Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options
1234568»

Comments

Sorry about the delay in replying - I was out of the office the last few days.

If you opted in to be moved over to ourselves and you're having issues please contact our helpdesk and our team will try to assist you:
    https://www.blacknight.com/contact/

For settings etc., when you've been moved to ourselves please see:
    https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000094938-BT-legacy-email-access-for-iol-ie-esatclear-ie-iolfree-ie-or-oceanfree-net

Also to contact our helpdesk in a hurry please email help@blacknight.com

Michele

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sorry about the delay in replying - I was out of the office the last few days.

If you opted in to be moved over to ourselves and you're having issues please contact our helpdesk and our team will try to assist you:
    https://www.blacknight.com/contact/

For settings etc., when you've been moved to ourselves please see:
    https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000094938-BT-legacy-email-access-for-iol-ie-esatclear-ie-iolfree-ie-or-oceanfree-net

Also to contact our helpdesk in a hurry please email help@blacknight.com

Michele

I did that and am all sorted - thanks.

I did that and am all sorted - thanks.

Good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

They should be able to address your queries via support@btireland.ie

Would you have a support telephone number for them...nothing back off emails.

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Masala wrote: »
    Would you have a support telephone number for them...nothing back off emails.

thanks

Try calling BT Ireland hq: Tel: 1800 924 929.

They should be able to put you through. Ask for support.

(Well they did for me some time ago!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Thanks Sam.... that worked and they sorted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paul_Carr

My understanding is that as long as the account is active they'll keep it running and offer you the option to move to ourselves. If you don't opt-in and complete the signup etc., then the account will be deactivated.
    They have been removing email accounts with no login activity for more than a certain period of time for the last few years, so if you haven't logged in for the last 6 months the account is probably gone.

We can see the accounts that have opted in on our side, but can't see ones that haven't, as we don't have access to data until the opt-in is done.

Michele

I think this is outrageous! I had an iol.ie account at ppcarr@iol.ie . I used that account to access an old blogspot blog of mine. Now, when I try to access it using what I think is the correct password, I'm told by google that a verification email with a 6 figure number is sent to my *iol email address*.

But, if what you're saying is true, and it looks like it is true, the iol email address has been cancelled so I can't access it ever again. This also means I cannot access my blogspot blog ever again. I had it set so that only people invited could view. I can't get into it.

Surely, there must be a law against that sort of thing.

Does anyone know how I can persuade google to let me access my old blogspot blog? I believe I have both the correct email and password, and, yet, they won't let me in, because I can't retrieve the bleedin' verification number since I can't get into my cancelled-without-my-consent iol.ie email inbox.

Paul_Carr wrote: »
    I think this is outrageous! I had an iol.ie account at ppcarr@iol.ie . I used that account to access an old blogspot blog of mine. Now, when I try to access it using what I think is the correct password, I'm told by google that a verification email with a 6 figure number is sent to my *iol email address*.

But, if what you're saying is true, and it looks like it is true, the iol email address has been cancelled so I can't access it ever again. This also means I cannot access my blogspot blog ever again. I had it set so that only people invited could view. I can't get into it.

Surely, there must be a law against that sort of thing.

Does anyone know how I can persuade google to let me access my old blogspot blog? I believe I have both the correct email and password, and, yet, they won't let me in, because I can't retrieve the bleedin' verification number since I can't get into my cancelled-without-my-consent iol.ie email inbox.

Perhaps you could try this:

Perhaps you could try this:

I rang BT Ireland just now and they said that I received a notification email in April and that my email account was deleted in May. I think it is outrageous what they did. I don't think they have a right to delete an email account without the customer's explicit consent.

I have an old blogspot blog (blogspot is owned by Google). It is linked to my ppcarr@iol.ie account. I can't access it even though I know both the email and password. Google sends out a verification number to my email (ppcarr@iol.ie) but since the account is deleted now, it goes nowhere. Google asks that I input this additional verification number because I am logging into the account from another device. I haven't used the iol.ie account in years. Also, Google has now automatically barred me from attempting to log in because of too many attempts. I can't go into my own blogspot blog to delete it or edit it.

Paul Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I rang BT Ireland just now and they said that I received a notification email in April and that my email account was deleted in May. I think it is outrageous what they did. I don't think they have a right to delete an email account without the customer's explicit consent.

I have an old blogspot blog (blogspot is owned by Google). It is linked to my ppcarr@iol.ie account. I can't access it even though I know both the email and password. Google sends out a verification number to my email (ppcarr@iol.ie) but since the account is deleted now, it goes nowhere. Google asks that I input this additional verification number because I am logging into the account from another device. I haven't used the iol.ie account in years. Also, Google has now automatically barred me from attempting to log in because of too many attempts. I can't go into my own blogspot blog to delete it or edit it.

Paul Carr

I believe there is a method to change your email address in the google set up, but no doubt it would require lots of jumping through hoops to prove you are the owner.
    An email telling you the account is closed should help your case there, if you can get it from BT.

• Advertisement

I believe there is a method to change your email address in the google set up, but no doubt it would require lots of jumping through hoops to prove you are the owner.
    An email telling you the account is closed should help your case there, if you can get it from BT.

That's a good idea. I got an email from BT Ireland just now confirming that my email account (ppcarr@iol.ie) was cancelled. However, I am currently having trouble contacting google directly via email or by any other electronic means to pass on this email.

My understanding is that I cannot change the email address until I get into my google account. I currently cannot get into my google account at ppcarr@iol.ie even though I know the password because I cannot access the 6 figure verification number which is sent to ppcarr@iol.ie (that's been cancelled since May).

I believe my blog was started in September 2005. Google may have a means where I can input that information as a proxy. Currently, though, I am automatically barred from trying to access the account because of too many attempts. It's been around 18 hours at this point since my last attempt was made.

Paul Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So why didn't you keep your email account open like the rest of us had to do?

muffler wrote: »
    So why didn't you keep your email account open like the rest of us had to do?

You don't speak for "the rest of us". I have several email accounts. I don't have time to monitor all of them. It's annoying because it's linked to an old blogspot blog of mine I'd like to delete. I can't do that as I can't get in even though I know the email and password combination. Google sends a verification number to my now non-existing ppcarr@iol.ie because I am logging in from another device. It's also nearly impossible to communicate with a customer service representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You don't speak for "the rest of us".
    I dont claim to speak for anyone other that myself. Im merely pointing out that others who have posted in this thread previously have most likely followed the instructions given by Blacknight and successfully kept their email accounts open. So why didn't you do the same?

I have several email accounts. I don't have time to monitor all of them.
    Strange that. I have several accounts also and manage all of them without any difficulty

It's annoying because it's linked to an old blogspot blog of mine I'd like to delete. I can't do that as I can't get in even though I know the email and password combination. Google sends a verification number to my now non-existing ppcarr@iol.ie because I am logging in from another device. It's also nearly impossible to communicate with a customer service representative.
    With respect I think you have told us that a couple of times now and unless a Blacknight rep offers some assistance I cant see what anyone else can do to help.

muffler wrote: »
    I dont claim to speak for anyone other that myself. Im merely pointing out that others who have posted in this thread previously have most likely followed the instructions given by Blacknight and successfully kept their email accounts open. So why didn't you do the same?

I explained already. I have several email accounts. I don't have time to monitor all of them.
    With respect I think you have told us that a couple of times now and unless a Blacknight rep offers some assistance I cant see what anyone else can do to help.

The Blacknight rep emailed me today. He can do nothing.

He wrote: "I'm afraid we have no record of ppcarr@iol.ie being migrated over to our systems from BT. It looks like it never opted into the migration, the deadline for which has since passed. Unfortunately it won't be possible to migrate it over at this point."

After I replied, he followed up with: "Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to remedy the situation from this end. As no migration was done for this account we have no access to it on our own systems. The decision to delete the account on the BT side and the migration timelines in general were outside of our control. We simply agreed to take on any e-mail accounts that opted into the migration on our systems."

I spoke to a BT Ireland representative earlier today and he claimed that a notification was sent out in April this year to my ppcarr@iol.ie account and then my account was cancelled in May. I'm sceptical about that claim. I suspect my email account was down for several years. I had some server space that went with it and that has been down for several years. I'm pretty certain that, if indeed, they did send out a notification to me in April, they would have got an automatic message back that the account was already non existent at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Your only recourse would appear to be Google, and attempt to persuade them that you are who you claim to be.

I guess this points up the reason why alternative means of contacting the owner is important ..... which reminds me that I need to attend to some of mine because alternative email addresses change over the years.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread.

BT and ourselves announced back in February of this year that we would be taking over the free email services running on IOL.ie EsatClear and Oceanfree (https://blacknight.blog/blacknight-is-taking-over-the-iol-esat-oceanfree-email-services.html )

BT sent out multiple notices to active email users letting them know what was happening with the service and over the course of several months users who opted in were moved over to ourselves.

Unfortunately there was a cut off date and that passed several months ago (https://blacknight.blog/final-call-on-iol-email.html )

At this stage there isn't anything we can do for people who didn't choose to move over.

Michele

Your only recourse would appear to be Google, and attempt to persuade them that you are who you claim to be.

I guess this points up the reason why alternative means of contacting the owner is important ..... which reminds me that I need to attend to some of mine because alternative email addresses change over the years.

Well, it would appear that I have been extremely unlucky. If what Blacknight and BT Ireland say is correct, then my account could have been salvaged up to May this year. I'm pretty certain that my ppcarr@iol.ie was deactivated way back in 2011 without my consent. That included the limited server space that they gave me to upload media.

I could not have received anything in 2019 from BT Ireland because my email account (ppcarr@iol.ie ) was deactivated.

I've got a blogspot blog linked to my ppcarr@iol.ie account that I want to delete. I can't do that unless I can log into it first. Google, which owns blogspot, wants me to input an additional 6 figure verification number despite the fact I know the original email and password combination because I am using a different device. Since that 6 figure verification number goes to a deleted email (ppcarr@iol.ie ) I can't get it.

It also makes it more difficult for me to remove archived snapshots from archive.org since I need to prove to them that the snapshots from the blog I want them to remove are indeed from my blog.

I've got a blogspot blog linked to my ppcarr@iol.ie account that I want to delete. I can't do that unless I can log into it first. Google, which owns blogspot, wants me to input an additional 6 figure verification number despite the fact I know the original email and password combination because I am using a different device. Since that 6 figure verification number goes to a deleted email (ppcarr@iol.ie ) I can't get it.

It also makes it more difficult for me to remove archived snapshots from archive.org since I need to prove to them that the snapshots from the blog I want them to remove are indeed from my blog.

Could you not use the 'Right to erasure'?

https://gdpr-info.eu/issues/right-to-be-forgotten/

Could you not use the 'Right to erasure'?

https://gdpr-info.eu/issues/right-to-be-forgotten/

To avail of that right, I would have to prove to archive.org that I am who I say I am; that the blog belongs to me.

Your link states: "However, the identity of the data subject must be proven in a suitable way."

I contacted archive.org today to ask them to remove archived snapshots for a blogspot blog that I believe is linked to ppcarr@iol.ie for the purposes of logging into it . The only play I have at this time is that the archived snapshots I want them to remove have a photo of me from 2005 (profile picture). I forwarded them a copy of my passport with a photo of me from 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Anyone having issues logging into pop.iolfree.ie ?

Anyone having issues logging into pop.iolfree.ie ?

I use iol.ie and have no problems.

I login using url]https://webmail.email.hosting/[/url and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

I use iol.ie and have no problems.

I login using url]https://webmail.email.hosting/[/url and it works fine.

Hello Sam,

are you sure you are receiving all incoming messages? I can login using Blacknight too but I suspect I may have lost messages since this began yesterday. I also use Outlook, but get the following error :

M

I am receiving messages. I cannot tell if there some not getting through.

If your IOL email was moved to ourselves please contact our helpdesk and we can try to assist you.

pop.iolfree.ie is not managed by us, so if your mail was moved to us I'm not sure why you'd be using it.

Michele

Advertisement