Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Taker retire?

Options
  • 02-08-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So I'm having an argiment with a pal of mine since Wrestlemania. Undertaker is no spring chicken I will admit that. But in my opinion he is someone who should hang around and have the odd match here and there and help the young guys past the barrier from "nearly there" to main event status. And of course he has drawing power and is a fan favorite. If he's feeling well and looking well and able to put on matches like he has the last two 'Manias then why not?

My friend though thinks that after his history of injuries, the fact he's closer to 50 than he is 40 and the fact he and his missus are about to have a baby, it's time for the deadman to ride off in to the sunset and enjoy his well deserved retirement.

Basically I'm just looking for a fresh opinion here because I've had this argument with my friend so many times I have the whole thing memorised :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

wrestling one match a year he is fine, he is 47 but kane is wrestling every week and he is 45

there is still alot of money to be made on cena vs taker at mania, taker and lesnar at mania would also draw

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

rossie1977 wrote: »
    wrestling one match a year he is fine,

That's what my point is, don't give him a huge work load. Just a match or two to help out the young 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'd agree with you there, but I wouldn't feel hard done by if he never appeared on T.V again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For all intents and purposes, Taker is retired. At least, as far as retirements go in the world of wrestling.....

True. I mean, it seems weird when he's mentioned in articles as being a part of the roster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Taker's match is the most anticipated Match at Mania and has been for at least the last 4 years imo. He's down to working one match a year and it really does pay WWE's bills, so he shouldn't retire. Not when he's still got a few more people to face - Brock next year, Punk & Cena down the line. FWIW i believe he'll retire at 25-0.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Taker's match is the most anticipated Match at Mania and has been for at least the last 4 years imo. He's down to working one match a year and it really does pay WWE's bills, so he shouldn't retire. Not when he's still got a few more people to face - Brock next year, Punk & Cena down the line. FWIW i believe he'll retire at 25-0.

It makes sense to round it off at 25 or, however unlikely, 30 - 0.

He is being set up for a Survivor Series return I hear though so maybe he isn't on Santa's schedual just yet?

As I said in another thread (and I'm pretty sure it's an idea I got into my head from reading peoples' opinions here), I think he might be going to lose at Survivor Series for WrestleMania?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Personally I think he should have his match with Lesnar next year and then bow out with an epic showdown against Cena at WM 30.

naitsirhc wrote: »
    He is being set up for a Survivor Series return I hear though so maybe he isn't on Santa's schedual just yet?

Personally I think Survivor Series is a lame duck so he'd be better used at SummerSlam. That's where these WM rematches should be!

On Santa's Schedule! He's have to wear this then

41ZkJVvfaVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement

Personally I think he should have his match with Lesnar next year and then bow out with an epic showdown against Cena at WM 30.

Taker is definitely facing Lesnar next year at Mania. You know why? Because guarantee Brock signed a one-year deal and they'll use his last date as WrestleMania in the biggest match they can. I'll stake my reputation on it!*

*i don't have a reputation? Well i'm hoping to acquire one from this escapade! :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Because guarantee Brock signed a one-year deal and they'll use his last date as WrestleMania in the biggest match they can. I'll stake my reputation on it!*

*i don't have a reputation? Well i'm hoping to acquire one from this escapade! :pac:

Apparently it's Undertakers choice who he faces. He was given a choice between Brock, Rock and Cena. Who ever Taker choses, the other two will face each other. That's the story making the rounds anyways...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I reckon it has to be Lesnar vs Taker at WM29. Nothing else will do. As Jayk stated, it will be Lesnars final match. There is no point in putting him in a title match as the outcome will be obvious. He won't be walking out with the title.

They have history both in WWE and more importantly in UFC, and it's guaranteed to be a major draw.

I'd like Taker to fight someone for the WWE title at Survivor Series only for Lesnar to interfere and body him. As far as I know, Lesnar's contract means he is supposed to be on about 25 Raws (2 per month for 1 year) and he is waaaay behind on that right now. They could have him at over half the Raws between now and Mania and build him back up into the unstoppable monster while Taker recovers from a Survivor Series beating.

Oh, man. I'm not really in the mood to see Dwayne vs. John 2 though. Hmm. Maybe John Cena as his opponent and have The Rock take on Brock. Although Cena is the weak link, personally.

Oh, man. I'm not really in the mood to see Dwayne vs. John 2 though. Hmm. Maybe John Cena as his opponent and have The Rock take on Brock. Although Cena is the weak link, personally.

Don't worry mate, Cena will be champion by Rumble and job to Rocky. Punk will win the Rumble match so it'll be Punk/Rock at Mania. Also Taker/Brock, so that leaves Cena....with Big Show and Kane ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

If they could do Rock and Taker vs Lesnar and Punk at Survivor Series that'd be great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Lesnar to beat HHH at summerslam, starts a beat down then lights out bong taker behind him chokeskam mania match booked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭glenjamin

As long as there's no more repeat Mania matches then no. The only two people left to wrestle is Lesnar and Cena. If Lesnar (hopefully) beats HHH at Summerslam it should end with Taker magically appearing in the ring and taking out Lesnar. That leads to the two of them at the next Mania and the year after he takes on Cena. Throw in a title for that match and Taker's career ends with him holding the WWE title. He should only continue after that for one more year if he plans on putting the next top guy over at the following Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

glenjamin wrote: »
    As long as there's no more repeat Mania matches then no. The only two people left to wrestle is Lesnar and Cena. If Lesnar (hopefully) beats HHH at Summerslam it should end with Taker magically appearing in the ring and taking out Lesnar. That leads to the two of them at the next Mania and the year after he takes on Cena. Throw in a title for that match and Taker's career ends with him holding the WWE title. He should only continue after that for one more year if he plans on putting the next top guy over at the following Mania.
    No, sure wrestlers never retire anyway.

I didn't think naitch should have "retired" a few years back either

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's still matches involving him that I'd like to see. I'd like to see him take on Brock and Cena and I'd also love a match involving him and Sheamus.

I liked that they played up Taker was getting older at this year's Mania and if they can do that each year it will make him seem more vulnerable and get people thinking that he might lose at Mania.

I think Kane on the other hand is the one that maybe needs to think about wrapping it up. There's not much else that can be done with him at this point imo.

• Advertisement

There's still matches involving him that I'd like to see. I'd like to see him take on Brock and Cena and I'd also love a match involving him and Sheamus.

I think Kane on the other hand is the one that maybe needs to think about wrapping it up. There's not much else that can be done with him at this point imo.

I've always liked the idea of Taker vs Barrett. Seems like a good match to me..

As far as Kane goes, I think that the day they do officially retire, Taker, Kane and Paul Bearer should all bow out together. Seems only fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

naitsirhc wrote: »
    As far as Kane goes, I think that the day they do officially retire, Taker, Kane and Paul Bearer should all bow out together. Seems only fitting.

once bearer defrosts ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

GTR63 wrote: »
    once bearer defrosts ;-D

Considering he clawed his way out of a concrete grave, it's plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Taker is semi retired. But he's still $$$$$ to the WWE so as long as he wants to do it he will. He shouldn't retire til he see's fit but shouldn't head in to Flair/Funk territory. I think I read before there was a rumor he wanted Kane to be the man end the streak if it is to end.

He is the man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm not so sure taker will go for a match with Lesnar. Lesnar can get a bit rough and taker isn't held together as good as he used to be. If Lesnar gets annoyed during the match it could end badly for taker. At his age an injury could be the end for him. I reckon he'll go with the safe option of Cena or Rock, maybe Punk as an outside chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Has Cena ever had a TV/PPV match with Taker? I can't remember one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

They could have Lesnar completely go over Taker at Survivor Series - people questioning if the two WM bouts with HHH have made Taker too weak, should he retire etc. - Lesnar competes some more and wins, then around RR - bong.

WM match - Taker wins, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Has Cena ever had a TV/PPV match with Taker? I can't remember one.

Vengeance 03'

That was when The Undertaker was Big Evil or something, wasn't it, or was Cena the heel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Vengeance 03'

Awesome PPV by the way.

Advertisement