Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options

Comments

Been going up and down all day, down again now but was up about 5 minutes ago.

Any recommendations for an e-mail provider that isn't Google? I was half thinking of registering my own domain but I have no idea what I'd register. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colacadet

Ah jaysus, if BT just pulled the plug with no warning, I'm going to be very annoyed. It's not like they don't have my email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Up again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

colacadet wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, if BT just pulled the plug with no warning, I'm going to be very annoyed.

IOL being defunct for years isn't warning enough? ;)

If you're looking for alternatives, be warned that Eircom isn't the healthiest crowd either, last time I heard of them they were in examinership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colacadet

Torqay wrote: »
    IOL being defunct for years isn't warning enough? ;)

If you're looking for alternatives, be warned that Eircom isn't the healthiest crowd either, last time I heard of them they were in examinership.

If IOL had gone defunct last week I would agree, but when it stays active for years, I'd think dropping a wee line would be in order.

I'm with the earlier poster who kept using it for sentimental reasons. That address is attached to one of the first dozen dial-up accounts ever in Sligo. I actually got to visit the ISP and see all seven blazing fast 28.8k modems blinking and squealing away on a shelf.

• Advertisement

colacadet wrote: »
    If IOL had gone defunct last week I would agree, but when it stays active for years, I'd think dropping a wee line would be in order.

Sorry, I should have made clear that I meant the company, not the service which is now in the care of British Telecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

Up and down this morning still, I check through Gmail and Thunderbird.

You'd hope that if BT are considering any possible closure of the iol.ie mail server, that they'd do it in the same way the Irish Times did with ireland.com email addresses; give the users plenty of warning (say 6 months) so they can make alternative arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy Dave

its back.
    no its gone
    its back again!
    any one know how to take an email off windows live mail. but to let the emails there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Can a 'divert' be set up to send all iol.ie emails to say my .gmail.com email???

Ive been with IOL from day one and coundn't imagine how I could alert all my contacts over the years that I have changed ny address. Not to mention all the web subscriptions I have going.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can do it the other way around, by pulling from Gmail. It makes very little sense to keep using it though, they will eventually kill it off. If it was me, I would've given notice years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

In fairness, its still reliable. I've not seen it any issues before, only these last couple of days and mails are still getting through. Lets hope its not terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

It seems to be back working consitently now for me anyway. Hopefully this was just a blip, but it could definately be a warning to gradually move to another provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would the closure of IOL email also affect esatclear stuff? I really should migrate to something else, I've had an esatclear address since I first got dial up

I spoke too soon, it seems to be down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

I am having problems with my iol account as well in the last few days. The pop server rejecting the password. But it seems to be coming and going. I would be unhappy with it gone, I have so many services with that as my contact email. Why change if it ain't broken. And I get so little spam.

Clamball wrote: »
    I am having problems with my iol account as well in the last few days. The pop server rejecting the password. But it seems to be coming and going. I would be unhappy with it gone, I have so many services with that as my contact email. Why change if it ain't broken. And I get so little spam.

Same here. It was the lack of spam that kept me using it.

Yup, after 15 years, I'm still getting little or no spam through this account. Though I hardly ever give away any of my "real" email addresses and use disposables wherever applicable. I'm sure that helped a lot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Its still working fine for me although i might not have noticed the intermittent issues as mails are coming through gmail

as mails are coming through gmail

...how do you do that????

Masala wrote: »
    ...how do you do that????

Google Mail Fetcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I just realised I havent recieved anything in my esatclear inbox for days.

Stupidly I've continued using it all these years, i'd feckin hope that if they were turning it off they'd give notificiations. It's not that hard to check if anyone was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Probably best to get diverts set up, you can use https://mailman.iol.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

JohnBoy wrote: »
    I just realised I havent recieved anything in my esatclear inbox for days.

Stupidly I've continued using it all these years, i'd feckin hope that if they were turning it off they'd give notificiations. It's not that hard to check if anyone was using it.

I thought I was the lone user of esatclear these days :D Since I noticed this thread a few days ago, I've migrated over to gmail. It really was high time I got with the times, & if esatclear was dropped suddenly it'd have been a massive headache for me

Since three days or so I'm getting about 80-100 spam mails per day through IOL (usually I only get maybe 10 in a week, tops), though I hardly ever use this account and very few people have the address. I know of a friend who's experiencing a similar wave of spam though he's using IOL regularly.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Same here, your not on your own, as i dont pay for my IOL account can i contact them and ask for a solution at there end?

Same here as well... mainly Weigh Loss emails from Famous People !!!!

Have started changing my 'account details' on my favourite subscriptions over to my Gmail account. Probably take the guts of a year .. but hope have all sorted by next renewal

Yeah I'm getting loads of spam mainly about weight loss as well

Lockster wrote: »
    Yeah I'm getting loads of spam mainly about weight loss as well

Yep... just in the last hour or two:

7FazFz6.jpg

Enright wrote: »
    Same here, your not on your own, as i dont pay for my IOL account can i contact them and ask for a solution at there end?

IOL, although owned and still kept "alive" by BT is no longer supported. No tech support or customer care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Im using outlook which filters the email, i would prefer to block it at the server

Advertisement