Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euromillions - What would you do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Spend it on fast cars, fast women and booze, the rest i'd just squander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

kupus wrote: »
    Spend it on fast cars, fast women and booze, the rest i'd just squander

and slow race horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

1. Eurofighter Typhoon for starters.

2. Purchase a large patch of land and build a large airsofting/paintball site on it. Sort of like a fake town solely for airsofting. Bunkers, towers, an urban + surburban area, battlegrounds, trenches, wooded area, etc. Would be great fun.

3. Then with the remaining cash buy the general stuff such as a new car, large house w/golf course, etc. Oh and an airfield as well for the Eurofighter + hire an maintenance crew for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Naturally I'd look after mine and my wife's families. Sadly she has six sisters and two brothers and I have four sisters and one brother. Damm those big Irish families. That will take a bloc of money. Some of them don't need it really but I have to pay them off to stop them going off to the media and revealing, my, ahem, little secret.:cool:

The rest I would attempt to turn into even more millions, not like the Quinns though. Properly. Having said that, quite a lot of it will be invested abroad.

Certain deserving charities will receive some and I will probably invest some with my current boss because he's well on the way to being a millionaire himself.

Other than that I'll simply enjoy it. I might buy a fancy car and a plane or two. Probably racehorses as well.

I was born to be rich but somehow it hasn't happened just yet. Can't understand it. That can change tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You're all very charitable. It's easy to say it now but are you sure you would do all this if your dream came true.

Money usually changes people for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Kolido wrote: »
    You're all very charitable. It's easy to say it now but are you sure you would do all this if your dream came true.

It will exaggerate what you are like already.

Happy with your lot? Pure Nirvana!
    Bit charitable? The begging letters will love you.
    Bit of a gambler? Vegas ahoy!
    Bit of a prick? You'll be a Superstar Cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd add a few quid and pay off my debts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

conorhal wrote: »

I'm a huge movie buff, so I'd use the money finance and produce two or three movies based on books or scripts that I loved, but which otherwise might not get made, or might get made but would probably end up mangled to suit crass commercial interests.
    I'd use the money to become the next Saul Zaentz, a producer renound for respecting artistic integrity and producing quality films that didn't insult an audiences intelligence. It would be nice to be able to say to an artist like Terry Gilliam for example, ‘go, make whichever movie you want to make next and make it the way you want to.’
    Hell, even if the two or three movies tanked horribly and crushed my dream into dust with each film only making a couple of million at the box office, it’s a worst case scenario that would still leave me rich enough to slink off somewhere to sulk about how modern cinema audiences are all stupid popcorn grazing troglodytes while I count my remaining millions.

If I win I'll invest in your films too. Give you free reign. Just as long as you dont make any stupid films. All I want is my name in the credits as the sole investor. And I also wanna act in one too. Now you have two chances of achieving this dream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

Look after the family first.
    Open a record shop
    Buy propetry to rent
    Look at trying to start my company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Kolido wrote: »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/31/euromillions-winners-buy-kieran-maxwell-prosthetic_n_1722761.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

id buy that heineken building,take down that bleedin sign..

open a brewery and create an IRISH beer/ale for irish people to replace the mainstream foreign slop, then put a sign up with the name of my beer. It would be called, Hoseys Extra Smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

If I win I'll invest in your films too. Give you free reign. Just as long as you dont make any stupid films. All I want is my name in the credits as the sole investor. And I also wanna act in one too. Now you have two chances of achieving this dream :D

Whoa! back up there Tarantino! You might think you can act by what about the integrity clause? A guest shot on the Golden Girls as close as your gonna get.
    I will however as compensation I will extend casting couch privileges to you, and as much coke as you can snort off a starlets ass....

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

After I stopped puking I'd probably go for a little lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

conorhal wrote: »

Whoa! back up there Tarantino! You might think you can act by what about the integrity clause? A guest shot on the Golden Girls as close as your gonna get.
    I will however as compensation extend casting couch privileges to you, and as much coke as you can snort off a starlets ass....

Change coke to MDMA and we have a deal my man! But can I at least have one line in one film? I'll play neighbour #1 and just say good morning to the protagonists! I dont want a lead roll. I'll be too busy enjoying my millions to play lead :L

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    1. Eurofighter Typhoon for starters.

2. Purchase a large patch of land and build a large airsofting/paintball site on it. Sort of like a fake town solely for airsofting. Bunkers, towers, an urban + surburban area, battlegrounds, trenches, wooded area, etc. Would be great fun.

3. Then with the remaining cash buy the general stuff such as a new car, large house w/golf course, etc. Oh and an airfield as well for the Eurofighter + hire an maintenance crew for it. :)

Wouldn't a Eurofighter Typhoon give you something of a rediculously unfair advantage in a game of airsoft? I'm just saying.. not very sporting 'ol chap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

I'd buy a house, far far away from where I live. And a Ferrari collection like Chris Evans'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

First and foremost, I'd go on holiday to let the news sink in, nowhere too fancy, just a few days in Spain.

First thing I'd buy would be a house, but not a big mansion or anything, just a modest three/four bed home in the area I grew up in, or near it.
    I've always wanted that, so that wouldn't change just because I suddenly have millions.

Secondly I'd buy a new car, a brand spanking new car-maybe a Lexus.
    Then I'd start giving most of the money to family and close friends, but I wouldn't tolerate those begging letters you get and I certainly would give nothing to "friends" who reappeared out of the woodwork looking for a handout.

I'd never forget friends who helped me in the past, though.
    After that, once all my friends and family have been looked after, I'd put the rest in the bank for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

We should of started ad Boardsie lotto syndicate so we can all get a liittle piece of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

mattjack wrote: »
    I think Tiger tanks are a bit rare even when you're mega rich. I fancy a Sherman tank myself. Or four or five of them for the when the mates come over. Imagine it, lots of beer and tanks to play with!:D

http://www.vord.net/friends/skoda/skoda4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

None of my friends are old enough to have mortgages so I would buy them a house and a car.

Pay of my close relatives mortgages and debt.

Buy my parents a few houses. My dad would need a really big fast car. My mum would need something that will protect her when she crashes. A few million for them too.

Buy my grandparents large houses. And give them a few mil.

I would give my old school an extended building and a 2 million donation.

I would then buy my self a few houses and a few cars. I would go on a 6 week long vacation (Back in college in 6 weeks)

I would give a bit to charitys for old people.

I would have a few politicians "cleaned out"

I would get two million euro in €200 notes and walk around town handing it out to random people.

I would pick 5 people who dont know my or my money who I think deserves a break and pay off their debt.

I would give my neighbours €50k each (I have a really good bunch of neighbours)

Then I would then try to continue with my life as normal. Finish college, get a job as a teacher and continue with life.

I would pay for 2 students each year from my school to go through college (All fees and costs up to masters level)

That would add up to about 100 million and Id still have a fair bit left over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have a 50/50 agreement with my best mate, so if I won 180m, I'd propose something like 15m each, 3m to each immediate family member (33m in this case), get a list of the 100 closest friends between us for 1m each, and 14m to various charities.

I'd imagine a legal agreement for something like that would have to be drawn up in advance to avoid paying a punitive rate of gift tax, if it is even possible to have a huge syndicate with uneven shares where most people obviously were not actually in a syndicate, but it's a nice thought anyhow.

In reality I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack before I could spend a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Buying a Euromillions ticket is simply buying a daydream.
    Tell that to Dolores McNamara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Buy a pint in Dublin and not feel robbed.

Build a house and have a fùckin' enormous cinema section in it with individual lazy boys that have the beer fridges built into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Hiring security personnel would be first on my list. With all these tiger kidnappings of bankers, a filthy rich multi millionaire from a normal background would be too sweet not to chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Clear my mates mortgages. Buy houses for those without. The sure thing of knowing there's a roof over your head for life is a biggie. Insure them and their families to the hilt health wise. My family? Not a red cent. Useless shower with the exception of one.

Throw money at Crumlin childrens hospital and the vincent de paul. Lay down a "war chest" with no strings attached for various organisations(inc Boards) so that said chest scares off the usual ambulance chasers.

Design and build a few houses, one in Ireland, one in north west Spain and one in the US. Collect art and antiquities and really early furniture. In particular Irish stuff, buy it so it stays in the country. Basically when I peg it I'd leave a ready made museum to the state.

Build/restore one of these, none flying today which is a pity, or buy one of these.

Rather than throw money at the usual bottomless charity pit, throw it instead into foundations etc fighting the causes of poverty and illness. Put up a 10 million prize/fund for local Irish projects.

Yachts and all that? Hire em if ever needed(unlikely), ditto for private planes(unless I get one of the previously mentioned yolks flying). Ditto might be a plan for the laydees. I'd get fierce attractive with that kinda moola and I know how thick I can potentially be and what with expensive divorces etc, better to hire rather than buy there too(unless it was someone I already knew in the past and had a lightbulb moment).

Staying local as attractive as that sounds would be a disaster with that kinda money. Begging letters only the start of it. Security would become a major issue for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Tell everyone what I really think of them at work. Then get fired.

Coke+hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

start my own ponzie scheme financial service,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Wibbs wrote: »
    Clear my mates mortgages. Buy houses for those without. The sure thing of knowing there's a roof over your head for life is a biggie. Insure them and their families to the hilt health wise. My family? Not a red cent. Useless shower with the exception of one.

Throw money at Crumlin childrens hospital and the vincent de paul. Lay down a "war chest" with no strings attached for various organisations(inc Boards) so that said chest scares off the usual ambulance chasers.

Design and build a few houses, one in Ireland, one in north west Spain and one in the US. Collect art and antiquities and really early furniture. In particular Irish stuff, buy it so it stays in the country. Basically when I peg it I'd leave a ready made museum to the state.

Build/restore one of these, none flying today which is a pity, or buy one of these.

Rather than throw money at the usual bottomless charity pit, throw it instead into foundations etc fighting the causes of poverty and illness. Put up a 10 million prize/fund for local Irish projects.

Yachts and all that? Hire em if ever needed(unlikely), ditto for private planes(unless I get one of the previously mentioned yolks flying). Ditto might be a plan for the laydees. I'd get fierce attractive with that kinda moola and I know how thick I can potentially be and what with expensive divorces etc, better to hire rather than buy there too(unless it was someone I already knew in the past and had a lightbulb moment).

Staying local as attractive as that sounds would be a disaster with that kinda money. Begging letters only the start of it. Security would become a major issue for you.

I,m with you on the Ju87....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Well I would spend it on house improvements at home.
    I would snap up a little cottage for myself.
    I'd give money to charities especially the childrens hospitals.

After that I would propose some projects for Galway that I would fund:
    An opera house down by the docks, something similiar to Sydney Opera house. It will be called the Galway Bay Opera House and hopefully it would be a worldwide known landmark and attraction and that will help with tourism.
    A concert hall for Galway so that we could take some big names and international artists. Imagine Michael Buble Live in Galway
    I would build the biggest cinema screen in the world in Galway.
    I would put money forward for Irelands oil. We'd be out in recession in no time.

But I'd hold Enda Kenny and FG at ransom. These money projects will only go ahead on some conditions. Ireland can be so backwards on some social issues like abortion and drugs. I would like Ireland to move forward and become open minded on many issues.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Well I would spend it on house improvements at home.
    I would snap up a little cottage for myself.
    I'd give money to charities especially the childrens hospitals.

After that I would propose some projects for Galway that I would fund:
    An opera house down by the docks, something similiar to Sdyney Opera house. Hopefully it would be a worldwide landmark and attraction and that will help with tourism.
    A concert hall for Galway so that we could take some big names and international artists. Imagine Michael Buble Live in Galway
    I would build the biggest cinema screen in the world in Galway.
    I would put money forward for Irelands oil. We'd be out in recession in no time.

But I'd hold Enda Kenny and FG at ransom. These money projects will only go ahead on some conditions. Ireland can be so backwards on some social issues like abortion and drugs. I would like Ireland to move forward and become open minded on many issues.

So far I've a wished for a Tiger Tank and a Ju 87 .. I'm being realistic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I,m with you on the Ju87....
    Yea MJ real pain in the bum there are no airworthy ones. :( Only two intact ones too out of 10's of 1000's built(I reckon the one in the UK museum wouldn't take much to get going). I'm sure there's one or three locked in the Russian permafrost in relatively good nick. They're pulling out ME109's, FW190's and DC3's so fingers crossed. Yer man who co founded Microsoft has restored a few now. Fair play. It's not so long ago that there was pretty much none of the german stuff flying. So come on you lotto bastard!! You can sit in the back MJ. Then again that means I'd be driving, so maybe spend a couple of extra mill on fitting ejections seats... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Imagine Michael Buble Live in Galway
    I have and usually awake screaming in a cold sweat with murderous intentions. I'm sure many Galwegians would find it equally nightmarish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It appears as though I've lost my ticket now so I don't think it's going to happen for me.:mad:
    I even bought the ticket yesterday in case I didn't get a chance today and then I go and lose 180 million:(:(:(:(

Yea MJ real pain in the bum there are no airworthy ones. :( Only two intact ones too out of 10's of 1000's built(I reckon the one in the UK museum wouldn't take much to get going). I'm sure there's one or three locked in the Russian permafrost in relatively good nick. They're pulling out ME109's, FW190's and DC3's so fingers crossed. Yer man who co founded Microsoft has restored a few now. Fair play. It's not so long ago that there was pretty much none of the german stuff flying. So come on you lotto bastard!! You can sit in the back MJ. Then again that means I'd be driving, so maybe spend a couple of extra mill on fitting ejections seats... :D

Similar story with the Tiger Tanks , theres supposed to be a few in swamps and lakes in Russia... I'm hopeful.
    I can see myself turning into Kildare Street in the Tiger 'a la Michael Wittman'

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd buy a dinosaur and let it loose in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

I'd probably lose the run of myself and splash out on new lino for the kitchen. If there was any change left over a new wooden toilet seat for the downstairs jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

antodeco wrote: »
    ill build a wall around dublin and then ill fly jedward home and have them on 24 hour duty driving around on a float,

see how long ye bastards last :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Bought my ticket this evening.

If I'm the sole winner of the jackpot, whoever has thanked this post by the time of the draw, gets 1000 euro.

/thanks pimping

A good dinosaur or a bad one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

TPD wrote: »
    Bought my ticket this evening.

If I'm the sole winner of the jackpot, whoever has thanked this post by the time of the draw, gets 1000 euro.

/thanks pimping

/opens 180,000 separate boards accounts >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Start a new F1 team, getting BMW back on board too.

With the other millions I could probably get car insurance on an E30 BMW 325i (18 year old male student... :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

It appears as though I've lost my ticket now so I don't think it's going to happen for me.:mad:
    I even bought the ticket yesterday in case I didn't get a chance today and then I go and lose 180 million:(:(:(:(

Go on sure,if I win I'll give you a hundred thousand euros and buy you a car,
    would that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'd lodge the winnings to an account where it cannot be touched immediately and take some "loose change" to go on an extended break (alone) to decide how best to a) break the news and b) invest it so as to make it work to its full potential.

To call it life changing would be understatement of the decade and it should be treated with the respect and attention it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Nux wrote: »
    /opens 180,000 separate boards accounts >_>

Hmm.. Join date before today :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I still have a Single Engine Piston rating so I'll fly the Stuka for you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A good dinosaur or a bad one ?

Hmm, interesting. Never thought of that. What exactly would a good dinosaur do? Set up charities? Build homeless shelters?

How much tax would you have to pay on 180 million.

I've a feeling you wouldn't see half of that money after tax.
    If you give substanial sums to family and friends and charities, they too will also have to pay tax on their gifts.

What time is the lotto draw on at?

• Advertisement
Advertisement