Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Have I Signed Up For...

• 02-08-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Not had a log on here in a couple of years.

This will probably be a log of rambling sporadic updates rather than daily updates with sessions and numbers etc..

Brief history... Just finished my 4th season of tri. Former proper fatty, currently working my way back there. 18.5 stone at my heaviest, 11.3 stone at my lightest and currently sitting at 12.5 stone.

Signed up to IM Lanza in May 2013, short term target is DCM in October... this will be first marathon. So my aims from now to December 31st are, 3.30 marathon and get my weight down to 11stone... simple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will shout abuse encouragement pacing you around the 3:30 in DCM:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great to see you back with a log. Really enjoyed your last one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now Mloc - i remember your last log which grew and grew in disgruntlement about your swimming times. Relax it will only be a few minutes either way on the swim!

Good luck iwith Lanazarote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

catweazle wrote: »
    Now Mloc - i remember your last log which grew and grew in disgruntlement about your swimming times. Relax it will only be a few minutes either way on the swim!

Good luck iwith Lanazarote

I am in a different place these days, I would like to think more upbeat and not half as negative as I once was about times and training.

A good mix is important, I think my last log was 2010.. and I had some decent enough short course times but by the time I reached July I had lost interest in it all and it took me months.. even a year to get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Good luck with Lanza, I've been there the last 3 years (on my holidays, by coincidence ;)) and the day of the race the temperature has always spiked up. You'll get some great support on the run and the T2 entry looks awesome with 2 km of people lined up 3/4 deep.

• Advertisement

d4r3n wrote: »
    Good luck with Lanza, I've been there the last 3 years (on my holidays, by coincidence ;)) and the day of the race the temperature has always spiked up. You'll get some great support on the run and the T2 entry looks awesome with 2 km of people lined up 3/4 deep.

Cheers. What is the temperature like? Checking last night the averages for may are 20-25c which would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

mloc123 wrote: »
    Cheers. What is the temperature like? Checking last night the averages for may are 20-25c which would be fine.

You'll be looking at 30/31 on the day, mid to late May in Lanzarote is when the temperature rises and it's hot, there was a heatwave in the Canaries this May and pretty sure some hikers died when it was in the 40s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good Man and well done in Antwerp by the way. Best of luck on this journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

d4r3n wrote: »
    You'll be looking at 30/31 on the day, mid to late May in Lanzarote is when the temperature rises and it's hot, there was a heatwave in the Canaries this May and pretty sure some hikers died when it was in the 40s

I've been there in April the last 2 years and I definitely reckon it will be 28-32 on race day. For some reason Lanza seems to report lower temps than the actuals. Either that or the resort ones in PdC are way off. There'll be a nice breeze on the run though. The swim will be lovely as the water is nice and cool that time of year. The bike route, what I've cycled of it is awesome. Great surfaces and amazing sceneray. A few nice hills and some wind too. ;)

Best of luck with DCM and Lanza.

Slow getting back to it this week. My wake up call was yesterday, I had a longish run planned with some marathon pace in the middle. Ran with a friend but after 9km I told him to head on as I was seizing up. I plodded on for a km or two and he rejoined me for the last 3km back.

I woke up this morning and feel like I have been hit by a car. Swim session with Mr Tango tonight and I am going to be destroyed by everyone else. Two weeks off, that's all it takes to leave you back at square one.... better now in August than October like last year.

• Advertisement

Nah i am fooked as well so we can both laugh at each other later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

You'll be alright lads, I'll make you both look good :)

Swim session wasn't as bad as I had expected. I almost enjoyed it, more so than the last 2-3 months before Antwerp anyway. 400m TT and I came in on 7.52, not terrible considering I was 3 weeks out of the water.

Swim wise I am hoping to get a few extra lunch sessions in going forward.

Today was the only session I would consider semi decent. Got 3.5 hours around Wicklow in With Tango and another clubmate. Decent enough spin, I was lagging in the last hour.

Run wise, I can't manage 30mins easy these days. Its gonna take a while to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Lanzarote is awesome. I would have nearly gone back if it not for wanting to try different race.
    Let me know if you need advise or help with accommodation.
    Enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Definitely take any tips going!! (I'm going to IM Lanza also)

A1dpGHGCMAAx_xZ.jpg

This sums up my last week or so of training

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Its a step up from crunchies as energy food!

A1dpGHGCMAAx_xZ.jpg

This sums up my last week or so of training

Bit early to be practicing race day nutrition for Lanza.

Today was my first run in a long time. It went better than expected.

• Advertisement

This was a short lived log and can be closed off now.

I am finished with tri for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Aw.. S'up dude? Everything ok?

Aw.. S'up dude? Everything ok?

All well, have just lost any love or interest I once had in tri.

Gonna run for a year or so and see how I feel after that. Won't sell on my gear just yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement