Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you eat kangaroo?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

A couple of the lads I work with load up on kangaroo meat before a heavy training session, they reckon its the best source of lean protein on the go. I have eaten it a couple of times just to try it, though couldn't see myself eating it 3-4 times a week.

It doesn't have all the growth hormones and shite that beef has obviously because its wild, but apparently can carry high levels of E.coli.

Does anyone eat vast amounts of it and how do you like it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Feelgood wrote: »
    A couple of the lads I work with load up on kangaroo meat before a heavy training session, they reckon its the best source of lean protein on the go. I have eaten it a couple of times just to try it, though couldn't see myself eating it 3-4 times a week.

It doesn't have all the growth hormones and shite that beef has obviously because its wild, but apparently can carry high levels of E.coli.

I had some a few months ago, thought it was a bit flavourless. However, the farm I'm working on at the moment insist that the store bought roo is muck and to get really good roo you gotta eat it fresh. We're hunting some in a few days so that should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I had some a few months ago, thought it was a bit flavourless. However, the farm I'm working on at the moment insist that the store bought roo is muck and to get really good roo you gotta eat it fresh. We're hunting some in a few days so that should be interesting.

Yeah, you could say same about any meat though, if most people ever tasted proper lamb or beef they'd never eat supermarket sh1te again.

Roo is ok, generally wouldn't bother with it as prefer good lamb or beef as my protein....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I really like it although i wouldn't have
    More than once a week. It's really nice oven roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭gOst

The culinary appeal of kangaroo is somewhat diminished when you regularly see them with their internal organs projected through their ass courtesy of a 30 tonne road train!! Bon apetite!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

It's normally fairly cheap when compared to beef or lamb here too, so there are obvious benefits there.
    I think it tastes good in strips in fajitas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Have it the odd time, I find it a bit gamey, strong in taste for my liking.
    Don't overcook it or it gets dry and chewy; medium rare & cook it fast on a hot heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's much lower in fat than beef. Kangaroo mince is far leaner than even the extra lean beef youcan buy, but it doesn't have the ridiculous markup.
    Mammals have e.coli in their gut. Cows and kangaroo are no different in that regard. But there is none in the meat, if there was it wouldn't be pretty.
    Have it the odd time, I find it a bit gamey, strong in taste for my liking.
    Don't overcook it or it gets dry and chewy; medium rare & cook it fast on a hot heat.
    Thats exactly why I like it. I like gamey flavours, and cook all my steak mid-rare.

I buy kangaroo mince and steak regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I love Kangaroo meat and eat it twice per week. But it is not to everyone's taste. And you need to eat it medium rare at most otherwise it turns to leather.

Advertisement