Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Hurling Semi-Finals

Options
  • 02-08-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

12 August 2012
    Galway (1/2) v Cork (9/4)

19 August 2012
    Tipperary (13/8) v Kilkenny (4/6)

Just ten days before the first semi-final, and there are injury doubts over Cyril Donnellan for Galway, who chipped a bone in his arm. He would be a big loss, having scored consistently so far in the Championship (totalling 1-9, including 5 points against Kilkenny) so Galway will be hoping to have him fit. Setanta are today reporting that he is doing well and they are hopeful he will play.

In the other semi-final, Kilkenny will be forced into a change due to the suspension to Richie Hogan. TJ Reid will more than likely fill that void, and can do a more than adequate job there.

Pa Bourke seems to be in good form, having scored a ridiculous 6-3 in a club game for Thurles at the weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts or early predictions? Potential line-ups etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork v Galway - could go either way. Cork have had a few matches on the run, which beats training any day. They are improving but need to tighten up in defence and somehow get more ball to their full forward line - who will cause havoc if allowed.

Galway I think peaked against kk and won't play as well as that again this year. They should show signs of rustyness for a time on sunday week. They have the forwards to beat cork - no question, but a lot will depend on how they approach the game. Against kk they were 'up for it' like never before, I don't think they will bring the same intensity to the game.

Overall, it is a very hard game to call. Galway are rightly the favourites and should win by about 3pts, but I might put a sly bet on Cork as they could 'click' on the day.

kk will be gunning for tip and vice versa. Tip will feel they owe kk one for last years final and I think they could win this one by a few points. kk are used to performing non stop at a very high level, but this year is completely different. They don't look as confident and are relying on goals a bit too much. They scored about the same number of points as limerick the last day and if they don't get the goals against Tip they might suffer. If kk play as we know they can it would take a huge tip performance to stop them, but I reckon they will.

Tip and Cork to reach the final at 11/2 - it could happen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    12 August 2012
    Galway (1/2) v Cork (9/4)

19 August 2012
    Tipperary (13/8) v Kilkenny (4/6)

Just ten days before the first semi-final, and there are injury doubts over Cyril Donnellan for Galway, who chipped a bone in his arm. He would be a big loss, having scored consistently so far in the Championship (totalling 1-9, including 5 points against Kilkenny) so Galway will be hoping to have him fit. Setanta are today reporting that he is doing well and they are hopeful he will play.

In the other semi-final, Kilkenny will be forced into a change due to the suspension to Richie Hogan. TJ Reid will more than likely fill that void, and can do a more than adequate job there.

Pa Bourke seems to be in good form, having scored a ridiculous 6-3 in a club game for Thurles at the weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts or early predictions? Potential line-ups etc?

Cork v Galway: Cork
    Just think as Shamo said Galway have peaked already. And going on history they usually have one big game a year and I do think that was against Kilkenny. Maybe a bit of complacency will set in as well after that performance? Cork have been motoring along pretty nicely throughout the year, and even though they lost to Tipp it very easily could've went the other way and they put in a very fine performance. They have some very nice forwards who could cause a lot of damage against a Galway backline, that despite one very good performance against Kilkenny which still leaked 2 goals, have conceded some high scores from poor Offaly and Westmeath teams. Cork will have to become tighter at the back though.

At 8/1 I'd nearly even throw a sneaky €5 on em for the AI.

Kilkenny v Tipp: Kilkenny Warning I'm a Kilkenny man so may contain bias!
    I think Kilkenny's extra game against Limerick will benefit the players they have coming back from injury like Fennelly, Rice and JJ. It allowed them to shake off any rustiness they had and get back into the swing of things. I think they'll love the fact that they have something bigger to prove after their loss against Galway. Kilkenny aren't the same team they were a few years ago that would demolish a team from start to finish. Now they seem to break even and then have maybe a 10-15 minute period where they'll dominate and do the damage, so thats why its imperative they don't let Tipp get a good start on them.
    For me Tipp just aren't the same team as they were under Sheedy, I think they're just not operating at the same intensity, so thats why I think Kilkenny to win by approx. 3 in an extremely close game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

KK team should be fairly predictable barring anymore injuries.
    1. D. Herity 2. P. Murphy 3. JJ Delaney 4. J Tyrell 5. T Walsh 6. B Hogan 7. R Doyle 8. M Fennelly 9. M Rice 10. TJ Reid 11. R Power 12. H Shefflin 13. C Fennely 14. E Larkin 15. A Fogarty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think both games are too close to call at this stage.

Great to look forward to, it's been 2 many years since we've had 2 such intriguing semi finals.

By the way I wouldn't be surprised to see Cillian Buckley start for Kilkenny.

Hogan will return at centre back and richie power should be ok too. Really looking forward to these.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think both games are too close to call at this stage.

Great to look forward to, it's been 2 many years since we've had 2 such intriguing semi finals.

By the way I wouldn't be surprised to see Cillian Buckley start for Kilkenny.

Hogan will return at centre back and richie power should be ok too. Really looking forward to these.

Who would you drop for Buckley? I think he is probably the best prospect KK have at the moment, but I would fear that he wouldn't be able to have a big enough impact in the Tipp game in order to justify a starting position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

I think it will be a Tipp and Galway final

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who would you drop for Buckley? I think he is probably the best prospect KK have at the moment, but I would fear that he wouldn't be able to have a big enough impact in the Tipp game in order to justify a starting position.

I don't think TJ Reid or Fogarty are necessarily automatic starters, Could see FF line of shefflin,larkin, Fennelly with maybe Buckley at HF with Power and Reid.

You could also have Rice in HF and Buckley in mid field. Though the most likely scenario is he starts on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Back to the good ol days for me , I'm going for a

CORK - KILKENNY FINAL

Corcaigh Abuuuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

shaneb92 wrote: »
    I think it will be a Tipp and Galway final

That would be interesting, a repeat of 2001. A game Galway probably should have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Galway, on the basis of the KK match, should win this game with a bit to spare. But how many times have we seen them produce a very good performance (01 and 05 semi's spring to mind) and then flop the next day out. The one thing that might actually have been in their favour is that the KK match was, essentially, and AI 1/4 final. They will have to peak again for the semi (they are unusually good in semi's, once they get there). What Galway team shows up on the 12th is anyone's guess. I think whoever wins this match will go into the AI final as rank underdogs (Galway moreso than Cork), which would suit either team down to the ground.

KK vs Tipp is imo the AI final in all but name. Even though people seem to be saying "KK are back", I was not that impressed with them against Limerick. Aside from some kamikaze defending by Limericks full back line in the second half (and some of the first), KK would have been neck and neck with the treatymen. Galway have shown (abe it by design or dumb luck) that pace hurts KK badly. Aslo going for goal and getting it so early on forces KK to play higher up the pitch, which in turn, limits the extra protection KK's full-back line gets. If Tipp can hit them early, then they will win. If not, KK will grind it out till the second half and end up winning by 3 or so points. Its almost unheard of to beat KK by coming from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Kojak wrote: »
    KK vs Tipp is imo the AI final in all but name. Even though people seem to be saying "KK are back", I was not that impressed with them against Limerick. Aside from some kamikaze defending by Limericks full back line in the second half (and some of the first), KK would have been neck and neck with the treatymen.

If we're to use Limerick as a barometer, as they're the only side to have faced both so far, then its worth noting that Limerick were beating Tipp by 7 points when their kamikaze defending, their fitness and the introduction of a straight running Bonnar Maher, cost them.

Limerick gave both sides a serious test. But ultimately both sides showed their class against them in the second half of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Looking forward to next weekend's game, Cork by a whisker for me.

The week after will produce the clash of the heavyweights. I hope to jaysus that Tipp beat those cats out the gate and assert our true claim to be the home of hurling for once and for all. ;)

I fancy a final with the oul Corkonian enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I guess there is an angle for intrigue no matter who's in it.

A Tipp v Galway final, repeat of 2001 and the last time they met there was only a point in it.

A Tipp v Cork final, age old rivalry, the first all-ireland of it's kind.

A Kilkenny V Cork final, the two big teams over the last decade and indeed in the history of hurling renewing acquaintances.

And A Kilkenny v Galway final to see can Galway do a double over Kilkenny this year, and live up to the hype they've had for so long, or can Kilkenny put down another marker to perhaps prove they are the greatest team of all-time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I guess there is an angle for intrigue no matter who's in it.

A Tipp v Galway final, repeat of 2001 and the last time they met there was only a point in it.

A Tipp v Cork final, age old rivalry, the first all-ireland of it's kind.

A Kilkenny V Cork final, the two big teams over the last decade and indeed in the history of hurling renewing acquaintances.

And A Kilkenny v Galway final to see can Galway do a double over Kilkenny this year, and live up to the hype they've had for so long, or can Kilkenny put down another marker to perhaps prove they are the greatest team of all-time?

They are no matter what happens now. Very hard to see a team like them ever emerging again.

Cork V Galway. Galway are better on paper but no games are won that way, so hope Cork can put in a performance and win against all odds. Hard to see though but Cork wont fear Galway.

Tipp V Kilkenny. Hard to know but I reckon Kilkenny will narrowly win this one by 2-3 pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

teednab-el wrote: »
    They are no matter what happens now. Very hard to see a team like them ever emerging again.

I agree, I don't think they need to win another title to prove they're the best that's ever been. All another title will do is just enhance them.

Agree as well with that it will be a while before we see their likes again. So many counties are catching up to Kilkenny and Kilkenny have fallen back a bit that the gap is closing all the time. And with so many counties with good emerging talents its hard to see where one county is ever going to dominate the way Kilkenny have done, and that can only be great for hurling.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Cork V Galway. Galway are better on paper but no games are won that way, so hope Cork can put in a performance and win against all odds. Hard to see though but Cork wont fear Galway.

On the flip side, galway won't fear Cork either. In semi-finals, Galway have as good a record against Cork as Cork do against Galway. If this was the AI final, I would put Cork as very strong favourites - like Waterford (in any championship game) Galway can't seem to beat the rebels in the final.

IMO whichever team wins on Sunday (you'd say it should be Galway, but they have a notorious habit of blowing it when they are percieved as favourites) would want to be winning this game by 8+ points to put up a show against Tipp or KK in the final. Remember one of these teams (Cork or Galway) will be new to AI finals - Cork with a few lads who played in 06, Galway with a few from 05. The added distractions (interviews with the press, open training evenings etc.) will all be reletavily new to them. It won't be to tipp/kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I wrote up a short preview of all 4 remaining teams. Will have a more in depth preview of Tipp v KK next week some time

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/hurling-semi-finalists-preview/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I'd argue that Galway are a different animal completely this year. They're no longer just relying on natural hurlers to see them through, they now have serious physical work done. Invariably they came unstuck in the past because when they weren't allowed to play their game they had nothing to fall back on. They now have lads who are flying fit and plenty of lads with heavy shoulders who aren't afraid to use them. To see the shape the likes of Joe Canning and Iarla Tannion are in compared to last year is testament to the work they've put in.

Cork will be no pushover, they'll be well up for it, but i feel if Galway's forwards click, their pace and movement could be way too much for Cork,particularly for the likes of O'hAilpín, were Galway to station Donnellan or David Burke on him.

My only concern for Galway is that the Kilkenny game was never really in the melting pot because we always had them at arms length. If the semi is within a couple of points and nip and tuck in the last 10, Cork would have to be fancied given how they pulled it out of the fire v Waterford and are used to the tight games in the Munster championship.

Still keep coming back to Galway. Their physicality is at a new level now, they have some seriously powerful operators like Andy Smith, Tannion, Conor Cooney, Niall Burke, Niall Donoghue Canning and Donnellan, and I'll have a few quid on Galway to cover the -2 handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone know what sort of crowds are expected at these games?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

THFC wrote: »

Loud, boisterous, passionate ones. :D

I'd say anywhere from 35k to 55k.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »

I'd like to think/hope about 50,000 - 60,000.

Wouldn't say so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wouldn't say so

Certainly can't see them hitting 60,000. Not at 40 quid a ticket.

If they get above 40,000, the GAA will be doing well...

^^^^^
    I'm hoping lads, I'm hoping :-)

I think Galway and Cork is a very intriguing encounter.

It will be interesting to see how Galway handle the 5 weeks break. It's a new thing for them, and they have to deal with meeting people in shops telling them how great they are and that this could be there year. They've a very good manager, no doubt, but it's a hard situation to deal with.

Semi Finals are always tricky to negotiate. You cant motivate yourself to the same extent that you would for a Leinster final, or an all-ireland quarter say for Galway maybe because they've lost so many they really would have wanted to get their.

I think it's hard to see Galway putting in the performance v Kilkenny again this year. I think Cork will push them hard, and it's not known yet can Galway win a tight game, they haven't been doing it in recent years. That said, Galway have the superior team and I think they will just about prevail. I hope they do, would be good to see them in a final.

As for the other game, well I have to go with Kilkenny on this one. They're not without their questions about a few areas in the backline and the lack of form of Power and Larkin in the 2 championship games. They will need to address that. They have the better midfield I think, best in the Country. Shane McGrath is not playing well in my opinion, and while Brendan Maher is he's not playing as well as 2010. Tipp's full backline looked good against Waterford, but they had plenty of issues against Cork. I think Kilkenny's goalscoring potential is just awesome. Anyone of their forwards can finish a chance.

Tipp will need Lar Corbett back in the full forward line and firing on all cylinders again because they really lack the same potency without him. Noel McGrath will probably play centre forward, I think it suits him better. One of Buggy O Meara and John O Brien will at least have to have a good game. Would go for Kilkenny in another tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Here's the way I see it going:

Cork vs Galway: CORK

Galway were immense against Kilkenny but one swallow doesn't make a Summer. Galway will win nothing with James Skehill in goal in my opinion. He's a too liable to make a mistake in big games. (Possibly a bit harsh on him as he's a good keeper but he's the weakest of the top 5/6 teams keepers). Cork are still in a period of transition at the moment but I've a feeling they will sneak this by 3 or 4 points.

Tipperary vs Kilkenny: TIPPERARY
    Over the past 10 years it's being said that Kilkenny's toughest match each year is against their own second string in training. Whatever truth was in that previously certainly ain't in it now. There's nothing between the first 15 of Tipp and Kilkenny but Tipperary have a stronger bench to pick from and for this reason I think they'll win by 5 or 6. Corbett should now be reaching peak fitness, Noel McGrath is back showing a bit of form, Pa Bourke has something to prove, and add the disappointment of last September and I can see nothing only a Tipp win. The only concern I have is the right hand side of the Tipp defence. Shefflin usually starts on whoever Cody thinks is the weakest of the opposition backs so I've a feeling he'll be put on Foxy O' Brien or Tom Stapleton. If either of them can keep him quiet/stop him dictating the play and Bonner Maher does a job on Tommy Walsh, Kilkenny will struggle. I'm hoping it'll be a repeat of 2002 (only the opposite way round). KK lose their province to an unfancied side (Waterford blew Tipp out of the water in 2002) and then in the Semi KK annihilated Tipp in the second half (hopefully Tipp do the same to the Cats next week).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

On all known form Galway should beat Cork and beat them easily. From a Cork perspective Galway must play poorly and Cork play way above themselves. If Galway play an anywhere near the same intensity/physicality of the KK game they'll win big. Cork are lacking ball winning power in the midfield/halfforwards and won't be able to get enough ball into the fullforward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

On all known form Galway should beat Cork and beat them easily. From a Cork perspective Galway must play poorly and Cork play way above themselves. If Galway play an anywhere near the same intensity/physicality of the KK game they'll win big. Cork are lacking ball winning power in the midfield/halfforwards and won't be able to get enough ball into the fullforward line.

That's an almighty big if though. To be honest I don't think Galway will need to play as well as against Kilkenny, that was the performance of a lifetime. But Galway will need to bring their A game as I feel people are underestimating Cork.

JBM is talking Galway up and playing the usual mind games but I reckon secretly Cork will fancy this one big time. They know Galway are always beatable in these sort of games. This is set up very nicely for Cork but I do think if Galway's forwards keep up their good form we should get enough scores on the board win it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

looder wrote: »
    Here's the way I see it going:

Cork vs Galway: CORK

Galway were immense against Kilkenny but one swallow doesn't make a Summer. Galway will win nothing with James Skehill in goal in my opinion. He's a too liable to make a mistake in big games. (Possibly a bit harsh on him as he's a good keeper but he's the weakest of the top 5/6 teams keepers). Cork are still in a period of transition at the moment but I've a feeling they will sneak this by 3 or 4 points.

Tipperary vs Kilkenny: TIPPERARY
    Over the past 10 years it's being said that Kilkenny's toughest match each year is against their own second string in training. Whatever truth was in that previously certainly ain't in it now. There's nothing between the first 15 of Tipp and Kilkenny but Tipperary have a stronger bench to pick from and for this reason I think they'll win by 5 or 6. Corbett should now be reaching peak fitness, Noel McGrath is back showing a bit of form, Pa Bourke has something to prove, and add the disappointment of last September and I can see nothing only a Tipp win. The only concern I have is the right hand side of the Tipp defence. Shefflin usually starts on whoever Cody thinks is the weakest of the opposition backs so I've a feeling he'll be put on Foxy O' Brien or Tom Stapleton. If either of them can keep him quiet/stop him dictating the play and Bonner Maher does a job on Tommy Walsh, Kilkenny will struggle. I'm hoping it'll be a repeat of 2002 (only the opposite way round). KK lose their province to an unfancied side (Waterford blew Tipp out of the water in 2002) and then in the Semi KK annihilated Tipp in the second half (hopefully Tipp do the same to the Cats next week).

for what its worth - Cork v Galway - CORK win - people are hyping up this Galway team despite only one impressive victory in 2012 - a big scalp but only one. Look at what Westmeath scored against them in championship and as for the league................ Still a serious over-reliance on one player. Rumour has it that they're being smug on the banks of the Corrib, that's not good and rubs off on players.

Cork built nicely through league and took a beating in final . JBM wont have minded that and will feel that they're on a march to September, I wouldnt disagree, they're building a nice team and waiting for the tribesmen in the long grass. Cant understand Ó hAlpin coming back into team , he adds little and was fairly absent in Munster this year.

Kilkenny v Tipperary - almost too close to call but will give KK benefit of one point victory. KK are sore over Leinster ambush and people have written them off once to often. Limerick match was proverbial game of 2 halves and expect to see many more changes before semi. Cody tends to pick players on basis of training and very active club scene. There may also be a few injuries between now and then. Those who predicted a KK victory based on 2012 performances will have ignored Dublin putting 6 goals past them in the league but still losing. Tipp not doing a lot wrong but Corbett has yet to fire on all cylinders - without that , its going Noreside.

Tight but KK by a point or 2 with both teams to finish with 14.....If Tipp win, Rebels to win a munster showdown in September

Advertisement