9, always loved swimming. Thought I was pretty good until I had swimming lessons when I was 40. It's so much easier when you do it properly.
    Just got back from hols last week and discovered I'd put on 1/2 stone. Went swimming the last four days and it's all gone. Swimming is the dogs'......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yes, was dropped in the pool at six months old.

I'm not a strong swimmer though, and panic when my feet aren't touching the ground.
    Same. I could never understand what the instructor was on about as I'm about 85% deaf without my hearing aids, let alone with my head under water. I also got left behind at the deep end by an over zealous instructor so now whenever I'm in a pool, I rarely leave the shallow end. I can barely kick my legs out as I have no sense of how to swim at all. I just wade around for a bit and chat to the life guards. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can't swim, but for some reason can float for Ireland. No treading water required. Must be all the buoyant hot air I produce internally.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

For those who learned to swim later in life, how difficult is it?

I can swim a length with my head out of the water, but it's not pretty to watch. I'd love to be taught the proper technique, but I have a bit of a fear of not getting the breathing underwater right and water going up my nose.

I made sure my kids got lessons. It was a joy to watch them in the pool during our holidays, but I'd love to be able to join in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yeah fairly good . Did all the levels and things. I hate the butterfly stroke. I never could get it properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Mother used to make me go to swimming lessons during school in second class because I couldnt swim. Every monday I used to come down with a mysterious illness, different thing every week until she realised my "illness'" coincided with swimming class and she forced me to go.

One night I had one of those dreams you could swear was real, dreamt I could swim and was swimming. Woke up (still only about 8/9 years old here) so pissed off that it was only a dream that I though "today I am going to swim". went to the pool, grabbed one of those stupid foam pads you hold to help you and swam there and then.

27 now and I'm a SCUBA diver :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have only learned in the last 12 months (in my late 20s). Learned in the sea.. thrown in at the deep end so to speak. I am still not a great swimmer by any stretch of the imagine but being in the sea and not being able to "touch the bottom" (of the sea that is) and not drowning is great.

Funnily, I swim better (and more confidently) in the sea compared to a pool. Apparently there's a scientific reason behind that one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Uriel. wrote: »
    Have only learned in the last 12 months (in my late 20s). Learned in the sea.. thrown in at the deep end so to speak. I am still not a great swimmer by any stretch of the imagine but being in the sea and not being able to "touch the bottom" (of the sea that is) and not drowning is great.

Funnily, I swim better (and more confidently) in the sea compared to a pool. Apparently there's a scientific reason behind that one though
    You float better in salt water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No never learned to swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Why is there not an "I'm a fucking deadly swimmer" poll option? I wouldn't check it myself but surely there are some fucking deadly swimmers here? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No I can't, have to wear armbands and a snorkel having a shower :( :P

Not much of a water person anyway, pool or sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You float better in salt water?

That's the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I can swim as well now as I could the day I was launched from me old boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I never got lessons, I just jumped into the deep end, managed not to drown and kinda just knew what I was doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I respect water enough to not get into it. Unless it's it has warm bubbles. (Not the fart type of bubbles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can swim, I used to do it competitively up till about 4-5 years ago. I still go once or twice a week if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes, I'm a pretty good swimmer. My Mother dropped me into a pool when I was a few months old and that's how I learned to swim. Never got any swimming lessons or any of that. Was in a swimming club in France when I was a kid. Still swim a few times a week! Love it.

I'm also a qualified lifeguard.

Loads of people I know can't swim. At all. Like they can't even do a doggy paddle :confused: I don't know why any parent wouldn't teach their child to swim/get them swimming lessons. It's so important!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I can't remember not being able to swim. My Dad took us to the pool regularly as kids. In a family of 7 all but two can swim well. As a kid I even used to go swimming in the local river with my friends - used to jump off this bridge actually (brag).

I'm not really into the swimming pool any more because you're not allowed to dive or jump in (yes, I'm a big child). Anyway, enough waffle. Do you like swimming? Can you swim?
    Nice Bridge Tarzan. Very impressive!
    Yes.I learned to swim when I was 8. Was a member of a Swimming Club from 8 to about 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can swim, my technique is still pretty poor because I haven't taken a lesson since I was about 13, but I can swim 60 lengths (1.5km) in about 40 minutes. I don't get to swim anywhere near as much as I'd like to - hard to fit it in with work and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

kfallon wrote: »
    No I can't, have to wear armbands and a snorkel having a shower :( :P

Not much of a water person anyway, pool or sea

I hate washing myself, I generally avoid having a shower or a bath.
    FYP

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I can swim well, had lessons as a child, can't remember the last time I took a dip though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only learned in the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I much prefer the sea to the swimming pool. Haven't been in in a while though. I have a wetsuit and body board I take out every so often. Great craic so 'tis. Swimming alone isn't enough stimulation for me - there has to be some sort of more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I joined the swimming club and was eventually doing 60 lengths in a session.

1,500m - I'd say only 1 in a 100 people here can do that - very impressive :)

Where I grew up, everybody learned to swim. For donkeys years I used to do this thing in August where you had to complete 20 lengths of a full size Olympic pool (20 * 50m = 1,000m), 4 nights in a row to get a medal

My little sister finished it when she was 5 - she broke the record and made it into the local newspapers :)

Advertisement