Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mariners logbook

• 03-08-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

hi,

just wondering if there is a generic mariners logbook out there, which the master signs and stamps you on and off? Any links to where I can buy one?

Not a qualified crew, but do regular survey work and would like to have some sort of record for myself.

thanks,

James

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Here are the criteria for applying for a seaman's discharge book

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=11597&lang=ENG&loc=2344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Excellent, thanks. Thats got everything i need.

The form is only available from the mercanitle marine offices. Do you know if they will post these out? Does anyone know what the fee is? I think the fee's are listed on the form.

I'll give them a buzz next week sure.

I rang the Dublin Mercantile Marine Office and he is posting out the new application form.

Looking through the requirements, I need my application to be endorsed by employer. As I am not directly employed by any shipping company, do you think I can simply get my supervisor to sign it (currently employed as postgrad in commercial fisheries research). (I forgot to ask when I rang).

thanks,

James

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Best you ring them back and ask directly as only they can give a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember rightly a person applying for the discharge licence needed as well as the above criteria a minimum of 2 years sea service, eg, if a person was working week on/week off, they would be reqd. to be working for 4 years with an employer. However as said initially I may be wrong and perhaps mixing it up with the CPSC ticket. It might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember rightly a person applying for the discharge licence needed as well as the above criteria a minimum of 2 years sea service, eg, if a person was working week on/week off, they would be reqd. to be working for 4 years with an employer. However as said initially I may be wrong and perhaps mixing it up with the CPSC ticket. It might be worth checking out.

Pretty sure that is wrong, how would you prove your sea time to be elegable to get the discharge book? Surely that's what the discharge book is for. Cadets are certainly issued with their book (and ID card) before they go to sea.

Once I get the forms, I'll update everyone on whats involved. Might be useful information for this forum!

thanks,

James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Hi James

Was in a similar situation to you at one point I think

Hope I'm wrong but had been working a sea for a number of years when was told on phone by the Mercantile Marine Office in Dublin that I could not unless working as staff for a shipping company.

In their eyes we are not seamen as we normally sign on a project crew rather than vessel crew. Only time have been vessel crew was on cable ships.

Afterwards, got a British discharge book in Aberdeen with no fuss, walk in with a letter from then employer (Survey/ROV outfit with their own vessels), issued in half an hour or so while waiting.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and info.

I received the forms and promptly rang the mercantile office in Dublin. I explained my situation, and asked could I just get my line manager/supervisor in university to sign it and stamp with the college stamp. The guy on the phone told me as long as it is stamped its fine. He did'nt seem interested in discussing it further, nor bothered that i wasnt attached to any shipping company, so I left it at that.

Ill update when i can.

thanks,

James

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and info.

I received the forms and promptly rang the mercantile office in Dublin. I explained my situation, and asked could I just get my line manager/supervisor in university to sign it and stamp with the college stamp. The guy on the phone told me as long as it is stamped its fine. He did'nt seem interested in discussing it further, nor bothered that i wasnt attached to any shipping company, so I left it at that.

Ill update when i can.

thanks,

James

Yep, you were definitely speaking with the guys in the Mercantile Office :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sorry, just to keep this alive. i havent sent in application to Mercantile, as they require your passport, and i have a trip with work coming up and dont trust them to not loose it :)

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

James

Application has been with them for a few weeks now (including my passport and the fee). Going to ring them tommorow and see what the story is with the delay. Wouldnt want to be relying on them to get something processed quickly. sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Application has been with them for a few weeks now (including my passport and the fee). Going to ring them tommorow and see what the story is with the delay. Wouldnt want to be relying on them to get something processed quickly. sheesh.

my mate sent off for his a few weeks ago and he had it back within a few days.

Rang them and they said the person that processes them was out sick. When I told them they had my passport for over a month they said they'd have it done today and in the post.

Once I get the forms, I'll update everyone on whats involved. Might be useful information for this forum!

thanks,

James

Discharge book and identity card arrived.

thanks for all the help in this thread,

regards,

James

Advertisement