Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade(Dell D945)

Options
  • 02-08-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what RAM is compatible with this computer(Intel pentium D945).Can anyone give a link to somewhere selling probably 2GB Ram? Also could someone offer a list of quick upgrades that could be done to get the computer to run faster and to have the ability for a small bit of gaming.(CPU,Graphics card,etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd have DDR 2 with that CPU. As for speed and maximum size supported, you'd need to find out your motherboard, or at least the exact chipset. You can find this by looking at the mainboard tab on the mainboard tab in cpu-z, available at cpuid.com.
    Alternatively, you could use the memory configurator at memoryc.com to recommend you RAM based on your system.

Your upgrade options are very limited with regard to CPU. You're more than likely working at the end of a line with the board you are on, as most boards at the time didn't support the following generation of CPUs due to voltage differences, despite pin compatibilities. If you have a PCI-Express slot and your power supply unit is sufficient, you should be able to get a reasonable graphics card in there.

A €40 celeron G530 would easily beat that CPU by the way, but you'd need a new motherboard, RAM and maybe a case as well, if we're talking about a factory built machine. Modern DDR3 is actually cheaper than DDR2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP - OEMs are evil (Dell and alike) they murder a puppy every time you buy a prebuilt machine. More importantly owing to the way software licences work you can't upgrade the motherboard without buying a new version of windows.

In all honesty donate it and build yourself a nice cheap upgradeable tower. You can easily get one for under €300 - give us a budget and purpose and we can chuck something together for you if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Thanks for the replys.I would hope to spend around 300-350(I can spend a bit more if needs be) total on the computer.I can salvage parts from this computer and I have another compaq that I can use too if there is anything that I could use from them(Hard drive,etc).The computer will mainly be used for browsing the internet,occasional downloads bit I would also like to be able to run games at a decent rate.Any suggestions would be welcome.

When are you thinking for purchasing - there are some cheaper CPUs that do graphics work coming on to the market. What type of games do you play?

I'll put together a build based on a few guesses :) - Do you know if the HDDs in your other machines are SATA - is there a SATA DVD drive?

Oh do you want something nice and cheap now you can expand on over the next year or just buy it and be done with it?

Item|Price
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.18
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€22.04
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.20
    ASRock H61DEL, Sockel 1155, ATX|€56.69
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€113.29
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€286.39

Add 54.95 for Windows from software4students.ie (fiddly but cheap way to get windows)

Nippy machine for browsing ect but its going to be slow on games.

You'll also need to do one of three things - wait and see what AMD does, buy a GPU from HWVS and spend around €150 more or buy a GPU of adverts for less than €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

When are you thinking for purchasing - there are some cheaper CPUs that do graphics work comeing on to the market. What type of games do you play?

I'll put together a build based on a few guesses :) - Do you know if the HDDs in your other machines are SATA - is there a SATA DVD drive?

Oh do you want something nice and cheap now you can expand on over the next year or just buy it and be done with it?

It would be nice to be able to battlefield and the likes,if possible.I don't know what type of hard drive but I'll check and get back to you.I would prefer something cheap now so I can add in better components as they are released.

• Advertisement

Item|Price
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.18
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.20
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€37.24
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.44
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155|€39.63
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€264.68

Worse CPU but great motherboard and 8GB RAM - you can drop in an i5 later as funds permit. You'd still need windows and a GPU. GPUs are complicated at the moment and very much depends on when you pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

^^ That would be a good system to go with if you want to maximise your upgrade possibilities. Integrated graphics won't get you far though. nVidia will be releasing some new graphics cards over the coming months so we should see some market shifts then. I don't see any cards of fantastic value at the moment - 6850s have gone up. Maybe you could get a good deal with a second hand card like a 5850/6850/460/6870 or equivalent on adverts.ie

Advertisement