Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Half Marathon - 15th September 2012

Options
  • 03-08-2012 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've been thinking about this as a first half marathon, its either this or the Phoenix Park Half on the same day but the flat half in Athlone as a first somewhat appeals.

Anyone have any thoughts? - I don't know the area or the race so any advice appreciated.

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/joomla16/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Its the races first year, i'm doing it myself as i'm from just outside Athlone. I was emailing the organiser regarding it and he says its pancake flat, which seems to be the case from race profile on the website. Be less of a crowd than Dublin so it should be more comfortable to run. Its well priced to for a half marathon IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I signed up for this as well, more as a training, enjoy it type run than to get any sort of time. Free non alcoholic beer at the end as well is a nice touch. First year is probably going to be a bit chaotic at times but I think it'll be good, less crowded than the Dublin one but hopefully a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seeryd

Hi There,

I'm one of the organisers and we really hope that this race is going to be a great success. It is on quiet country roads, very flat and the 20euro entrance fee includes a t-shirt and race finisher medal and oh yeah, a free non-alcoholic isotonic Erdinger beer after!!

Our original target was for 300 entrants and I think we will achieve this target easily. I wish you all the best with your training and hopefully we get to see you at the startline. Plenty of updates in the coming weeks on the race website and facebook page.

Yours in Sport
    The Flatline - Athlone Half Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

Hi All,

Just to help you make a decision as to what to do. It is the first event for us but we are all coming from a running or Triathlon background and have all been involved in running event s previously. Hopefully it will not be chaotic as we are working hard to cover all the items that we can foresee.

As I said we come from sporting backgrounds and want to put on a event that is enjoyable and offers people who have never completed the distance the opportunity to complete as well as give more serious runners the opportunity to break their Personal Bests. All this with the guiding principal that it is fair value.

We have been fortunate that local sponsors and the likes of Erdinger have come aboard based on the principals of the event and that is fair value and a good event.

We have a Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/athlonehalfmarathon

and a website

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com
    • You will find a lot of information on both sites. There is a Garmin map of the course. At the highest point on the course the between kilometres 10-15 there is a rise of 40cms every 100ms. It really is that flat.!!
    • We have 4 entrants to the event who are blogging on the website and they range from those tring to set a PB to those trying to complete the distance. There are some really inspiring stories in the blogs.
    • We will have pacers on the day at 1.20hrs, 1.30hrs, 1.45hrs and 2.0hrs.
    • It will be chip timed
    • The Beer we will give to finishers is NON ALCOHOLIC but not just that, it is ISOTONIC. Might be unbelievable but it is true.
    • Anything that you need to know and can’t find on the website or Facebook page just drop us a note and we will help.

We are looking forward to a great event. At the moment it looks as if we will go over what we hoped for and we almost have 50/50 participation between male and female so that is great.

Hope to see you all on the day and thanks for considering the event.

Yours in Sport,

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

iarmhi1975 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just to help you make a decision as to what to do. It is the first event for us but we are all coming from a running or Triathlon background and have all been involved in running event s previously. Hopefully it will not be chaotic as we are working hard to cover all the items that we can foresee.

As I said we come from sporting backgrounds and want to put on a event that is enjoyable and offers people who have never completed the distance the opportunity to complete as well as give more serious runners the opportunity to break their Personal Bests. All this with the guiding principal that it is fair value.

We have been fortunate that local sponsors and the likes of Erdinger have come aboard based on the principals of the event and that is fair value and a good event.

We have a Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/athlonehalfmarathon

and a website

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com
    • You will find a lot of information on both sites. There is a Garmin map of the course. At the highest point on the course the between kilometres 10-15 there is a rise of 40cms every 100ms. It really is that flat.!!
    • We have 4 entrants to the event who are blogging on the website and they range from those tring to set a PB to those trying to complete the distance. There are some really inspiring stories in the blogs.
    • We will have pacers on the day at 1.20hrs, 1.30hrs, 1.45hrs and 2.0hrs.
    • It will be chip timed
    • The Beer we will give to finishers is NON ALCOHOLIC but not just that, it is ISOTONIC. Might be unbelievable but it is true.
    • Anything that you need to know and can’t find on the website or Facebook page just drop us a note and we will help.

We are looking forward to a great event. At the moment it looks as if we will go over what we hoped for and we almost have 50/50 participation between male and female so that is great.

Hope to see you all on the day and thanks for considering the event.

Yours in Sport,

Thanks, looking forward to it, haven't entered yet getting Phoenix Park 10 mile out of the way first but will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 meouldstock

Hi seeryd and iarmhi1975,

Will race entry be cut off once you get 300 participants or can people register after you reach that figure?
    Do you have a closing date for registration?

I'd been thinking about this race but I won't know if that weekend will be free until the week before.

Cheers.

The principal of the race is to allow people to run so we would not be in favour of turning people away at all. We can plan for more than 300, the route can easily cater for more, and have contingency with regards to T-shirts, Medals, Water, timing chips and the Beer for more .
    We have guarenteed that there will be race entry on the day and we will stick to that. We will announce closer to the day how many will be available on the day.

If you want to run then you will run and we will look after you while you do.;)

Updates all the time on the Facebook page.

Online entry closes on Thursday September 13th for €20 and entry on the day is €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 meouldstock

Cheers iarmhi1975, hopefully will get to see ye down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

Looks good and a nice change to have an alternative to the Dublin half which I've been doing for the last number of years ( I live near enough to the pheonix park), so I think I'll give it a shot. Need to check if I'm working that weekend but should know early next week. As long as there's a place for joggers I'm happy :)
    Did the Longford half a few days ago and it was very warm.. so beer will be welcome at the end..even non-alcoholic and even in the rain !

Also, a flat course is always a winner, especially for us plodders ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just registered for this due to Kilkenny HM being cancelled. Looking forward to it as based on what ive seen so far it looks like it will be well organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Looking forward to doing this flat half marathon, thrilled that its only 20 euro ! and you get a medal and tshirt and chipped ! more events should take note :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

This looks likes a good race and I think I'll do it. I wonder tho could someone confirm if it has been certified/measured course.
    Thanks. Looking forward to it.

This looks likes a good race and I think I'll do it. I wonder tho could someone confirm if it has been certified/measured course.

I think it is, remember seeing it on there Facebook page. If your in doubt email the organiser, hes very prompt & accomodating usually.

Thought I saw somewhere that it was Athletics Ireland approved which would suggest the distance is correct. I've entered and am looking forward to it. My best races are over longer distances although I haven't tackled anything over 10 miles.

You could check the event website to confirm the finer details.

Anyone know where the start and finish to this is?

Is it in the town? ans where would be the best spot to park on the morning of the race?

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone know where the start and finish to this is?

Is it in the town? ans where would be the best spot to park on the morning of the race?

Start & finish at St Aloysius College which is on the Roscommon side of the town. Parking is being provided in the grounds of the school as far as i know.

Hello All,

I see the questions coming in and for some reason did not get a notification. Sorry for delayed response. Let me address some of the questions now.

Question Start & finish at St Aloysius College which is on the Roscommon side of the town. Parking is being provided in the grounds of the school as far as i know.

Answer: Correct, start and finish will be in the college, we have parking in the college also for race participants and should be able to accomodate overflow in the Shamrock Lodge Hotel who are a sponsor. There is also parking available just of Connacht Street.

Question: This looks likes a good race and I think I'll do it. I wonder tho could someone confirm if it has been certified/measured course.

Answer: We are delighted to announce that it is a certified and measured course and we have a permit from AAI.

General: We are providing constant updates on Facebook and we realise that not everyone is on Facebook so also updating the Website.

WE ARE BLOWN AWAY BY THE RESPONSE TO THIS FIRST TIME EVENT AND BELIEVE ME WHEN WE TELL YOU WE ARE WORKING AROUND THE CLOCK ON IT. THE REGISTRATIONS WE BELIVE ARE SENDING OUT A MESSAGE AND AS RUNNERS OURSELVES WE ARE DELIGHTED. ON THE DAY WE WILL BE VISIBLE AS ORGANISERS. WE WANT TO DO THE BEST WE CAN FOR YOU SO PLEASE DONT BE SHY IN LETTING US KNOW HOW WE CAN HELP. THIS IS NOT OUR EVENT IT IS THE RUNNERS EVENT WE ARE JUST TAKING OUR TURN TO ORGANISE.;)

Spotted on the FB page that they could hit the 500 entrants mark come Saturday.

A great achievement for the first running of the event. Should lead to a good atmosphere around. Organisation to date has been great in fairness. Hopefully it will all go off with out a hitch!

Starting to look forward to it now!

Thanks Blockic, we are certainly not looking for any hitchs:D

• Advertisement

For those running i see from there Facebook page the start time has been pushed back till 11.30am. Registration is still closed at 10.30am.

Looking forward to it, seems to have taken off as an event. The Erdinger Non Alcolohol beer at the finish is a nice touch.

I have a soft spot for community run events like this so will burn off a bit of diesel to get there, I know it'll be worth it.

It's my first half marathon and I'm ready as I'll ever be.

220655.png

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Weather looking good. Slight breeze into us on the first half of the marathon but with us for the push in the end!

Shouldnt be much of a factor. Just think of the beer at the end! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ah fek it. i was sure last day for online reg was today friday.
    dont necessarily mind the extra 5er but was hoping to get the tshirt and avoid reg q's.
    still going to do it tho and really looking forward to it. its 11:30 start right?

Yep, its 11.30 now with registration closing at 10.30 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trowel

Have decided to keep my first marathon plans on track and enter this race - will make the trip from Dublin in the morning. 11.30 start means i can get a nice big bowl of oats into me beforehand too :)
    Looks like it will be a great debut entry from the Athlone organisers who have had to work round the clock to keep up with the entrants! Well done folks!
    Good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Race was a great success, must have been over 600, great route and ideal for setting PB's which I did at 1:34. Credit to the organisers for a very successful event. Now to Maguire's for post race party !

Great race, I finished just over 1:49 so I was delighted to have a sub 1:50 for my first half marathon.

The race was very well organised with over 700 entries, arrived to lots of car parking and race crew directing people to car space, registration was well organised and technical tops are top class.

The start was somewhat congested and the chip was I think only for finish from gun time but the route was a good run through the local countryside. I admired plenty of bog and the next time I'm burning turf I'll know where it came from.

The finish was great with Erdinger non alc beer, fruit and water. I look forward to this next year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Great race, I finished just over 1:49 so I was delighted to have a sub 1:50 for my first half marathon.

The race was very well organised with over 700 entries, arrived to lots of car parking and race crew directing people to car space, registration was well organised and technical tops are top class.

The start was somewhat congested and the chip was I think only for finish from gun time but the route was a good run through the local countryside. I admired plenty of bog and the next time I'm burning turf I'll know where it came from.

The finish was great with Erdinger non alc beer, fruit and water. I look forward to this next year.:)
    I am a huge race critic but for a first year event this was top class. Yes start was congested but so is Ballycotton so no biggie. Plenty of water in bottles and good race support. Great finish too with plenty of fruit(not my thing) water and erdinger. 2 PBS out of car from the 2 that raced it so it's a good pb course. Def be back nxt yr. 20 euro inc a tshirt. Was a blessing in disguise kk half was cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Delighted with how this went. Really well organised and good feel about the place.
    Crushed my pb by 7 mins so Athlone looks very pretty to me now.
    I am certain to return next year. Thank You

Advertisement