Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Yoga/Pilates

Options
  • 02-08-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi girls,

Can anyone recommend yoga pr pilates in the dublin area? Preferably on the south side or in the city.

If you are doing/have done it, I'd also love your opinions.
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I went to classes in maynooth so that would be too far for you. Found it brilliant as it really helps take pressure off your back. There are poses/excercises you learn that you can do at home at the end of a tiring day that really help. I found it helped my back more than anything else. Plus if you're having trouble sleeping or relaxing then the breathing excercises are great for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks Mink. Was it Yoga that you did? I seem to be prone to mild backache alot of the time so definitely want to start doing something once i enter the second trimester. Maynooth is too far alright, something a bit closer would be great. thanks though!

Yep pregnancy yoga. I think you can start doing it from 14 weeks on. I started somewhere around 20 weeks when I had a bad back and it really helped. I've gone very sporadically since then but I still use the excercises at home to loosen things up when I get stiff and sore.

Try go every week when you are ready to go as I'd say you will really see the benefit when it comes to the birth, I wish I'd gone more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi girls,

Can anyone recommend yoga pr pilates in the dublin area? Preferably on the south side or in the city.

If you are doing/have done it, I'd also love your opinions.
    thanks!

I did this one for 6 classes from 16 weeks, I liked it :)
    http://www.yogadublin.com/

They have pregnancy classes in Ranelagh, dundrum and somewhere else, I mostly went in dundrum but did the labour prep course in Ranelagh and loved it - waste of money that was cos ended up having to have section but I'm sure if I had to go into labour I would have been all zen like!!!! ;)

I had SPD / pelvic girdle pain and they tailored some of the exercises to help me which was great.

Worth doin - helped me sleep if I did an evening class!

Same here, instructor told me how to tailor some of the excercises while my lower back was still too bad to do some of them.

They usually get you to lie down with cushions for the last 10 mins and they do breathing/relaxation stuff & I actually dozed off on two occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I found aqua aerobics great for back pain. I went from having an early waddle to walking normally again after 2 classes. Most pools around Dublin do classes. I did it in Templeogue and Rathmines, both of which you just pay by class (€6 -€6.50) so you don't have to commit to it and can just do it when you feel like it. Rathmines can be a bit crowded as they divide the pool into separate sections for different activites, whereas in Templeogue it's just one activity at a time which is nicer, imo.

I had also been about to sign up to a pilates class I found that looks fantastic as it's run by qualified physiotherapists, so you can be confident that you won't accidentally exacerbate a problem. But you have to sign up for 6 weeks at a time which doesn't suit me as I'd most likely be leaving the country halfway through. It's off Leeson St; http://www.physiofusion.ie/pilates-classes-dublin/pregnancy-pilates/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I went to yoga classes run by Brenda Murphy in Clondalkin but I think she does them in Stillorgan and Lucan too. For some reason I can't open her website at the moment but it's mumsandbabies.ie
    She is really lovely and is also a midwife so she asks everyone how they're feeling at the start of class and is always available for a quick chat if you've got a pregnancy related query.

I had bad back pain from about 10 weeks throughout my pregnancy and I went for a 30 min massage every week.

For massage I'd recommend the Elbow Room in Stonybatter. They also do pregnancy yoga and pilates and their instructors are excellent but they're expensive.

Advertisement