Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rape is terrible but murder is grand?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It depends on the individual case, a violent rape can be worse than a painless death and vice versa

In terms of the actual trauma of the experience yes. And no doubt that would be a difficult thing to recover from. My point was that at least potentially you might recover, with the right help and support. You don't 'recover' from murder. Ever.

But I'm aware that a violent serial rapist could be a much more dangerous individual than a heat-of-the-moment murderer and arguably deserves a longer sentence since he's a greater threat to society. Which does happen in some American states (though not so much in Ireland where everybody gets a suspended sentence it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Its actions like directly above that make me wish there was a dislike button on boards.ie especially if you read Grindles reasoned posts through this thread.

awaits infraction :(

I assume you mean the banning.

Do his earlier posts make his stupid, unfunny joke acceptable, particularly given that many people in the thread had previously articulately expressed why such jokes are found distasteful by many? Not to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Yes its after hours, there's plenty of crap offensive jokes here all the time it only seems certain ones are actioned though (and no I don't report because thats what I expect from this forum, if it was in Humanities etc it would be different).
    ps I don't find the jokes funny I just see the outright bannings as strange in comparison to the male rape thread a couple of weeks ago.

Yes its after hours, there's plenty of crap offensive jokes here all the time it only seems certain ones are actioned though (and no I don't report because thats what I expect from this forum, if it was in Humanities etc it would be different).
    ps I don't find the jokes funny I just see the outright bannings as strange in comparison to the male rape thread a couple of weeks ago.

Check out the AH feedback thread in, um, feedback ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Tordelback wrote: »
    a man, in a position of power accorded him by society and accident of birth

I agreed with your post right up until that line. It is unfortunate that there exist certain bad things you are more likely to encounter as a result of your gender, but I reject the idea that my life is made easier for me or that I have certain privileges because I happen to be a man. I'd like to think that if I were a woman in the exact same family and neighbourhood that I would take the exact same amount of responsibility for my life as I do as a man. Specifically, I think rape jokes are unacceptable to make, regardless of whether you're a man or a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't report because thats what I expect from this forum, if it was in Humanities etc it would be different

Just because it's ah doesn't mean people wont get offended. I got an infraction just a few days ago for jokingly saying "stfu and get yer tits out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Check out the AH feedback thread in, um, feedback ;)

Twelve pages :mad: well looks like I'l be gone for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Yes, there was a need for an apology. While some people find those comments funny, a lot of people find them highly offensive, for good reason.

Souness apologised a split second after saying it, and the presenter apologised too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

there's plenty of crap offensive jokes here all the time it only seems certain ones are actioned though ... I just see the outright bannings as strange in comparison to the male rape thread a couple of weeks ago.

You mean the thread discussing an actual male rape that had to be shut down within hours because of the tasteless jokes about the victim? Where infractions were handed out, posts were deleted and at least one user was banned within those few hours? The thread which ended with the mod closure explanation?
    Disaster of a thread. Rape isnt funny.
    Locked.

Seems perfectly consistent to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Sharrow wrote: »
    When your dead your dead.
    If you survive a rape or attempted murder or anything very traumatic you have to try and live with it and the post traumatic stress it causes you for the rest of your life, it can make the rest of your life a living hell.

Pretty much that.
    So you'd rather be murdered?

Boskowski wrote: »
    So you'd rather be murdered?

A lot of rape victims have suicidal thoughts, have attempted suicide, or have actually committed suicide. That would certainly make you think that for those people, they would prefer to be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Souness apologised a split second after saying it, and the presenter apologised too.

I didn't watch it tbh. When the poster asked should RTE apologise, I assumed no apology had been given. If the person saying it apologised, then I don't think there's much need for RTE to apologise too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sharrow wrote: »
    When your dead your dead.
    If you survive a rape or attempted murder or anything very traumatic you have to try and live with it and the post traumatic stress it causes you for the rest of your life, it can make the rest of your life a living hell.

Pretty much that.

Well I would rate them both equally bad. A murder victim maybe gone but their relatives are left behind to cope with what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I wouldn't use it any other way to be honest unless I was describing the crime of rape. In fact, I don't know what other way you could use it...

Well say you're out with your friends, you know none of them have been affected by rape personally, girls included. And you know they know you're a decent person and you don't actually think rape is funny and make a remark or a joke regarding rape in general - and I don't mean a joke about a woman getting raped, because that is NOT funny.

The thing about that is is that it's nearly impossible to know who has or who hasn't been, even if you think you're sure they haven't been. The support thread in TLL was just utterly breathtaking in how many posters, new and long-term, had been a victim of or knew a victim of sexual assault, molestation or rape. It's something that I would advise no one ever takes as a given that they don't know someone who has been a victim.

I understand that there's no bad thought or intention behind a lot of people who use the word casually but it's worth remembering that for someone else it could be a horrible reminder of a traumatic event in their life that you may not know about.

I think comparing murder and rape in terms of how bad they are is missing the point a tad.
    As others have already explained more intelligently, the issue is more about idiomatic language.
    Plenty of phrases associated with murder and killing in general have long entered the vernacular and become disassociated from any literal meaning. In addition, murder or its threat is not as immediate a fact of life as rape is for most people.
    Yet such is not the case with rape, with jokes about and phrases referencing rape generally being more offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

men are the primary victims of murder and other violent crimes so it's ok to joke about, women are the primary victims of rape (generally.. I think in some countries it's the other way around if you count prison rape.. which I dont see why you wouldn't) and since women = good, men = bad it's not ok to joke about.
    Who says/thinks that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I think comparing murder and rape in terms of how bad they are is missing the point a tad.
    As others have already explained more intelligently, the issue is more about idiomatic language.
    Plenty of phrases associated with murder and killing in general have long entered the vernacular and become disassociated from any literal meaning. In addition, murder or its threat is not as immediate a fact of life as rape is for most people.
    Yet such is not the case with rape, with jokes about and phrases referencing rape generally being more offensive.

The reason murder is more idiomatic language and rape is not is down to social conditioning, it's not down to subtleties such as more people are raped than murdered or any of the other suggestions already mentioned.

Why is "retard" now much more acceptable than "rape" ? The answer is social conditioning, rightly or wrongly it's drilled into our heads how wrong rape is whereas not so much with torture and murder.

There are countless people affected by those who are handicapped mentally yet using "retard" isn't nearly as taboo as "rape".

It's interesting how people want to rationalise away their emotional responses so readily, instead of actually examining your responses critically and not assuming they are correct. Just look at this thread, so many posters frantically scurrying to come up with convoluted reasoning why the emotions they feel must be valid and make sense.

By accepting your emotional response to "rape" is illogical you must accept that your values are so easily influenced by the others/media and not many want to do that, it's ego bruising.

The reason murder is more idiomatic language and rape is not is down to social conditioning, it's not down to subtleties such as more people are raped than murdered or any of the other suggestions already mentioned.

Why is "retard" now much more acceptable than "rape" ? The answer is social conditioning, rightly or wrongly it's drilled into our heads how wrong rape is whereas not so much with torture and murder.

There are countless people affected by those who are handicapped mentally yet using "retard" isn't nearly as taboo as "rape".

Just rightly, surely. I don't see what could be wrong about telling people rape is wrong.
    If people are reminded that rape is wrong a lot, it's because there are still people in the world who don't treat rape very seriously, or who at least partially blame the victim.

Whereas everyone knows that murder is wrong. And though some people might argue in favour of the merits of torture in some cases, they'd never argue against how unpleasant torture is. That's the point of it.

People don't need to be told that murder and torture are bad things, it's obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Just rightly, surely. I don't see what could be wrong about telling people rape is wrong.
    If people are reminded that rape is wrong a lot, it's because there are still people in the world who don't treat rape very seriously, or who at least partially blame the victim.

Whereas everyone knows that murder is wrong. And though some people might argue in favour of the merits of torture in some cases, they'd never argue against how unpleasant torture is. That's the point of it.

People don't need to be told that murder and torture are bad things, it's obvious.

How many people think rape is ok? If you set up an anonymous poll on boards I doubt many would think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think we can all agree that both are bad.

This is the third thread on this topic in AH within about a year and the previous one's didn't work out well, as this did(n't)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement