Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottoiler..Do you have one?

• 02-08-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on here have a scottoiler fitted (Or Similar) or thinking of getting one? Do you rate them or would you rather lube the chain yourself?

Do you have a scottoiler? 43 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    34% 15 votes
    Yes, but took it off - too much hassle!
    48% 21 votes
    Dont have one but meaning to get one.
    4% 2 votes
    HATE THEM!!!!
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

No, I don't have one, but with the commuting and mileage I do, I reckon it'd be a good investment. I reckon in time, when I have a few quid, I'll get one. Are they handy enough to throw on yourself like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Installed them on all my bikes with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Me too, wouldn't be without one. With the touring resevoir it's pretty much fit and forget.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Having terrible trouble with the nibs TBH....the unit itself when it works is brilliant. I opted for the dual injector which I think needs work on the design, its not wide enough or long enough....

I have lost so many nibs since I got it but last week on the way back from Armoy I lost the nib and the rubber gromit that holds it on so one side of the injector is useless now until I get more rubbers which will take a while. I have had them long, short angles all different ways and still lose them.

Any suggestions....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Hey lads whats the average cost of this unit , and as the lads said how are they to fit and does the fitting differ from bike to bike ...probably stupid questions but ones i dont know the answer to lol cheers fellas

• Advertisement

The only difference really is the way the swing arm is on the bike. If you have a single sided swingarm you might need an adaptor (which is free from the website) but mounting and fitting the kit is fairly straight forward.

Dont get me wrong but it can be difficult to get the flow rate right, but once you do its fine. But them nibs are a bastard to sort....you get plenty of them in the box but not the rubber that holds them flush to the injector as I said.

The unit is €99 for the eSystem and the Dual injector is €25 sold seperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Fúckn hate them...clean chain every week & lube with chain wax...simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Where is the 'shaft drive' option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There's more chainlube systems on the market than just Scottoiler, Tutoro. Loobman. CLS200 etc etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course with the Tutoro actually a brilliant one BUT you have to make sure you remember to TURN IT OFF when not riding. I for one would deffo forget that all the time. Kinda like heated grips not wired up to the ignition......DEAD BATTERY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Had one on my first bike (marauder). Virago was shaft drive so no need, thinking about one for the F650gs. Never had any problem with the one on the marauder.

Think the dual injector is a gimmick, Scottoiler never bothered with it for years until a rival manufacturer brought out a dual injector.
    The oil only needs to go in on one side. Single sided Scottoilers have been around for a long time, work well, and give little trouble. It's a lot easier to set up the single sided injector.

Scrap the cap!

I am inclined to agree with you....so whats the story with the single just keep running the tube along the swingarm instead of shorter for the dual and bend it down to the sprocket at the 7/8 o clock position.....might be able to do that tomorrow with the one remaining rubber gromit I have.

Just got an email from the tech support which I have to say is 2nd to none. The chap said that the dual injector was/is meant to be drilled into place on the swingarm and mounted horizontally as opposed to the 7/8 o clock position as its getting oiled from both sides it does not need the centrifugal force to bring it across like the single sided injector....and he is sending me out replacement nibs and rubbers FOC!

10/10 for customer service.

mongdesade wrote: »
    Fúckn hate them...clean chain every week & lube with chain wax...simples ;)

~Yeah but I have not had to adjust my chain or sprocket since I got the bike 12mths ago, and only cleaned and oiled the chain once (had the back wheel off changing the pads so I said my not) so it is worth it when its set up right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Personally I reckon Scottoilers are overpriced and a Loobman or similar setup is perfect.

In principle though, they rock.
    Make a machine (however rudimentary) do the work.

Has to be better than the alternative (clean and oil manually or forget and wear chain and sprockets).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I have to say id rather do the manual work cleaning and oiling the chain ...so i think ill give them a miss and just get to know my bike ....now how do i tellmy missus shes kicked to the spare room...lol:D

If you out on the bike constantly it is a pain in the arse to clean and lube a chain PROPERLY, not just a wipe of a cloth and a bit of oil. You really need to use a good cleaner and bring the chain back to new (dry) as much as possible and then depending on the grit/grease build up get a brush on it....then lube it. Alot of work there, and time consuming especially if you dont have the time. Maybe only an intense clean every other week but I cant go back to that after having the chain oiler.

Especially when all it costs after the initial purchase is a bottle of oil for €9.99 every 6mths or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Especially when all it costs after the initial purchase is a bottle of oil for €9.99 every 6mths or so.
    Just use ATF fluid, its the same stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Ha....lovely stuff. Would be handy to have it automatic but still it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have one on me Deauville - they're a great yoke. :P :P :P

Well finally got time to fit the dual injector the way its meant to be fitted, unlike the single injector. So drilled the swingarm and mounted it with two bolts horizontally and got 2 new nibs (free from scottoiler tech support) and its alot better TBH.

Going for a big spin tomorrow so hopefully all is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think I need one of these. I am adjusting my chain every 1.5 weeks. At this rate I will only get half a year out of my chain.

How easy are they to fit?

Anyone know if these are any good and easy to fit? http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

The Scottoiler seems kinda expensive compared to them ^^

As long as the scottoiler is fitted and adjusted correctly they are very good. I have not had to adjust my chain or sprocket since the day I got my bike 13mths ago. There are cheaper out there like the tuturo (which is a very good system but its manual as in you have to turn it on and off yourself)

I dont think the scottoiler is dear for what you get, and the single side injector system is easy enough to fit depending on the bike (single sided swing arm bikes are harder to fit)

And I have to say the tech support and customer service is the best I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well finally got time to fit the dual injector the way its meant to be fitted, unlike the single injector. So drilled the swingarm and mounted it with two bolts horizontally and got 2 new nibs (free from scottoiler tech support) and its alot better TBH.

Going for a big spin tomorrow so hopefully all is well.

Personally, I would never drill a swingarm. It's your bike and your call, but IMHO, you are inviting a possible catastrophic structural failure. :confused:

YCHGTBOY wrote: »
    catastrophic structural failure. :confused:

SERIOUSLY...with 2x2mm drill hole.....I doubt it mate. Plus the fact the swingarm is about 4-5mm think on the bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

yeah no way I'd drill a swing arm, cable tie / adhere that sh1t on

• Advertisement

Put it this way. I'd never buy a bike with a hole drilled in the frame or swingarm that the manufacturer didn't put there.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement