Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tintern Abbey - Anyone Been ?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

It's burnt. The reception area and coffee shop are no more and are roped off after a suspected arson attack. Entry to the abbey is now free for the foreseeable future until the gutted parts are rebuilt. Still €3 to get into the restored walled garden behind though (longish walk involved to get to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

RadioRetro wrote: »
    It's burnt. The reception area and coffee shop are no more and are roped off after a suspected arson attack. Entry to the abbey is now free for the foreseeable future until the gutted parts are rebuilt. Still €3 to get into the restored walled garden behind though (longish walk involved to get to it).

Really?? Wow, thats unbelieveable. I was there about two years ago and the main building was being refurbed, cant believe it was burnt down.

At the time, I thought it was a pretty cool place, albeit not very much there. shame to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

RadioRetro wrote: »

Whoooo

I was there the other day and only learned about the fire in the cafe/reception, it was 2 weeks ago and it was due to Robbery and Arson (assholes that did this, what's the point to this mindless vandalism, grrrr). I got in complimentary as it was National Heritage Day and didn't realise it was free for the foreseeable.

I thought it was a great tour and well worth the trip, the guide was great and gave us great information. Well worth the spin, highly recommended.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ah no, ffs!!Still worth a visit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hav'nt been there since the fire , but that would not put us off........well worth a visit , .

Great walk and we bought an annual ticket to the walled gardens for a tenner .... family of 4 .

Even if its raining , you would get great shelter from the trees along its walkways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Well worth a visit. The restored bits you can get in to are interesting , some great craftsmanship going into the restoration. Didn't make it in to the walled garden, but the rest of the grounds, forest walks etc are lovely.
    Combined with a trip down to nearby Hook Lighthouse, a grand day out!

Advertisement