Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best greasy spoon in Ireland?

• 02-08-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Please recommend. Our local place is posh and does brunch with eggs benedict and smoked salmon and the like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Are you going to travel around Ireland to get to it or would like somewhere close to you?

You really are a lazygal :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Difficult to recommend all of the country but The Golden Grill in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's in my frying pan.

I always had a soft spot for Gigs Place, Portobello.

Many's a night I fell in and fell out of that place.

Qucik google :) still open, from midnight till dawn .

Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'd give ya a greasy spoon ...mwah mwah

as in I'd spoon you greasily or something .. actually that's sounds horrible and imagine the manky feeling of the sheets .. yuk ... so erm bye

(real answer : Angela's rashers in Ballyfermot)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Jake1 wrote: »

tom really looks after you in there.

the good times cafe in arklow is very very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Harvest Kitchen, Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The one in Leo Vradkars kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

The Pantry on Talbot Street. Always liked that place.

The Manhattan was the bomb too , dont think its open anymore there, another great late night place where you could fill up on all the greasy food ye wanted, and loads of bread and butter ;)

The Luxury :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Country Choice, Nenagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Ah how I miss The Rye greasy spoon that used to be in Maynooth. Now they knew how to clog your arteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Matt the Rashers on Sundrive Road in Crumlin.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Matt the Rashers on Sundrive Road in Crumlin.

ive said it so many times, the monto is imo, much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And you were wrong all those other times too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Frends, Tuam Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Roma in dundalk, home of the grumpiest woman youd ever meet. Iv seen her shout at a pregnant woman for not having smaller than a 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

The Scullery in Bray is beauty

Cienciano wrote: »
    And you were wrong all those other times too.

like i said 'in my opinion'. i think you are wrong but matt the rasher is better in your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

News Cafe in Blackrock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The Cafe attatched to the Travellodge on the roundabout at swords, can't remember the name(never really looked tbh) but they do a lovely fry-up in there. Staff are nice too. Always full of taxi-drivers but I try my best to overlook that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Does Gerry's on Montague Street in Dublin count as a greasy spoon? Dunno, but they do a cracking fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Off The Square in Clifden....sweet Jesus the breakfasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Roma Cafe in Kilkenny - haven't been there in years but do the best hangover cure fry I have ever had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Toss up between mountjoy and castlerea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

The Premier in wexford town is very good.. when im down seeing herself we always go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Fidelmas in Dunshauglin.... Ooooh the frys *drools*:pac:

Never been in, I will have to give it a shot sometime.

Boss Hoggs in Clondalkin village is another decent shop. Seriously upped their game recently. Used to be a kip. Got their "small" breakfast for 5.95 euro which was great value and had me full for the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

lazygal wrote: »
    Please recommend. Our local place is posh and does brunch with eggs benedict and smoked salmon and the like.

Poncy Fúckers.

Eggs is eggs. :mad:

• Advertisement

The Premier in wexford town is very good.. when im down seeing herself we always go.

me and the wife ate there recently. amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

le la rat wrote: »
    Toss up between mountjoy and castlerea

The vioce of experience ?

Hope you enjoyed your 'toss ups' as much as your fellow inmates did. :pac:

Qucik google :) still open, from midnight till dawn .

Bless.

he isnt open monday or tuesday anymore

he isnt open monday or tuesday anymore

Thats a shame, mind you, I suppose hes lucky to be open at all now a days, so many places closed down :(

Thats a shame, mind you, I suppose hes lucky to be open at all now a days, so many places closed down :(

all ill say is, if you go into the snug in the portobello before the gigs opens, buy tom a couple of pints........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Del Rios across from the Abbey Theatre, not been there in ages but byjaysus it used to be lovely :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Lapin wrote: »
    The vioce of experience ?

Hope you enjoyed your 'toss ups' as much as your fellow inmates did. :pac:
    A good time was had by all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The Manhattan was the bomb too , dont think its open anymore there, another great late night place where you could fill up on all the greasy food ye wanted, and loads of bread and butter ;)

The Luxury :)

Manhattan was legendary!! Good days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

There's a place just as you're leaving Carrick-on-Suir heading for Piltown, beside the petrol station, can't recall the name. Lovely fry ups.

Another place in New Ross, Sid's Diner, lovely fry ups, often head there on the way back from a rally :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Roma in dundalk, home of the grumpiest woman youd ever meet. Iv seen her shout at a pregnant woman for not having smaller than a 50

Remember the place opposite the hospital, i think it was called "what the doctor ordered"

Fidelmas in Dunshauglin.... Ooooh the frys *drools*:pac:

Try finishing one :eek: full Irish with chips, beans and a round of toast :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Definatly not a greasy spoon, but they do an amazing breakfast. Lindas Krusty Kitchen in Donegal Town. Plateful of 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 hash brown, 1 egg, fried potatos, beans, toast, OJ, and a tea or coffee.

Another nomination, also not a greasy spoon, some some Italian Cafe (I think) just around the corner from Lansdowne Rd. Bacon, Cumberland sausage, choice of egg, fried tomato, mushrooms, doorstop sized toast and tea/coffee/OJ.

Nyom nyom nyom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

The Snackery in Tralee not healthy but Yummy

benwavner wrote: »
    News Cafe in Blackrock

Small place 4/5 tables? Used to do flat sausages.. Loved it :p

Chips and beans are a big no no.

They do not belong in a full Irish breakfast. If they are serving a load of chips and beans it means the rest of their produce is garbage and that they are over compensating for that fact.

Run a mile.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Chips and beans are a big no no.

They do not belong in a full Irish breakfast. If they are serving a load of chips and beans it means the rest of their produce is garbage and that they are over compensating for that fact.

Run a mile.

Not in there. They had different breakfasts, small, medium etc. I think the one that included chips and beans and all the works was called the truckers breakfast, and it would feed a starving family :p

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Cafe Sofia on Wexford St

Manhattan was the best ever, really miss that place - any know what happening or why it closed? Because it was always busy whenever open

Roma in Dundalk is class too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Country Choice, Nenagh

Ah, now.

That could never be in the greasy spoon category.

Peter Ward would not be impressed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'll second Gigs Place and Matt the Rashers, in fact last January I managed to do Gigs' Place after a night in Whelans, went back to someones gaff in Rathmines for a party and went to Matt's about 11 the next morning for an all day breakfast with some fried liver. Yum Yum!! :pac:

There is also an excellent greasy spoon in Robin Hood Industrial estate in Ballymount, Dublin. It's almost right opposite Musgraves Cash & Carry. Excellent food at all hours and huge portions too.

Also a place in Coolock in the industrial estate but I don't know the name, on the left as you are driving in there.

Mother Hubbards between Enfield and Kinnegad used to be great, it's gone very bad recently. Pity.

bijapos wrote: »
    I'll second Gigs Place and Matt the Rashers, in fact last January I managed to do Gigs' Place after a night in Whelans, went back to someones gaff in Rathmines for a party and went to Matt's about 11 the next morning for an all day breakfast with some fried liver. Yum Yum!! :pac:

There is also an excellent greasy spoon in Robin Hood Industrial estate in Ballymount, Dublin. It's almost right opposite Musgraves Cash & Carry. Excellent food at all hours and huge portions too.

Also a place in Coolock in the industrial estate but I don't know the name, on the left as you are driving in there.

Mother Hubbards between Enfield and Kinnegad used to be great, it's gone very bad recently. Pity.

the one in cashel is still good, kinnegad is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

I never have im usually dying with a hangover anyway.. Tis the cure!

• Advertisement
Advertisement