Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows server 2008 Raid 5 Repair

Options
  • 03-08-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

So I'm very new to the raid side of things but I've a software raid 5 set up on the infamous HP proliants (3 * 2TB) and one of the disks has errors.

So I'm trying to replace the drive with errors, I power down, put in an extra disk (3TB) and when everything powers up I click repair. The problem is it seems to be taking a good disk out of the raid instead of the bad one?

The first time I did it it swapped out a good disk for the new 3TB and left the drive with errors, The second time it swapped out the 3TB disk again??

Anyway of selecting what disk you want to swap out??

Thanks for any advice.
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Power down, physically remove the bad drive, install the new drive. Power up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried that too and the Raid just broke completely? I thought I was taking out the wrong drive but I'm fairly certain it wasn't, shur I'll give it another go see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I am no expert like yourself but you are swapping out a 2TB drive for a 3TB drive...That could be your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭randombar

Was able to swap to that all right, just makes the 3TB size 2TB

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Was able to swap to that all right, just makes the 3TB size 2TB

True, the extra space will just be unallocated, ignore me ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement