Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedges Cutting in August?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Birdnuts wrote: »
    All bird species and their active nests are protected under Irish and EU law - barring certain game birds in season and a handfull of pigeon and crow species that can be shot/trapped if damaging crops etc.

Thanks for that, I actually didnt realize that it was all birds. I assumed some but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

What should I do if I come across a bird’s nest?

A nest should be left strictly alone! Even casual observation of the nest can cause stress to the parents and young birds. Please note that it is an offence under the Wildlife Acts 1976-2000 to interfere with the nest of any wild bird..
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Advice/FAQ/BabyBirdFAQ/tabid/371/Default.aspx

I'm a bit surprised you didn't seek advice from Birdwatch Ireland on this considering that you are a member.

They wouldn't be pussy-footing about what you should do.

Reason I didnt ask there was that I also wanted to find out about cutting season and the dangers of the cutting and no protection on the blades, I'm not hugely active on those forums anyway, I prefer the diversity over here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

johngalway wrote: »
    brian_t wrote: »
    March to August.

:D

I think you may mean September there. Though it always tickles me when people say August.

Look out the window. It's November. Has been since may. We can cut to the bone. -:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

You didn't read my post properly.

I said

"The hedge cutting rule is simply no cutting during the nesting period March to August."

March to August does not include the month of August!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You didn't read my post properly.

I said

"The hedge cutting rule is simply no cutting during the nesting period March to August."

Yes, I did. March to August doesn't include August. March to September does.

johngalway wrote: »
    Yes, I did. March to August doesn't include August. March to September does.

Of course the phrase March to August includes both months March and August.

If you work Monday to Friday then you work a 5 day week (Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday & Friday)
    You wouldn't say you work Monday to Saturday.

Of course the phrase March to August includes both months March and August.

If you work Monday to Friday then you work a 5 day week (Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday & Friday)
    You wouldn't say you work Monday to Saturday.

It doesn't, you're misleading people saying March to August. The dates are 1st of March to 31st of August. To August implies that when you reach the end of July you can cut away in August.

You could work 9 to 5. Doesnt mean that you will work until 6!

hoochis wrote: »
    You could work 9 to 5. Doesnt mean that you will work until 6!

The 5 refers to 5 o'clock. Not a period of time.

Some lads here need to go back to school.

• Advertisement

The 5 refers to 5 o'clock. Not a period of time.

Some lads here need to go back to school.

Better pack your bag and lunch box so! :)

Copied from online dictionary.

to: (used for expressing a point of limit in time) before; until: to this day; It is ten minutes to six. We work from nine to five.

hoochis wrote: »
    Copied from online dictionary.

to: (used for expressing a point of limit in time) before; until: to this day; It is ten minutes to six. We work from nine to five.

Copied from (probably) same page.

4. as far as; until: working from Monday to Friday

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/to

I think we might have to agree to differ

Copied from (probably) same page.

4. as far as; until: working from Monday to Friday

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/to

I think we might have to agree to differ

You're working with incomplete days. You're not working Friday evening and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

this is turning into the opening speech of a Macra debate with a row over definitions of the word "to"

its March to August INCLUSIVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

another thread gone for a sh1t

snowman707 wrote: »
    another thread gone for a sh1t

You mean to say "another thread gone TO sh1t"? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

this is turning into the opening speech of a Macra debate with a row over definitions of the word "to"

its March to August INCLUSIVE

You are correct, but I don't know what that big word inclusive means! So I cutting what needs cutting. :-)

Fantastic its turned into battle of the grammar nazis. Well I got my answer so you guys duke it out :P

Advertisement