Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest eureka moment in gaming

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but 32 bit was when 3D came into its own, eg Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, that was when everyone knew about 3D, that's when it became crystallised, when 2D shifted to 3D and it was with the advent of the 32 bit.

For consoles maybe. 3D an pseudo 3D games like Doom had been on PC and home micros for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Yeah but 32 bit was when 3D came into its own, eg Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, that was when everyone knew about 3D, that's when it became crystallised, when 2D shifted to 3D and it was with the advent of the 32 bit.

I think the SNES was the first mainstream console to take 3d to the masses with Starwing and the famed 3dfx chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For consoles maybe. 3D an pseudo 3D games like Doom had been on PC and home micros for a long time.

Doom was definately 32 bit. I mean yeah it could run on the SNES but that was like zero tolerance on the megadrive, faux 32 bit. Doom could only run properly on consoles like the 32x. What is the bittage of modern day consoles? The bittage marketing angle seemed to die off after the N64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Who is indisputably the most important person in Vault 101: He who shelters us from the harshness of the atomic wasteland, and to whom we owe everything we have, including our lives?

-The Overseer
    -The Overseer
    -The Overseer
    -The Overseer

Still makes me laugh :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doom was definately 32 bit. I mean yeah it could run on the SNES but that was like zero tolerance on the megadrive, faux 32 bit. Doom could only run properly on consoles like the 32x. What is the bittage of modern day consoles? The bittage marketing angle seemed to die off after the N64.

'bits' were only really a marketing tool. The intellivision from 1979 was 16-bit but is no where near the power of later 68000 based 16-bit machines like the Megadrive or Amiga. Also the 8-bit PC Engine had a 8-bit CPU but was more than a match for it's 16-bit rival the Megadrive since it was so fast. Funnily enough the SNES version of Doom runs better than the 32X and 3DO versions, this time proper coding being the deciding factor. 32-bit also doesn't automatically mean 3D graphics either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement