Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New neighbours signed up to UPC, now service is gone wonky!

• 03-08-2012 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

HI

Just wondering (before I spend a few hours on the phone) has anybody come across this... We use 4 different devices for the WiFi so i don;t think it's a fault with any of them!

Every now and again the broadband cuts out, up until new neighbour moved in and got broadband/telly installed our service was pretty smooth but lately it jst shuts down when clicking on a link ..(the WiFi signal still appears as working sometimes but other times it is in the process of connecting).

This is the picture that comes up, it says error 324 but can;t find any info on the net or here on boards when I search http___www.boards.ie_ failed to load.jpg
    It usually only lasts a few minutes but the odd time it can be off for about an hour..

The neighbour thing might just be a coincidence..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Armelodie wrote: »
    HI

Every now and again the broadband cuts out, up until new neighbour moved in and got broadband/telly installed our service was pretty smooth but lately it jst shuts down when clicking on a link ..(the WiFi signal still appears as working sometimes but other times it is in the process of connecting).

Could be they are using the default wifi channel and you are using the default too, try changing channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Cheers, excuse my pig ignorance.... but how do you change the channel (sounds like something my ma would have said in 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Cheers, excuse my pig ignorance.... but how do you change the channel (sounds like something my ma would have said in 1982)

What does your modem look like and I will give you the number to log into it to change the channel it is operating on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

bealtine wrote: »
    HI

Could be they are using the default wifi channel and you are using the default too, try changing channels

Have same issue here more likely its the channel, what channel would you suggest besides 6 or do I just pick a random one and hope for the best :D

25qgqk1.jpg

192.168.11 for the one on the left

192.168.0.1 for the one on the right

You put the correct number in your address bar in your browser and you log into your modem.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Have same issue here more likely its the channel, what channel would you suggest besides 6 or do I just pick a random one and hope for the best :D

The wireless only has a very limited range and unless the offender is next door most of the other channels should be fine.

Try one if its fine well then fine if its not try another.

Ranicand wrote: »
    stevek93 wrote: »

The wireless only has a very limited range and unless the offender is next door most of the other channels should be fine.

Try one if its fine well then fine if its not try another.

At the moment its set at six which seems to be the default on most modems/routers. Ill try one and see what happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Had the same problem myself this morning, Half the street started using channel six, moved to channel three an now everything is grand again

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Channels 1,6,11 are the channels that dont overlap (interfere) with each other at all so see which of them is unused in your area and go for that. My rule of thumb is go for 11..nobody ever picks 11 :)

mecco wrote: »
    Channels 1,6,11 are the channels that dont overlap (interfere) with each other at all so see which of them is unused in your area and go for that. My rule of thumb is go for 11..nobody ever picks 11 :)

But they will now.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

you can get a free phone app which scans all channels and shows how congested they are.

you can get a free phone app which scans all channels and shows how congested they are.

Sooooo whats the name of it? Is it on google/play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

probably should have included the name - wifi analyzer on Android.

probably should have included the name - wifi analyzer on Android.

Cheers ya looks like 9-11 are busy.. wonder if it works..probably take a day or 2 before I gt a chance to try it

Just got it working perfect thanks to that app. No one touch channel one :D

Advertisement