Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford bypass opens today

Options
  • 03-08-2012 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭

Open today 2 months ahead of schedule should save a bit of time heading west

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

mgn wrote: »
    Open today 2 months ahead of schedule should save a bit of time heading west

any photos of the raod open?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I was on it two hours after it opened. How come it's covered in tyre marks from boy racers doing dough-nuts on it in their twincams? Has there been easy access to it prior to it opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

After 3pm every Friday evening, especially on a bank holiday weekend, traffic is usually bumper to bumper out the dublin road past Dunnes and as far out as viewmount. Yesterday was like any other week day, no traffic here at all. It should make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Trying to envisage it. Would I be right in thinking, its close enough or parallel to the back road that would bring you roughly from Pearse Park to Flancare Park or thereabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Trying to envisage it. Would I be right in thinking, its close enough or parallel to the back road that would bring you roughly from Pearse Park to Flancare Park or thereabouts?

thats nearly exactly where it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

its a brilliant asset to the area on one hand..on the other, it may have negative effects on businesses in the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

you have to go through 5 roundabouts coming from dublin to get on to the strokestown road, towards mayo

would be quicker heading through longford town at most times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

I see LCC are patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/coco_content.aspx?id=25178

N5 Longford Bypass is Now Open.

WIFB65C.jpg

After years of planning and 16 months of construction, The N5 Longford Bypass is now open. The Contractor for the project Wills Bros Ltd. removed the temporary traffic management measures that blocked the new stretch of road at 11.00 a.m. on Friday August 3rd.. The bypass is 2.6km long and road users will now save up to 25 minutes on journeys by using the bypass. Road users will also get views of Longford Town including the spire of St. Mels Cathedral and Corn hill from a different perspective. The project which is 2 months ahead of schedule has a construction cost of approximately €8 million. There are 2 new roundabouts, a bridge over the River Camlin, a rail bridge over the Sligo Dublin rail line and a bridge over the Lisbrack road.

WIF9E00.jpg

Mayor of Longford County Council Cllr. Sean Farrell stated “Longford will no longer be a bottle neck for through traffic heading west on the N5 and this road will bring improved safety for motorists and remove tailbacks and congestion from Longford Town. He added “Longford Town would now be more attractive to shoppers, pedestrians and the local community to enjoy with heavy goods vehicles and through traffic taken out of the Town Centre. I congratulate Mr. Tim Caffrey, Longford County Manager, the staff of Longford County Council, the staff of the National Roads Authority, the staff of the National Roads Regional Design Office Roscommon, the Employers Representative Fehily Timoney Gifford and the Contractor, Wills Bros Ltd for the excellent work and dedication to the project.”
    Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman National Roads Authority stated “The Longford Bypass will remove unnecessary traffic from the town centre, improve safety and assist in creating opportunities for local businesses. Additionally, it will allow residents and tourists alike to experience all that is on offer throughout the entire region.”
    Mr. Michael Nolan, Head of Regional Management National Roads Authority added “The N5 Longford Bypass project consists of 2.6 km of standard single carriageway National Primary Road, 2 No. at-grade roundabouts on the N4 and N5, a Rail Bridge, River Camlin Bridge and a Bridge over the Lisbrack road. I would like to congratulate our Local Authority colleagues and the Contractor for delivering the scheme ahead of schedule.”
    WIF73E8.jpg
    WIFE12F.jpg
    Had to laugh at this little nugget of misinformation "The bypass is 2.6km long and road users will now save up to 25 minutes on journeys by using the bypass."
    I think that comment is somewhat of a slight exaggeration, I reckon about a ten minute saving on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

After 3pm every Friday evening, especially on a bank holiday weekend, traffic is usually bumper to bumper out the dublin road past Dunnes and as far out as viewmount. Yesterday was like any other week day, no traffic here at all. It should make a big difference.

Just wondering what traffic is like in the town now that the bypass has been opened a few months?

I'll be working there for a few weeks soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Just wondering what traffic is like in the town now that the bypass has been opened a few months?

I'll be working there for a few weeks soon
    What Traffic? From a traffic point of view its been great

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sloppy bucket

was driving through it lately, havent been that way in ages, its a brilliant addition to the town but i was down at flancare pitch and i taught it was a disgrace the way there no footpaths for the new roundabout. there was 10 people walking around the roundabout, traffic was busy on the roundabout. young kids walking out to watch a match could get hurt, get it fixed before someone gets hurt

Advertisement