Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance Service Cuts.

Options
  • 02-08-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Clondalkin,Tallaght,Lucan,Rathcoole and Newcastle will be covered by one 999 Ambulance from 7am-7pm on Mondays according to the front page of this weeks Echo.

The HSE are cutting an Ambulance shift from it's base in Tallaght in order to save money,leaving only one Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulance,based in Belgard Fire Station in Tallaght,to respond to all 999 calls in the area.

This is absolutely crazy,considering the size of population of the area that one Ambulance is expected to cover for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely that can't be right? Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght alone would be nearly 200,000 people - more than Cork city, Irelands second largest city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

According to The Echo it is,I suppose the two fire tenders at Belgard are all staffed by paramedic trained firefighters too,but to have only one ambulance is ridiculous and asking for trouble in the case of a major incident.

http://www.echo.ie/p_32/News_Article/a_317/Alarm_at_HSE_ambulance_cut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

just cant believe thats true. will have to do some digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I thought Lucan was covered by ambulance from Blanchardstown as our hospital is Connolly .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

westdub wrote: »
    I thought Lucan was covered by ambulance from Blanchardstown as our hospital is Connolly .....

I've been brought to Tallaght by ambulance twice from Lucan.

(I would avoid both Blanch and Tallaght if I was choosing where to go myself though!)

I find it very hard to believe that such a large population could be covered by only one ambulance - pretty shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

There's still cover provided by ambulances in different Dfb stations, eg dolphins barn, nutgrove, blanchardstown or further afield if needed and there's also another hse ambulance base in st James hospital that would cover the area.

Having said that ask any ff/paramedic in Dublin and they'll tell you the service is already stretched as it is and if anything either station in tallaght could do with an additional ambulance full time instead if having their hours cut.

Advertisement