Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synology NAS

Options
  • 03-08-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have a Synology Nas? I recently purchases a DS212 and have some questions in relation to security/encryption etc.

I'll wait to see if anyone has one before I get into it.

Cheers,

Al

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have the DS212J if you have some questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Great, hope you can help.

I've transferred all my music/pictures/videos over to the DS212 and everything is working great.

However, the other night I forgot the admin password to log into it for a few hours. I was just about to press the reset button on it when I remembered the password.

It got me thinking though. If someone was to steal the device, all they would have to do is press the reset button on it which would then give them full admin access to the files and folders.

So is there anything I can do to stop unauthorised access to the device if it was stolen?
    I've been doing a small bit of reading on encrypting the folders on the DS212 but the User Guide tells you not to tick the "automatically mount on startup" button as it would be a security issue. This is where I'm getting fairly confused.

At the minute, I have a Mac and a Windows 7 PC that can access the DS212. I've gone through the process of mapping the DS212 folders to the computers so when I turn these computers on, I can see the shared folders on the DS212. I'm assuming this is called mounting but I could be completely wrong.
    So if I encrypt the DS212 folders and do not tick the "automatically mount on startup" button, will I no longer be able to see these folders when I turn my computers on?

This would be a bit of a pain in the ass as I would have to keep entering passwords when accessing the folders.

If this is the case, is there any other easy solution? What way have you set it up?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Advertisement