Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your rental deposit cover?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi there,

I just have a query about the deposit we're all asked for when we start renting a new property.

A few months ago I moved into an apartment. All seemed fine for a while until a new upstairs neighbour moved in and all of a sudden I wasn't sleeping. This lout though nothing of staying up until all hours during the week, as his work schedule seemed to consist of him working one day, not working the next. He was warned and while he cut out his more loutish behaviour, he was still a nuisance. There were also serious noise issues in this particular apartment block, so the quality of the build was poor to start with.

To cut a longish story short, I decided to cut and run. I told the estate agent I was moving out and proceeded to do just that. I left them a considerable deposit, and felt that was the end of it.

I am now getting calls from a dept collection group, which I am ignoring as they ring from an UNKNOWN number, and I'm assuming this is in relation to some small bills that were outstanding when I left the apartment.

At the time I felt that was what my deposit was for. That is, covering any outstanding bills and damages to the property. Not that there were any. I left the place in better shape than when I moved in.

So just curious what the story is here? Do I need to go back and sort out these bills or should I just ignore these calls? I don't want any black marks hanging over me, credit wise.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Did you have bills in your name, utilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Why don't you answer and find out? What is the worst that can happen if you answer the phone? If there are unpaid utility bills in your name, that's probably what they are calling about. A deposit covers damages to the property or arrears in rent etc, not bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Thanks for the replies.

One of the bills (electricity) was in my name, the other (gas) was out. Also, they have no postal address for me at this moment, only a phone number.

I spoke with the estate agent this morning and it seems there has been some almighty c0ck up with the gas bill in that charges relating to the previous tenant were not cleared. Seems the tenant left money to clear this, so it's fallen into landlord's lap.

I left no arrears in rent. It was paid up until the weekend I left, and as I mentioned, the place was in perfect condition when I left. Actually had to spend more time cleaning the place up when I moved in.

well it's just that the bills in your name are separate to any rent agreement, any bills in your name would surely have to be cleared? Re the gas bill, if it wasn't in your name, did you have an agreement with the landlord to pay it each month?

Of course, there may be a separate issue with you breaking your lease, did you leave during a leasE?

Yes, I left half way through the lease, as I simply couldn't sleep in the place!

I discussed this with the estate agent (never dealt with landlord) and the end result was I lost my deposit, which was fine. I did sign the lease, after all.

As for the gas bill, during my time there I forwarded at least 2 bills to the agent querying the large outstanding amount but I never paid any of it. I wanted to pay what I owed, but I simply never heard back from anyone on it.

It's all small potatoes really, as the amounts involved are pretty negligible, but I was maybe mistaken that the deposit would cover these.

• Advertisement

It might be small potatoes but you really should sort it out, these things can escalate!
    Not to be too picky, but you really shouldn't have opened the gas bill if it wasn't addressed to you.
    Now, did you take readings when you moved in and out? If so I would calculate exactly what was owed for your time living there. Contact the agent and suggest these amounts are taken out of the deposit you left.
    Re the lease itself, well technically you can be pursued for the remainder of the lease, so again, I would contact the agent, to see if you can come to an arrangement. No point having it hanging over you!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

You broke the lease, therefore you lost your deposit. Deposits are there for a kind of insurance for the landlord, in the event that their tenants break the lease, leave rent arrears or have damaged the property.

Bills are a completely separate issue. If the ESB was in your name, it's up to you to clear it and remove your name from the bill when you leave. If the bill is due to arrive, after you leave- you leave additional money with the agent to cover it.

I wouldn't worry about the gas bill as it's not in your name so they can't chase you for that.

Just pay what you own for the electricity bill and it's all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Yes you need to pay your bills up to the date you move out. The deposit is for the property tenancy, and nothing to do with whatever services you wanted when you were living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

I wouldn't worry about the gas bill as it's not in your name so they can't chase you for that.

Just pay what you own for the electricity bill and it's all sorted.

If he was living there and using gas, it's entirely reasonable for them to pursue him for unpaid bills.

Basically the OPs question is

Along with breaking my lease contract, I also want to avoid paying the bills for the gas an electricity I used. But, some bad men want me to pay? Are they in the right or am I?

I mean FFS, what sort of country is this!!?

On the day you left, if you took last meter reading for ESB, then they should have your account details and what you owe up to date. The agent should be able to give you any electric bill that came to the property - you can even call ESB and pay them over the phone.

• Advertisement

n900guy wrote: »
    If he was living there and using gas, it's entirely reasonable for them to pursue him for unpaid bills.

Basically the OPs question is

Along with breaking my lease contract, I also want to avoid paying the bills for the gas an electricity I used. But, some bad men want me to pay? Are they in the right or am I?

I mean FFS, what sort of country is this!!?

Some people will read the very opposite into what you write on boards like this.

No, that is not the question I asked, and if you take the time to read the original post you'll see that.

I simply asked if my deposit covered any outstanding unpaid bills. Yes, the lease was broken, but only after it was discussed with the estate agent, who accepted my decision to move out, and my deposit was lost. You think I should have continued living in an apartment where I was sleeping only every second night? That little was done on the part of the landlord to alleviate the noise issue was overlooked by me at the time as I simply wanted out of the place.

I queried the gas bill at least twice, but have still to hear anything back from the estate agent. I have since cleared up the electricity bill.

And as for what this has to do with the state of the country, I'm not very sure. Listen to Joe Duffy much?

And thanks to those of you who gave good and useful information.

It's being cleared up as we speak. Appeciate it.

If the bill in your name is taken care of, then there isn't really anything to worry about. If you didn't give a month's notice, landlord is entitled to keep deposit. I would ask the agent to let you know what gas was used from when you moved in to when you moved out (in costs). It is still a mystery as to why a collection agency is calling you though... since you have not appeared to have left any debt.

Advertisement