Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish" Flag in Tramore

Options
  • 03-08-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Does anyone know the meaning of the flag on the main roundabout in Tramore (one with the boat)? It's a tri-colour with a map of (all of) Ireland (green) on the white of the tri-colour. I would hate to think that it had any sectarian connotations as it's the first thing you see coming into Tramore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Jenny1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the meaning of the flag on the main roundabout in Tramore (one with the boat)? It's a tri-colour with a map of (all of) Ireland (green) on the white of the tri-colour. I would hate to think that it had any sectarian connotations as it's the first thing you see coming into Tramore.

Ummmm, not sure what your question is there, it's an Irish flag with a map of Ireland on it, maybe you're reading a bit much into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

don't worry about it went up around paddys day , I believe , personally I think its very appropriate to welcome tourists to an Irish seaside town

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Jeez, tis little would bother some people...
    maybe twas for the people with the yellow registration plates who visit around July 12th!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The roundabout is sponsored by a private business. They effectively can do what they want, within reason. As its a seaside town they put in a boat and made the area look like it was in water. The same company, in addition to trying to clean up the roundabout and make it look nice, also clean the beaches from time to time.

They put up buntings and different things depending on whats happening around Waterford. Waterford Flags for the hurlers for example. For Paddy's Day there was more Irish themed signage around it.

The Irish flag at the top is, I assume, to show its an Irish vessel. You would often see flags on boats so I always assumed that was why they added it. What is unusual is having the map on the tri-colour which isn't common. As it includes counties under British rule, I can see why people think there is more to it. Perhaps there is a small political message attached, but as long as they don't take it a step to far and advertise political parties, events, referendums, campaigns etc. then I think we can just take it as a nice addition.

Sully wrote: »
    The roundabout is sponsored by a private business. They effectively can do what they want, within reason. As its a seaside town they put in a boat and made the area look like it was in water. The same company, in addition to trying to clean up the roundabout and make it look nice, also clean the beaches from time to time.

They put up buntings and different things depending on whats happening around Waterford. Waterford Flags for the hurlers for example. For Paddy's Day there was more Irish themed signage around it.

The Irish flag at the top is, I assume, to show its an Irish vessel. You would often see flags on boats so I always assumed that was why they added it. What is unusual is having the map on the tri-colour which isn't common. As it includes counties under British rule, I can see why people think there is more to it. Perhaps there is a small political message attached, but as long as they don't take it a step to far and advertise political parties, events, referendums, campaigns etc. then I think we can just take it as a nice addition.

TBH it would look like a strange green blob to most people if you only printed the 26 counties on the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TBH it would look like a strange green blob to most people if you only printed the 26 counties on the thing.

You generally don't put any reference to the counties tho. Its usually done by those campaigning or strong supporters for the campaign for all Irish Rule.

Sully wrote: »

You generally don't put any reference to the counties tho. Its usually done by those campaigning or strong supporters for the campaign for all Irish Rule.

Or maybe that's just the first flag they found when they went into the shop!

I'll be passing it in a few minutes, and I must look out for it because I have to say I've never even noticed the flag on the boat before, and I pass it several times a day... the busy eyes and minds of busybodies are sharper than mine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Flag has now gone, bunting is still there but no Irish flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Jenny1 wrote: »

Going a little off topic, but why do people who say they love their country and all it stands for, put all sort of things on our National Flag. It is very common with soccer supporters who put the names of different pubs etc on it.

looksee wrote: »

Most likely because of the GAA club being in Celebrity Bainisteoir, and the roundabout being redecorated in blue & white accordingly.

Either that of because of the internet furore whipped up on this thread... :D

• Advertisement

Black Suir wrote: »
    Going a little off topic, but why do people who say they love their country and all it stands for, put all sort of things on our National Flag. It is very common with soccer supporters who put the names of different pubs etc on it.

:confused:
    What's the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

:confused:
    What's the problem with that?

Probably because it's unconstitutional. From the Department of the Taoiseach... 17 The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events

vektarman wrote: »
    Probably because it's unconstitutional. From the Department of the Taoiseach... 17 The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events

That's a fail I'm afraid!

Guidelines for the use of the national flag issued by the Dept of the Taoiseach are not the same thing as the Constitution, not even close!

Not only should the flag not be defaced by additional images, it should not be left flying overnight and not allowed to get tatty from lack of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

It's back up today

wellboy76 wrote: »

It's back up today

Yeah I noticed it over the weekend. I'm only a couple of minutes away, maybe I should go and confiscate it...

Forget to mention when I previously responded to this, a tricolour with writing on it is arguably not in fact a flag, but rather is just a tricolour with some writing on it...?!

Forget to mention when I previously responded to this, a tricolour with writing on it is arguably not in fact a flag, but rather is just a tricolour with some writing on it...?!

And as brains fry all over Boards trying to work out the logic of that argument!

It amuses me that out of all the problems the town may have, people are picking on this relatively minor issue?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I've always thought it was a bit bizarre how people show their pride in their national flag by defacing it (or wearing it as underpants).
    If certain foreigners did the same thing to it there would be riots.

• Advertisement

Cedrus wrote: »
    I've always thought it was a bit bizarre how people show their pride in their national flag by defacing it (or wearing it as underpants).
    If certain foreigners did the same thing to it there would be riots.

And I think it's bizarre that you think a pair of underpants in the colours of our flag, is a defaced flag - To me it's a pair of underpants that MIMIC our flag!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Jasus, Tawdy has had an Irish flag there for ages, and not a word about it!! He didn't bring it to mars though!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80485121&postcount=7989

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

And I think it's bizarre that you think a pair of underpants in the colours of our flag, is a defaced flag - To me it's a pair of underpants that MIMIC our flag!

hmmmm or maybe a flag that mimics underpants, what says the dept of the Taoiseach on this ??:D

Advertisement