Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottoiler..Do you have one?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I have cable tie's on mine and it hasn't budget at all, I lost one of the nibs on the dual injector when a tire was being fitted and it was the only time I had to readjusted since putting it in over a year ago. I still try to clean (needs very little cleaning usually) the chain and lube it by hand (with scottoil) weekly just to check it out to make sure all is ok. I'm happy with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Would this have any effect on an insurance claim? You've modified the frame of your bike. I know bike insurance companies aren't all there in the head when it comes to bikes so most wouldn't have a clue but you could come across a knowledgeable insurance company rep. Not saying you would have no claim but it may have an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ninja900 wrote: »
    Put it this way. I'd never buy a bike with a hole drilled in the frame or swingarm that the manufacturer didn't put there.

Taken directly from the scottoiler website from Technical Support.......

Drilling/tapping the swingarm is fine. We've had professional engineers look at it and they said as long as you don't drill close to welds then there's no problem. The swingarm is quite thick walled and can easily stand two tiny 3mm holes being drilled in it without creating a stress point that'll give problems. Look elsewhere on the swingarm and you'll find loads of holes pre-drilled in it.

Hundreds of people, with all different makes and models mount the DUAL INJECTOR this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Running a dual injector SO on my fzs.

Didnt drill the swing arm, cables tied it on tidy like :)

There's also plenty of websites that say not to drill into your swingarm (a quick google will show up plenty of results). To me it's just common sense not to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

kaimera wrote: »
    Running a dual injector SO on my fzs.

Didnt drill the swing arm, cables tied it on tidy like :)

I ran heavy duty cable ties for 6mths, and in very heavy rain for sustained periods I was losing the nibs left right and centre. It was getting to the stage every trip up north for a road race in very bad weather with a constant high speed it was playing havok with the system.

Regardless of drilling or not :rolleyes:, make sure the injector is horizontal not mounted in the 7-8 o clock position (the way the single injector is meant to be mounted) its not as effective as horizontal. And you can email scottoiler to confirm.

Did you consider that it might have been a problem with the way you had it installed? Anyone I know with a scottoiler has it cable tied on in some fashion and doesn't have the problem you have described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think I need one of these. I am adjusting my chain every 1.5 weeks. At this rate I will only get half a year out of my chain.

How easy are they to fit?

Anyone know if these are any good and easy to fit? http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

The Scottoiler seems kinda expensive compared to them ^^

believe the loobman is quite good alright - probably not the same level of aftermarket support as the scotty mind, but nevertheless

I dont believe it will reduce the amount of chain stretch you're getting though - its not really a lubrication issue afaik

Is it a new chain? Unless the chain is pre-stretched, it will do the majority of its stretching in the first few hundred miles (if even)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

Did you consider that it might have been a problem with the way you had it installed? Anyone I know with a scottoiler has it cable tied on in some fashion and doesn't have the problem you have described.

Looks like the lad has tried everything and decided to go the way of drilling a swingarm, its not rocket science to fit so I imagine he did it right.

Cable ties are fine but not ideal and are un-sightly, especially in the wet they can move around. The people you know are prolly going through cable ties to beat the band keeping it in place. I dont have a scottoiler but I planning on getting one, but I would have no probs drilling a small 2-3 mm hole in a swingarm.

Bingo481 wrote: »
    Looks like the lad has tried everything and decided to go the way of drilling a swingarm, its not rocket science to fit so I imagine he did it right.

Cable ties are fine but not ideal and are un-sightly, especially in the wet they can move around. The people you know are prolly going through cable ties to beat the band keeping it in place. I dont have a scottoiler but I planning on getting one, but I would have no probs drilling a small 2-3 mm hole in a swingarm.

I have the scottoiler installed well over a year with cable ties and the only time I had to adjust it was when I put a new chain/tire on, saying that I dont see any issue with drilling 2x3mm holes in to the swing arm, I dont see it would weaken its strenght properties or structural integrity - I still wouldnt drill in to mine though :o

• Advertisement

Nope.

It was just a suggestion. Nothing could convince me to drill into a swingarm and I certainly wouldn't do it myself, I'd get a proper bike mechanic. I'm still wondering about an insurance company questioning modifying the frame of your bike without notifying them (assuming they haven't been notified).

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Personally I think some people are over reacting a little bit over how these are to be fitted

The way i see it is........ If the instructions say you can drill it then id be fairly confident no harm will be caused

If i was fitting one to my bike i would try and use cable ties i wouldnt like to be left with a hole in the swing arm if i ever had to remove the system.

The only modifying the insurance company needs to know about would be performance modifications, not a lousy scottoiler been mounted on a swingarm or anywhere else. Adding two screws to a swingarm hardly constitutes modding now does it. Sure the amount of add ons needed for a single swingarm mount (non drilling) would be more of a mod the messing involved.

And why on earth would you get a proper bike mechanic that would charge you at least an hours hard cash to drill 2 tiny little holes, if everyone was to use that mentality no one would even service their own bike as its far more complicated then drilling a small hole or two.

The only modifying the insurance company needs to know about would be performance modifications, not a lousy scottoiler been mounted on a swingarm or anywhere else. Adding two screws to a swingarm hardly constitutes modding now does it. Sure the amount of add ons needed for a single swingarm mount (non drilling) would be more of a mod the messing involved.

And why on earth would you get a proper bike mechanic that would charge you at least an hours hard cash to drill 2 tiny little holes, if everyone was to use that mentality no one would even service their own bike as its far more complicated then drilling a small hole or two.

You're incorrect there.

Servicing your bike and drilling a few holes in your swingarm are entirely different matters. They don't even compare.

I'm after asking a few of the lads and they've all said the same thing "If I went to buy a bike and there was a few holes drilled into a swingarm I wouldn't touch it".

Sure do whatever you want to your own bike, nobody to blame but yourself then.

You're incorrect there.

Servicing your bike and drilling a few holes in your swingarm are entirely different matters. They don't even compare

Says who? That is your opinion not concrete facts. So what if you asked a few lads, they all experts in the field of swingarm mods? Or a queue at the local bus stop. Everyone is an expert in their own mind. A tad presumptuous dont you think pixie?

I would not buy a bike either with holes in the swing arm, but I would if the scottoiler was still attached to it. And so would any other half sane person, I would be more inclined to know about service history and wear and tear then a scottoiler attached properly to a motorbike.

Says who? That is your opinion not concrete facts. So what if you asked a few lads, they all experts in the field of swingarm mods? Or a queue at the local bus stop. Everyone is an expert in their own mind. A tad presumptuous dont you think pixie?

I would not buy a bike either with holes in the swing arm, but I would if the scottoiler was still attached to it. And so would any other half sane person, I would be more inclined to know about service history and wear and tear then a scottoiler attached properly to a motorbike.

No, not just my opinion.

No they're not experts, nor did I claim they are, but they are potential customers of people who are drilling holes in their swingarms. Do you have to be an expert to have an opinion now?!

"I would be more inclined to know about service history and wear and tear" - as would anyone buying a bike.

I'm not being presumptuous. I think you're just getting a bit carried away. We'll just leave it there ;)

Well if its just your opinion how am I incorrect? I was merely stating that just because you asked a few lads does not make the statement correct. And thus if its just your opinion no one is right or wrong. I did not state anyone was right or wrong, you did.

Indeed we shall leave it there, as its alot of mountains out of molehills for such a simple operation. As for me getting carried away I think you should re-read some of your own posts relating to Insurance companies and engineers aswell as bike mechanics for drilling a swingarm. That my dear is carried away.

Happy biking. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The main way of stopping cracks spreading is by drilling the end of the crack. Engineers drill into metals all the time to stop cracks spreading, even on aircraft, so a few holes in a swing arm won't do any harm once they are in the correct position.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The main way of stopping cracks spreading is by drilling the end of the crack. Engineers drill into metals all the time to stop cracks spreading, even on aircraft, so a few holes in a swing arm won't do any harm once they are in the correct position.

Yes that's all fine and well but how many of your average biker would actually have the knowledge and ability to carry out that work correctly? I certainly wouldn't have much confidence in a layperson carrying out that work.

Could not have put it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes that's all fine and well but how many of your average biker would actually have the knowledge and ability to carry out that work correctly? I certainly wouldn't have much confidence in a layperson carrying out that work.

You've no confidence in someone drilling a hole:eek:

Once it's not near an edge it'll be fine, they have so much redundancy built into modern vehicles you could drill most of the metal away and it'd still be stronger than the average person would be able to push a bike on the road.

Once it's not near an edge it'll be fine,

or a welded area.

You've no confidence in someone drilling a hole:eek:

Once it's not near an edge it'll be fine, they have so much redundancy built into modern vehicles you could drill most of the metal away and it'd still be stronger than the average person would be able to push a bike on the road.

I've no confidence in a layperson carrying out that level of work to a satisfactory conclusion. One misjudgment or slip up would be a disaster that a layperson may not even be able to recognise.

I've enough said on the matter. I wouldn't do it and I certainly don't recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Wossack wrote: »
    believe the loobman is quite good alright - probably not the same level of aftermarket support as the scotty mind, but nevertheless

I dont believe it will reduce the amount of chain stretch you're getting though - its not really a lubrication issue afaik

Is it a new chain? Unless the chain is pre-stretched, it will do the majority of its stretching in the first few hundred miles (if even)

It is a new chain. Bought about two months ago. Over 1k miles on it and I'm still having to adjust it nearly every week.

Would driving in the city center a lot make the chain wear this fast?

I was hoping one of these Scottoiler systems would really help my chain and make it last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

new chain on new sprockets? or new chain on the old fellas?

Advertisement