Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking for nine teenagers

Options
  • 03-08-2012 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. :)
    I'm cooking a meal on Sunday for 9 teenagers and I was just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for something that is easy enough to make to feed so many people. I suppose I am just looking for something different than the usual pizza and chips we would usually have, I'm looking for something a bit healthier.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hey everyone. :)
    I'm cooking a meal on Sunday for 9 teenagers and I was just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for something that is easy enough to make to feed so many people. I suppose I am just looking for something different than the usual pizza and chips we would usually have, I'm looking for something a bit healthier.

Thanks.

Barbecue would be the obvious one if you get the weather.

Otherwise stuff like pasta or rice dishes that can be done in a large pot all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

A Huge Lasagne and salad :) Homemade oven chips if they really really cant survive without them.

Or a big pot of stew/ curry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Yeah I was thinking lasagna myself, have never made one but it doesn't seem too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Yeah I was thinking lasagna myself, have never made one but it doesn't seem too difficult.

Here you go: http://www.greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=2&id=1381

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

A load homemade spag bol in a pot with some de cecco spacetti

job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Slow cooked Chili Con Carne with low fat beef mince and make some cornbread/hard taco rolls. Put the tacos/cornbread/rice in a bowl beside the chili, get some sour cream and guacamole, and leave them at it. Try grab some Chipotle tobasco sauce too.

Two bowls, minimum mess, lots of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Fajitas would work. You can prepare nearly everything in advance and then grill/bbq your marinated chicken and/or beef right before serving.

Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, refried beans, sautéed onions, rice and warm totrillas.

You just put everything on a table and let the 9 teenagers at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP - this is a lovely alternative to traditional lasagne. My daughter has started making it for her uni friends too:

Chicken and chorizo lasagne

Serves 4
    Ingredients
    500g chicken thigh or breast sliced
    100g chorizo diced
    1 large onion very finely diced
    2 celery stalks very finely diced
    3 cloves garlic crushed
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    150ml white wine
    dried lasagne (approx 9 sheets)
    1 tbs thyme chopped
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp sugar
    50g parmesan cheese grated

Method
    1. Cook the onion, celery and garlic in some oil for 5 mins until softened. Add the chorizo, chicken, thyme and paprika and continue cooking for 5 mins. Add the wine and tomatoes, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 mins, add sugar and seasoning.
    2. Meanwhile to make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter over a med heat, then whisk in the flour, pour in the milk and continue whisking until it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally. Season.
    3. Assemble the lasagne in a greased oven dish by layering the chicken mixture, bechamel and pasta alternatively, finishing with the bechamel, add the grated parmesan and cook in an oven set at 200c for 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

How about getting them to make their own pizzas together? It's great fun, just get a load of flour and yeast (if you want a thick base) pasata, some nice different cheeses and then toppings like various meats, anchovies etc and do a big side salad with various dressings on the side. Simple, interactive and fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Meat balls in tomato sauce, always a winner with teenagers. Tastes even better if made the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

taco meat fro lean ground beef or chicken, shredded cheese, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and low fat sour cream. set on ice and let them build their own. Chopped chilies if they want to add to the heat. Provide some nice cookies for dessert, oatmeal, chocolate chip. Have some lemonade - if they're girls freeze some pink lemonade with cherry and lemon curls inside for pretty ice cubes - guys just don't care that much. Have plenty.

Advertisement