Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

value of ash thinnings ?

• 03-08-2012 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

we are presently thinning about 10 A ac of hard wood , have had a couple of enquiries re buying the timber

one guy is looking to buy ash in about 8' lengths, the timber would be from about 2" to 9" diameter, we would deliver in a dump trailer

my son is also looking at the option of selling a few bags door to door or to shops ( this would be limited due to time but may a project for him at weekends etc)

any body got any idea of what to charge in either of above ,

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

25 kg nutbags of hardwood e3 door to door.

I imagine the ash timber is for hurleys or furniture making so is probably worth a small fortune.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/with-hurley-ash-money-really-does-grow-on-trees-2264872.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

ash thinnings isnt really suited for furniture making and definatly not for hurls, its just too small.

the easiest option is to sell it all off or you could contact a local forester and see what they can do.
    now if u wanted i would say selling it as firewood is a good option, but to lesson the workload cut all the trees into 10 foot lenghts and sell by the lorry load, around 30 cubic meters.

if its seasoned for a few months and is good enough to burn in a stove you could be looking at ball park 1500euro for a 30 cubic meter truck load of ash to people for firewood.

this gives you the option of using what you want and how much you want for yourselves and selling a couple of truck loads and make some nice money. if you sell it to anyone in large quantities your better off leaving it in 10 foot lenghts unless they offer more if its cut into 12 inches or what ever they want. its not worth the time or hassle otherwise and transport is easier

Advertisement