Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Skip Question

• 02-08-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Folks, have query about mini skip. Hired one there today, and the builder that was renovating my house overfilled it a bit. I thought was bit much and didn't think company would take, but he said it will be fine as they usually put a net over it, I never heard of this before. Has anyone ever had probleams with a company refusing to take the skip. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Folks, have query about mini skip. Hired one there today, and the builder that was renovating my house overfilled it a bit. I thought was bit much and didn't think company would take, but he said it will be fine as they usually put a net over it, I never heard of this before. Has anyone ever had probleams with a company refusing to take the skip. Thanks.

The skip lorry driver will have a large "grab net" that he will throw over the top of the skip,to prevent anything falling back out of the skip.

He will then lift it onto his lorry and drive away.

No problem at all with a skip having a bit more that it is supposed to have in it.:)

Ive seen many a skip loaded up to allmost 3 times its height with household items and rubbish.and they are taken away no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

paddy147 wrote: »
    The skip lorry driver will have a large "grab net" that he will throw over the top of the skip,to prevent anything falling back out of the skip.

He will then lift it onto his lorry and drive away.

No problem at all with a skip having a bit more that it is supposed to have in it.:)

Ive seen many a skip loaded up to allmost 3 times its height with household items and rubbish.and they are taken away no problem.

Cheers Paddy, good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I'm afraid I've had the misfortune of being refused collection of a skip. If it happens it can be a disaster. In my case we had packed it up double height with soil, bounded by wood and old flagstones.

Had to get another skip and transfer it. It was ridiculously high mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just a word of caution to add to this thread and really its only free advice. A lorry that delivers a skip can be anything from 2-4 tons. Lets say 2 tons.

Then you fill the skip with 1-2 tons of rubble add to that possibly half ton of rain fall

When that truck comes back to collect the load you now have a combined weight in this case of min 3.5 tons on your drive. This weight will be fine

But if you use a bigger truck, heavier skip and it fills longer with rain. Be cautious if you have a cobble driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I've had the misfortune of being refused collection of a skip. If it happens it can be a disaster. In my case we had packed it up double height with soil, bounded by wood and old flagstones.

Had to get another skip and transfer it. It was ridiculously high mind you!

Happy to report, it was collected and no issues. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I packed them to the rafters, then hide when they come to collect them,:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have seen them refuse to collect them many times. Mainly from renovation sites where they are built up each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 banjobeer

i drive a skip lorry, had a skip with a builder who overfilled it with rubble and clay, about 6 tonnes in it, he was gone when i went to collect it and because of the weight of it i had to lower my jacks at rear of truck on cobble drive when i started lifting jacks went straight through cobbles, you should have seen the mess, broke cobbles pushed into a big hole and all around ground swelled up, not a good sight, probably cost more to repair it than another skip would be.
    plus it is a condition on the permit that skips are loaded level with the sides, thats why there are different sizes available.
    imagine if a block or flagstone or something fell off and hit a car and killed a child, skip would be traced back to the hirer, is it really worth it to save a few bob on another skip?...........
    just a thought.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

banjobeer wrote: »
    i drive a skip lorry, had a skip with a builder who overfilled it with rubble and clay, about 6 tonnes in it, he was gone when i went tio collect it and because of the weight of it i had to lower my jacks at rear of truck on cobble drive when i started lifting jacks went straight through cobbles, you should have seen the mess, broke cobbles pushed into a big hole and all around ground swelled up, not a good sight, probably cost more to repair it than another skip would be.
    plus it is a condition on the permit that skips are loaded level with the sides, thats why there are different sizes available.
    imagine if a block or flagstone or something fell off and hit a car and killed a child, skip would be traced back to the hirer, is it really worth it to save a few bob on another skip?...........
    just a thought.........

A couple of inaccuracies there, you are responsible for damaging the drive way.
    also as the driver you are responsible for Anything that falls off and hits a person or object. As a professional you should nit have lifted it or taken it.

Advertisement