Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options

Comments

muffler wrote: »
    I would like to know the reason for requesting all the personal data such as name, address, phone number etc

When you switch your account over to ourselves we need your contact details in order to create accounts etc., on our systems.

Due to the nature of the service that BT (and its predecessors) were offering they don't have a lot of that information.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When you switch your account over to ourselves we need your contact details in order to create accounts etc., on our systems.

Due to the nature of the service that BT (and its predecessors) were offering they don't have a lot of that information.

Michele
    Thats all well and good but still doesnt explain why you need personal data. If I create a new email account with Yahoo or Google for example I dont have to supply the same level of data or at least thats the way it was in the past.

Thats all well and good but still doesnt explain why you need personal data. If I create a new email account with Yahoo or Google for example I dont have to supply the same level of data or at least thats the way it was in the past.

We need to know who our clients are and having their contact information in order to be able to provide service to them - including being able to provide customer service.

If your concern is that we're going to something untoward with your personal data then please rest assured - we won't.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

I presume the email I received today to my iol email, allegedly from Blacknight, but linked to "donh1@infrastructuresnumeriques.com" is a phishing attempt.

Coincidental or what?

Pain in the butt that I now appear to be targeted by yet another branch of the scammer networks. :-(

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    I presume the email I received today to my iol email, allegedly from Blacknight, but linked to "donh1@infrastructuresnumeriques.com" is a phishing attempt.
    it's a phish
    https://blacknight.blog/scam-emails-targeting-blacknight.html
    GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Coincidental or what?
    Unfortunately yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What happens next? - I have completed the forms for Blackknight. Also - when?

What happens next? - I have completed the forms for Blackknight. Also - when?

BT are doing this in batches, so the next batch to switch to ourselves, which I assume includes you, would be on April 17th - though the email from BT that you got should confirm the exact date.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Meanwhile, every time I try to login to IOL I get dumped, needs two or three tries.

Anyone else having this experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I can’t get email today. Have been getting emails about my account being suspended but the grammar is so bad I presume it’s the spam problem they have. Need to ring them to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Hello,

I just got the email regarding my iolfree account.

Followed the email link to activate the account and have got

"Error 1007: Unable to create mailname because mailname with given name already exist"

error message.

Can @Blacknight: Michele advise?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

We need to know who our clients are and having their contact information in order to be able to provide service to them - including being able to provide customer service.

You really don't if you're not billing. Other ESPs do not require it. I hope you have more solid justification than that for GDPR compliance purposes.

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Hello,

I just got the email regarding my iolfree account.

Followed the email link to activate the account and have got

"Error 1007: Unable to create mailname because mailname with given name already exist"

error message.

Can @Blacknight: Michele advise?

Thank you

Please contact our helpdesk and they'll be able to assist you (hopefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So, is the service going to remain free as it has been for years?

So, is the service going to remain free as it has been for years?

We've committed to offering the service for free for the first year:
    https://www.blacknight.com/savemyemail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I had an iol email account and an esatclear email account back in the day. Can I still access these now and get back into them?
    I don't have the login details anymore though. Would ye be able to reactivate things for me again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had an iol email account and an esatclear email account back in the day. Can I still access these now and get back into them?
    I don't have the login details anymore though. Would ye be able to reactivate things for me again?

I would think your best bet is to contact BT support in the first instance since they hold the email accounts at the moment.

They were very helpful when I last contacted them.

I would think your best bet is to contact BT support in the first instance since they hold the email accounts at the moment.

Exactly
    We have no visibility on which accounts / email addresses exist / existed on their systems until after the user has opted in to move to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Exactly
    We have no visibility on which accounts / email addresses exist / existed on their systems until after the user has opted in to move to us.

Would you have an email address that they would respond to??

Masala wrote: »
    Would you have an email address that they would respond to??

They should be able to address your queries via support@btireland.ie

Everything appears to have gone over now. Had a ptoblem with an address that decided to go into the junk mail bin. Now all sorted.

Great.

• Advertisement

Everything appears to have gone over now. Had a ptoblem with an address that decided to go into the junk mail bin. Now all sorted.

Great.

Good to hear.
    If you have any issues let our helpdesk team know

Michele

Good to hear.
    If you have any issues let our helpdesk team know

Michele

Hi Michele. No emails on my iol.ie email since Tuesday. Do I need to do anything on my Pc. Change setting etc.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing through on my iolfree account about it yet - but its near enough dead. Are BT prioritising active accounts?

Masala wrote: »
    Hi Michele. No emails on my iol.ie email since Tuesday. Do I need to do anything on my Pc. Change setting etc.....???

Please contact our helpdesk directly and they should be able to advise if your account has been switched over to us fully or not.

Michele

L1011 wrote: »
    Nothing through on my iolfree account about it yet - but its near enough dead. Are BT prioritising active accounts?

My understanding is that as long as the account is active they'll keep it running and offer you the option to move to ourselves. If you don't opt-in and complete the signup etc., then the account will be deactivated.
    They have been removing email accounts with no login activity for more than a certain period of time for the last few years, so if you haven't logged in for the last 6 months the account is probably gone.

We can see the accounts that have opted in on our side, but can't see ones that haven't, as we don't have access to data until the opt-in is done.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

My main email account for years has been IOL .Was working well for ages. Can send but not receive any mails since Friday. Anyone else having problems ? It looks like the server is down?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

I am having issues with mine as well. Log on to iol. Ie to view mail and it says problem with server.

I don't know if my e.mail address has been moved over or not. Didn't get an e.mail about it.

Stargate wrote: »
    My main email account for years has been IOL .Was working well for ages. Can send but not receive any mails since Friday. Anyone else having problems ? It looks like the server is down?

Lads thats what I was saying..... but it seems we have to go into the Settings and change the POP addresses for Incoming and Outgoing mail as the old IOL addresses no longer working

It would be great if Black Knight would post a link of 'How to change settings' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

I think you have to be invited - I know I was.
    And I think this is where most of the issues arise.

I can now login via
    https://webmail.email.hosting/

Blacknight have almost covered all the settings options at

https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000094938-BT-legacy-email-access-for-iol-ie-esatclear-ie-iolfree-ie-or-oceanfree-net

HTH

• Advertisement

I appear to have problems that I was unaware of previously.

I can receive emails in outlook - no problems.
    I can send IOL emails to myself from both webmail and from outlook.
    I can send emails from one of my iol accounts to another and vv.
    I can not send emails from those accounts to gmail.com accounts from outlook, they get bounced immediately. - Undeliverable:
    I can send from webmail but it can take 5 or more hours to be delivered.

What can be wrong?

Advertisement