Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies!

Options
  • 03-08-2012 9:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a modern 3 bed apartment. Good condition, no dampness, wooden floors throughout etc.

In the last couple of weeks a gang of flies have taken over the sitting room.

There's about 8-10 of them and they just fly around in a group in the centre of the room like they are on crack.

It is a kitchen cum sitting room setup but it's nothing to do with rubbish as they are nowhere near the bin or kitchen.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of these without using one of those strips that they stick to which is pretty mank imho.

And even better, does anyone know what is attracting them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Hi ebixa82,

I know that the flystrips are awful but they're the only thing that I've found effective (can;t use fly spray gives me headaches)
    What I do is put it up at night and then take it down in the morning so at least I'm not looking at it all day or if you're out at work all day-put it up before you go.
    We were plagued with small black flies in the kitchen and the fly strip combined with a compost bucket with a lid has massively reduced them
    With the compost bucket-you leave it slightly open for a few hours-pop the lid closed and bring it out to the compost bin-as you empty it-lots of flies come out but at least they're in the garden not the kitchen.
    Hope that helps
    Lyn256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Could be a dead mouse somewhere? Gross sorry, but had the same problem and that was the source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Could be a dead mouse somewhere? Gross sorry, but had the same problem and that was the source.

It's the top story of a 6th floor apartment complex so hopefully this isn't the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Do you have any velux windows? For some reason flies love to nest in the vent part of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Is there no time that the apartment is vacant? Use a fly spray and then go out for a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

odds_on wrote: »
    Is there no time that the apartment is vacant? Use a fly spray and then go out for a couple of hours.

Perfect solution and spray in all the corners etc. Probably a batch of eggs left by one fly has hatched.

I find now that they gravitate to the window and I help them out then.

But at night if they are bad( rural here so they are a pest) I close the main room off and spray then.

This too is what they advise on the spray cans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

odds_on wrote: »

Cheers I thought sprays were just used on flies that are actively buzzing around the place.

If I can spray in the morning and head off to work then grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I find those decorative fly killer window stickers (usually of butterflies) work great. Had house full of flies in last couple of weeks and they are all gone after a couple of days by just putting these stickers on a few windows.

I picked up in local hardware shop.

1314010171.jpg&h=360&w=460&zc=3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I had an influx of fruit flies once, vacuum cleaner and a bit of chasing sorted it out. Make sure and close the bag and get rid of it straight after, otherwise you will have a nest of maggots in there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I find those decorative fly killer window stickers (usually of butterflies) work great. Had house full of flies in last couple of weeks and they are all gone after a couple of days by just putting these stickers on a few windows.

I picked up in local hardware shop.

1314010171.jpg&h=360&w=460&zc=3

we have started to use these, and they are brilliant.

we have a lot of flies in the summer with all the windows and doors being open, so this works a treat.

we just sweep down the window sill every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

There is a huge problem in the country at the moment with midges and flys due to the unusual changes in weather, if you live near a fruit or veg farm the problem will be worse, if you have vents on your windows keep them closed and your windows too, get some 3 in 1 bin guard and use it in all bins inside and out, if you can get some citronella candles and light them this will help prevent them.
    They are invading homes more so this year because the weather pattern is all over the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- you're in an apartment.
    For whatever reason- the windows in apartments seem to be some sort of a magnet for nesting flies (there is normally minor ventilation built into the windows you typically find in apartments, in lieu of the open/close vents you'll find in other residential property types).

To be honest- distasteful as it seems- I'd have to concur with the suggestion above- get some good sprays, seal the room, go out for a few hours and when you get back, ventilate properly and vacuum any dead flies etc). You may have to do this a few times every couple of days to clear up residual issues. I'd then follow up with using citronella candles to keep them away.

As per above- it seems to be a particular issue with apartments- and of course our unusual weather of late hasn't helped issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

OP....take irishbirds advice......I LOVE these things.
    Have them in ladybirds shape this year and the butterfly ones last year.
    Make sure to put them in top corner of your window and expect dead flies every morning to clean up.
    They are not the cheapest things....close to €5 for a pack of 4 (price in my village shop....supermarkets could be cheaper)
    Seriously things things rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

MariMel wrote: »
    OP....take irishbirds advice......I LOVE these things.
    Have them in ladybirds shape this year and the butterfly ones last year.
    Make sure to put them in top corner of your window and expect dead flies every morning to clean up.
    They are not the cheapest things....close to €5 for a pack of 4 (price in my village shop....supermarkets could be cheaper)
    Seriously things things rock.
    Hmmmm ..... very active dead flies!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

how about one of these yolk?? I think you can get them in 2Euro shop, seen them a while ago not sure if they still have it..

I use it for flies, spiders and nearly anything that invades the house while I have the window open, one time cost only, charge by wall socket when ran out of juice.. gives you a good work out too swinging it at those little buggers :D;)

Electric_Bug_Zapper_Fly_Killer_Swatter_Racket.jpg

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement