Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadkill.

• 02-08-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭

Too bad taste for Motors, ahem. Sounds perfect for AH! Personally, I hate hitting living things when driving, guilts me out tbh(for a short while admittedly). Whatt'd ye hit, see get hit, was it messy, were you shocked/guilty, did you recover. SIL hit a deer once, it fecked up his pride and joy and he was deeply moved, mainly by the repair bill. Ever run anything over? Ever been run over?(I have, it hurts- face was torn off quite nicely, 3 weeks in hospital, but I was young and stuff heals) Got any stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Only ever hit 2 birds. One was my friends dad and the other was my sister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pottler wrote: »
    face was torn off quite nicely,

Torn off? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hit a goose on the M50 once. Last thing I expected to see waddling across the middle lane.

Most important thing to remember in that situation is not to swerve: I'd rather kill an animal than smash into another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there was a huge rat dead on the road in fernhill, arklow today. i cant wait to move home from this kip in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Thank god no. I'd hate it tbh.
    I came very close to hitting a deer a few years ago. I still don't know how I managed to avoid it.
    Will insurance cover you if you hit a deer or wild animal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

there was a huge rat dead on the road in fernhill, arklow today. i cant wait to move home from this kip in a couple of weeks

There are rats there too.
    Trust me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rrrrrrroadkill.

RRRROADKILL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Pretty sure I've swallowed a few flies while cycling. Does that count?

Slightly OT:

Today I rescued a kitten from near certain death on the side of a busy main road. I even managed to find the little git a home already. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

A couple of year ago there was a serious number of badgers dead on the road. I means loads! Council would clean em up then, the next day, same amount dead on the road again!

I hit a badger on a back road once. I swerved thinking I might miss it and ended up killing its baby too. I cried :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The van in front of me hit a cat last week. The poor thing was on the side of the road, it looked like the van driver took aim at it, which pissed me off. I've never hit anything luckily although I almost ran a badger down on a country road at night. I spotted the lad in time and we had a good look at each other before he hopped in the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yup, stepped out in front of a Ford cortina that was doing 65 on a dual carriageway(I was 9 and lollipop lady took a sikkie:eek:ooohh the claim I'd have now.....), I just never looked, was so used to crossing with the school lollipop bint, anyway, got thrown 25m and hit a wall face first, tore off my face basically. Hospital sewed it back on and it took, so I'm still a handsome blade tbtG. Spent a long time being told"don't scratch the scabs, ignore the itch!" Yeah right, scratch scratch. Never broke a bone, mainly because(here's the medical bit),- "I never saw the car, so I didn't tense up", or some shoite like that. Steeped tbh.

This reminded me of the time I was going to lunch with a friend of mine. I got to his house and there was a dead fox on the road. Off we went out for lunch, we were pulling back into his driveway and there was the dead dog in his plants!! Someone had just taken it off the road and thrown it over his hedge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

bird flew into the car once, was doing 60 at the time too.

Had to stop to see if the grill and wing mirror was damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

A sparrow hit our school tour bus and it got lodged in the rubber rim around the door.
    We all heard the tiny thud, and the bus driver shrugged his shoulders, but when we got off the bus it was sort of caked, dead, into one of the rims.
    Really left an impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

I got 2 pheasants and a hare at different times. All left a horrible mess of feathers and fluff. Traffic was too close to stop and check if there was anything left for cooking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

syndeyfife wrote: »
    This reminded me of the time I was going to lunch with a friend of mine. I got to his house and there was a dead fox on the road. Off we went out for lunch, we were pulling back into his driveway and there was the dead dog in his plants!! Someone had just taken it off the road and thrown it over his hedge!!!

That would be the council giving it 110%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bird flew into the car once, was doing 60 at the time too.

Had to stop to see if the grill and wing mirror was damaged.

happened a few weeks ago on the n11. my father in law was doing about 120 at the time. i looked back and all i saw was a cloud of feathers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

OK rough story, so dont read if you like animals.

Note: I actually like animals a lot (especially ducks) and so I feel particularly bad about this.

Anyway I was calling out to my mate's house and slowed down when i saw traffic on the other side of the road stopping and building up in a tailback. I didn't know why so I kept driving at a slower speed.

Then I noticed a mammy duck and a line of baby ducks behind her crossing the road. The splitter under my bumper took down the mammy and the front tyre crushed a few of the babies. I felt the crunch through the steering column and the flapping of feathers as I passed over the mammy duck, which i saw in my rear view mirror was still alive albiet paralysed as she was flapping on the road with the baby ducks unable to get up. The babies were milling around her and their crushed siblings, they didn't know what to do (they're ducks, remember).

I was going to get out and finish off the mother duck with my boot when I notice that a group of about 4 children and a couple of adults who had been watching the duck cross the road had witnessed the gruesome and macabre scene unfold and now were in a state of shock and distress. The kids were crying and stuff. So I elected to drop a cog and high-tail it out of there.

Like I said, i like animals and feel bad about this so lay off alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Shryke wrote: »
    The van in front of me hit a cat last week. The poor thing was on the side of the road, it looked like the van driver took aim at it, which pissed me off. I've never hit anything luckily although I almost ran a badger down on a country road at night. I spotted the lad in time and we had a good look at each other before he hopped in the ditch.
    Stupid prick if he did aim for it.
    Again a few years ago I narrowly avoided hitting a badger on the way to the pub. When I got there I got savaged, by a farmer, that I didn't hit it. The same lad had gone down with tb that day & was out drowning his sorrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I drove into a flying bird the other day, or he flew into my car, depending on how you look at it.

Took me ages to get it out of the grille. I tried wedging it out with a stick, but it wouldn't budge. Next I tried a pliers, but that only succeeded in pulling it's head off, so I ended up shoving it out from the engine side with a long chisel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i hit a cow once... she moaned and moo'd till she fell outta her disability chair.

Sky King wrote: »
    OK rough story, so dont read if you like animals.

Note: I actually like animals a lot (especially ducks) and so I feel particularly bad about this.

Anyway I was calling out to my mate's house and slowed down when i saw traffic on the other side of the road stopping and building up in a tailback. I didn't know why so I kept driving at a slower speed.

Then I noticed a mammy duck and a line of baby ducks behind her crossing the road. The splitter under my bumper took down the mammy and the front tyre crushed a few of the babies. I felt the crunch through the steering column and the flapping of feathers as I passed over the mammy duck, which i saw in my rear view mirror was still alive albiet paralysed as she was flapping on the road with the baby ducks unable to get up. The babies were milling around her and their crushed siblings, they didn't know what to do (they're ducks, remember).

I was going to get out and finish off the mother duck with my boot when I notice that a group of about 4 children and a couple of adults who had been watching the duck cross the road had witnessed the gruesome and macabre scene unfold and now were in a state of shock and distress. The kids were crying and stuff. So I elected to drop a cog and high-tail it out of there.

Like I said, i like animals and feel bad about this so lay off alright!
    there is, apparently, according to my mate Dave, who knows everything(theres always one apparently), a law in Ireland that webbed footed animals have the right of way and it's irregal to run them over. Apparently. You are now officially a self confessed fugitive from the law:D

That was a thumbs down Sky King !!!! (Except there was only a thumb up button)

Murderererererer !

I drove into a flying bird the other day, or he flew into my car, depending on how you look at it.

Took me ages to get it out of the grille. I tried wedging it out with a stick, but it wouldn't budge. Next I tried a pliers, but that only succeeded in pulling it's head off, so I ended up shoving it out from the engine side with a long chisel.
    :Dyou are a dirty chiseller. At least we know it wasn't a penguin.

Does anyone else think birds are kamikazi nutters in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

grindle wrote: »

On the rim?

Does anyone else think birds are kamikazi nutters in the morning?
    I hate hitting them when they are messing on the road - swooping and diving together and stuff, It just feels crap, like you ruined a great moment, or somthing.. On another note, a mates new driver hit a cow with a laden artic, lost it and ploughed into a bungalow, writing off the cow, the artic, the bungalow and himself. At least he got the full house, so's to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

there is, apparently, according to my mate Dave, who knows everything(theres always one apparently), a law in Ireland that webbed footed animals have the right of way and it's irregal to run them over. Apparently. You are now officially a self confessed fugitive from the law:D

All pedestrians have right of way, and that includes ducks. But the duck story is bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yup, stepped out in front of a Ford cortina that was doing 65 on a dual carriageway(I was 9 and lollipop lady took a sikkie:eek:ooohh the claim I'd have now.....), I just never looked, was so used to crossing with the school lollipop bint, anyway, got thrown 25m and hit a wall face first, tore off my face basically. Hospital sewed it back on and it took, so I'm still a handsome blade tbtG. Spent a long time being told"don't scratch the scabs, ignore the itch!" Yeah right, scratch scratch. Never broke a bone, mainly because(here's the medical bit),- "I never saw the car, so I didn't tense up", or some shoite like that. Steeped tbh.

Did you know most successful entrepreneurs had near death experiences? I believe it gives you a sense of invincibility. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never really hit anything, but last year I managed to hit about 3/4 pigeons within 2 weeks. They all seemed sick or suicidal or something.

It wasn't just when I was driving. Around this time, I noticed loads of pigeons flying into walls and trees and stuff. Maybe there was some pigeon form of myxomatosis around last August/September?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

But the duck story is bull.

It happend brah.

Did you know most successful entrepreneurs had near death experiences? I believe it gives you a sense of invincibility. :)
    Furniturely enough, I'm an entrepretneuriser, and I'm vaguely successful. I sadly don't feel that invincible, my knees hurt. On the plus side, yer mans ok on the duck front, as Dave is, apparently, according to the good folk of AH, full of shit, as is Starbelgrades radiator. I will get a chisel and give Dave a good poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Confab wrote: »
    grindle wrote: »

On the rim?
    Of course the rim.
    We were teenagers - only delighted to see a small dead frozen-bird corpse stuck to a bus!
    Would've been the most talked-about topic of the trip, if one of the lads didn't, earlier, get an erection.
    In the boys shower room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

took out a badger in an avensis once, he kamikazed his head out of the ditch and straight under the front wheel. Though I'd have trashed the car, but no damge. Delighted. sad face for mr. badger.
    Saw a Boomer (big red kangaroo about 6ft tall) get hit by a B-double (articulated truck and Dolly) hauling coal. Drive could do nothing, I was ploughing a field about 100m away, boomer hops across the field in front of me, over a 6 ft fence like it wasn't there and straight in front of the Kenworth. He got dragged about 50m under the truck and came rolling out under the wheels of the dolly. Mangled is not the word. I needed a drink after seeing that one. Roos are stoopid

took out a badger in an avensis once

Did you go anywhere nice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

nah, I went to work. Dropped him off in badger heaven on the way

Did you go anywhere nice?
    Nah, the badger insisted on going to some hole.

took out a badger in an avensis once, he kamikazed his head out of the ditch and straight under the front wheel. Though I'd have trashed the car, but no damge. Delighted. sad face for mr. badger.
    Saw a Boomer (big red kangaroo about 6ft tall) get hit by a B-double (articulated truck and Dolly) hauling coal. Drive could do nothing, I was ploughing a field about 100m away, boomer hops across the field in front of me, over a 6 ft fence like it wasn't there and straight in front of the Kenworth. He got dragged about 50m under the truck and came rolling out under the wheels of the dolly. Mangled is not the word. I needed a drink after seeing that one. Roos are stoopid

That post is cooler if you read it in Alf from Home & Away's voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yup alot of suicidal birds where I live . Thu go straight into the car. I ca was knocked over the other day.
    The worst one was when my dad was driving by the canal. I swan landed on our car and slid off the windscreen. It got stuck in the wheel of the car. It was winter so it was freezing l. Ended up dragging it down the road for a bitm. Got a lot of strange looks.

That post is cooler if you read it in Alf from Home & Away's voice.
    I read it in a Mick Dundee voice, it was bonzer.

• Advertisement

I read it in a Mick Dundee voice, it was bonzer.

I knew there was another famous Australian - I just couldn't think of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Yes unfortunately hit a large stag doing 70 mph:(

Luckily it was in a truck with a huge bull bar so I was ok. Can't say the same for the deer though it was like a scene from the Texas chain saw massacre it literally got cut to pieces..blood every where.

If it was a car I probably wouldn't be typing this:eek:

They had special whistles fitted that were supposed to help scare them, Didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Shryke wrote: »
    That would be the council giving it 110%.

Well they turned a fo into a dog, that is impressive

dirtyden wrote: »
    Well they turned a fo into a dog, that is impressive

Haha nice spot.....no it was still a fox!!! :p

Apparently(accoring to Mythbusters, jammie gits btw, what a way to make a living) hitting a biggie like a horse or a moose(not too many of them around Ireland though, apart from in Offaly-mooses,not horses) will really mess up your day - they tend to come in for a seat with you and having a horse sit on you at 100kph with a windscreen on its forehead has got to hurt. One lad who works for me(otherwise fairly normal) deliberatly swings out to hit dogs he sees on the road, which I reckon is totally cnutish. WTF is that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Never hit anything so far but came very close to hitting a deer and fox (not at the same time).

Feckin' deer in particular scared the crap out of me, driving along at 2am pitch dark and these glowing eyes appear in front of me. Thankfully I was just coming out of small town and doing less that 50km/h and thankfully deer had the sense to stop, missed him by about 2 inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

A crow or a jackdaw whichever,(it was black) ploughed into my windscreen one morning
    Left a right bloody mess. Big bang! Frightened the bejaysus outa me at the time. I was passing a graveyard at the time
    Thankfully I never killed an animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

One lad who works for me(otherwise fairly normal) deliberatly swings out to hit dogs he sees on the road, which I reckon is totally cnutish. WTF is that all about?

Clearly he's a pr1ck

Apparently(accoring to Mythbusters, jammie gits btw, what a way to make a living) hitting a biggie like a horse or a moose(not too many of them around Ireland though, apart from in Offaly-mooses,not horses) will really mess up your day - they tend to come in for a seat with you and having a horse sit on you at 100kph with a windscreen on its forehead has got to hurt. One lad who works for me(otherwise fairly normal) deliberatly swings out to hit dogs he sees on the road, which I reckon is totally cnutish. WTF is that all about?

Jesus thats ruff!

Uriel. wrote: »
    Never hit anything so far but came very close to hitting a deer and fox (not at the same time).

Feckin' deer in particular scared the crap out of me, driving along at 2am pitch dark and these glowing eyes appear in front of me. Thankfully I was just coming out of small town and doing less that 50km/h and thankfully deer had the sense to stop, missed him by about 2 inches.
    what was the deer driving? My guess is a Triumph Stag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement