Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Esb ad from the 80's Omega, Kadett E Ascona Vectra

• 03-08-2012 4:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

What is this

I remember it before youtube. I'm sure it was on HI plates, means it was south tipp. But in 1988, everything was 88 TS or whatever the county was, so how could it be registered as HI. HI ended in 1985. Did this type of Opel/Vaxhaull exist then? btw, I know I'm gonna get raped for this :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

It was used again last Christmas, for the new returning emigrants:(. I always thought it was an Omega, looks a bit big for a Kaddet, and those headrests look Omega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

Opel Omega A series estate ..

huge big estate ,not many left around now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Ahh. Omega. I always thought it was a kadett E, and one of the lads thought it was a Senator. An estate Omega would have been scarce enough back then, would it not?
    And what's the story with the reg. I can't tell from the clip, but it does have 4 numbers 2 letters. I could swear it's Ih or HI. Could it be on northern plates?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The town at 50 seconds in is Rathdrum with Jacobs Well on the right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i thought the omega only came out late 86 early 87 because the first one the opel dealer sold in 87 was an estate and it was a bag of dirt , warranty work was done before delivery and it only got worse after that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

You knuckleheads :D.it is an Opel Kadett E (84-91)

4453530287_85ab8e3604_z.jpg

Ask Alan Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

That's what I thought it was myself, but we had a dispute at home about it. :) The bro thought it was a Senator and the cousin thought it was an Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

It's definitely an omega

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Its an Omega A without a shadow of a doubt.

I am not convinced:(

Opel Omega

1031103n0z3kx.jpg

Vauxhall Carlton

6926339751_da81e47724_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

jimmyw wrote: »
    You knuckleheads :D.it is an Opel Kadett E (84-91)

4453530287_85ab8e3604_z.jpg

Ask Alan Hughes.

Incorrect, it was an Omega Estate, base model and probably 2.0l petrol. It was late 86' car. HI was south tipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

8385 HI, 1975 (theres a clearer version on youtube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You are all wrong :D

It's an Opel Rekord E2 (facelifted E) Caravan / Kombi ...built from 82 - 86

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ73wVHqkNmS7BdeNiejg4vmBLXG21p2OQvJ0xfocLQLctVjKTel3LMx2BmARekord-E-Caravan-k-2005-03.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuC32WcSnUSS1e78LwQPsx4NuEEQyNxHUfkMc-IVK7TBe03yyME7R_Vb-eoQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

peasant wrote: »
    You are all wrong :D

It's an Opel Rekord E2 (facelifted E) Caravan / Kombi ...built from 82 - 86

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ73wVHqkNmS7BdeNiejg4vmBLXG21p2OQvJ0xfocLQLctVjKTel3LMx2BmARekord-E-Caravan-k-2005-03.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuC32WcSnUSS1e78LwQPsx4NuEEQyNxHUfkMc-IVK7TBe03yyME7R_Vb-eoQ

By putting up three photo's of a different car to the one used in the ad doesn't make your guess correct- the car in the ad is clearly the replacement for the Record- i.e the Omega.

Have another look at the ad on youtube in better quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlfAOxTTIA

I can't make out the number on the reg, but my guess is that it might have been a fake reg anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Casati wrote: »
    Have another look at the ad on youtube in better quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlfAOxTTIA

yepp, you're right ...it's not the Rekord

There is feck all difference in my opinion between the kadett E estate and the Omega estate of that era, except the Omega was longer and the C pillar seems to be more rounded.You would think GM could have distinguished them more.

My specs have steamed up now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I can't believer there is even a debate about this on the forum:eek:!

It is definitely 100% an Opel Omega. Could have told you that from childhood memory alone. As for the number - well they were around pre '87 so could be real
    OR...
    fake plates are often used for filming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

opel.png
    opel2.png

Looks like an Omega to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

+1 its an Omega, black door frames on the Omega, body coloured on Kadetts/Rekords and 86/87 Kadetts have "chip cutter" grille, not slatted type and anyway its too feckin huge to be a Kadett:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I can't believer there is even a debate about this on the forum! :eek::eek:

+1

Here's a link that might help some here :D

http://www.specsavers.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement